Help Choosing A Dog Breed?

Ivy

Ok so my cousin is getting a new dog. We looked at many breeds she even went to shelters. But she wants a dog that is high energy (hyper!) she is a really outgoing person (biking, jogging, hiking, all those crazy stuff) that's why she wants a dog to accompany her. She also wants to try out in frisbee and agility with the dog (there is a dog club by her, that does all that) she wants the dog to be 30-35 pounds she doesn't want a big or a small dog. I told her about border collies but she says their too "typical" and to big for her. (boy is she stubborn lol) here is what she is looking for:

-high energy
-30-35 pounds
-doesn't want long hair (any other fur is fine)
-She doesn't really want any bully breeds (no pits or staffies)

what she really wants is the 30-35 pounds and high energy. Can anyone help me here? And breed ideas?? Thank you!

Please be advised she went to shelters to look but she just couldn't find the one.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
She should try petfinder.com. It searches all the shelters and rescues within a certain radius of your home. You can filter for gender and breed if you wish. Some rescues will ship their dogs if you want.

sara

Staff member
Irish Terrier!!! They sound perfect for her (and they're rare LOL) 30lb, 19" Dog, Bitches are a bit smaller, A wavy wire coat that only needs stripping 2x per year. they're all red (ranging from wheaten to dark red) and excel at agility and other sports. they're very active dogs, very smart, extremely versatile, and fearless. Oh, and they have no known hereditary health problems. They aren't great with other dogs, and are protective of home, but friendly enough once the person is deemed acceptable. My Oliver is likely part Irish Terrier.

Ivy

She should try petfinder.com. It searches all the shelters and rescues within a certain radius of your home. You can filter for gender and breed if you wish. Some rescues will ship their dogs if you want.
Yes I will definitely tell her about that! I totally forgot! Thank you!

Ivy

Irish Terrier!!! They sound perfect for her (and they're rare LOL) 30lb, 19" Dog, Bitches are a bit smaller, A wavy wire coat that only needs stripping 2x per year. they're all red (ranging from wheaten to dark red) and excel at agility and other sports. they're very active dogs, very smart, extremely versatile, and fearless. Oh, and they have no known hereditary health problems. They aren't great with other dogs, and are protective of home, but friendly enough once the person is deemed acceptable. My Oliver is likely part Irish Terrier.

They're very active and are in her weight range!? Sounds just right for her! I knew about Irish terriers I just didn't know too much about them! Thank you! I will definitely tell her about them!

Mutt

Experienced Member
Ooh just one thing active breeds also need mental stimulation besides exercise :)

Reactions: Ivy

Ivy

Ooh just one thing active breeds also need mental stimulation besides exercise :)

Oh yes she is very active! She's a personal fitness trainer and is always on the go and doing some crazy activity! I did tell her about keeping dogs mentally stimulated! She knows

Dlilly

Honored Member
Shelties have long hair, but they are small, athletic, and all around nice dogs! They aren't as 'intense' as Border Collies are.

Australian Shepherds are also a great breed, and also tend to not be as 'intense' as BCs are. They actually aren't all that big! Some can be pretty small! I was amazed when I finally met an Aussie, I though they were big dogs but the dog I met I at first though was a mini Australian Shepherd. :p

There are a lot of high energy Beagles in rescues and shelters. They LOVE hiking, exercise in general, and can excel in agility, nosework, obedience, pretty much most dog sports. Now, some Beagles are lazy, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a crazy one. Also, Treeing Walker Coonhounds and other hound breeds tend to be high energy and not too big. (Treeing walker coonhounds are just very tall.)

You should also do some research on Terriers. There are some really neat Terriers that are great in agility and are small.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Once she picks a breed, she can then probably find a dog in a rescue, or one that needs re-homing. She can also try adoptapet.com

Honestly, there are sooo many dogs in shelters and rescues because they are too high energy you probably won't need to go to a breeder. Instead of bringing more high energy dogs into the world, she can help one that is already here and in need of a home. :)