German Shepherd's

angel_bo_bangel

Ok, so i REALLY want a little german shepherd puppie. German Shepherd's are my FAVORITE type of dog and i love them. I live in the texas and i was wondering if anyone know's any really good german shepherd breeders.

I have a little german shepherd/corgi mix and she is super cute. this time i would like to actually get a real german shepherd.:dogsmile:

l_l_a

GSDs are awesome dogs!!! they are my favorite too!

there are a lot of breeders out there and I don't know enough about individual breeders to recommend, sorry. But I suggest that you definitely do some research on breeders.

With GSDs, you need to be extra careful about choosing which breeder you buy from. This breed has been very badly overbred for many years, which means that many dogs - even those with papers and registration - can have health or temperament problems. they are big powerful dogs with strong guarding/protecting instincts, so you definitely want one who is calm and stable in temperament otherwise they will be a liability.

You may want to go to your local branch of the GSD Club and ask their recommendations. Unless you plan to show the dog or compete in protection sports, you want a "pet quality" dog, not one that is from show lines or working lines.

Also if you haven't already, do a lot of research into the breed to make sure your lifestyle is suitable for the breed or that you can make the adjustments. They absolutely need more obedience training, exercise and socialization than a lot of other breeds because they were bred to work and to guard (even those who are not from working lines still have these instincts more than other breeds). They are high-maintenance dogs. But if you fit this profile, they will reward you ten times over!!

drgnrdr

about the GSD pt 2

"Top 10 Reasons Why a German Shepherd Dog
May Not be the Dog for You"
1. German Shepherds require a serious commitment. Many of the dogs that come to rescue organizations have no training. It is important that the new family puts time and effort into training their rescue dog.
2. These dogs have a high energy level. The very energy that allows these dogs to be police, search, guide and herding dogs is often the reason these dogs are surrendered. If you’re looking for a couch potato you may want to consider a different breed.
3. German Shepherds are highly intelligent. If they are not given a job to do they will often come up with their own.
4. Like any dog, the German Shepherd is a social animal and needs to be part of a family. The loyalty that endears this breed to many requires that it not be banished to the backyard.
5. German Shepherds are large dogs. The number one reason given by people surrendering German Shepherds is moving. Usually apartments do not welcome these dogs. If you don’t know where you will be a few years down the line it is not the right time to adopt.
6. These dogs shed non-stop.
7. They can be vocal, often whining and barking to communicate. If left alone for prolonged periods of time they may become problem barkers.
8. If you don’t like doggy smell, consider a different breed. Also, bathing can be challenging due to the dog’s water-resistant outer coat.
9. A German Shepherd must respect its owner. This is not accomplished by heavy-handedness; it is only achieved when its owner treats the dog with equal respect.
10. These dogs originated as herding dogs. It is a heritage they carry still. Keep this in mind if you or your neighbors have livestock. Remember that in the state of California a dog harassing livestock may be shot.
Ó 1998 Julie Connolly for German Shepherd Rescue
The German Shepherd Dog is a large, active dog with a dense double coat. This double coat sheds year round, and produces even greater volumes of fur when the dogs "blow coat" in the spring and fall. Some shed more than others. For some owners, this is not a trivial point.
The breed was developed for service as a herding and general purpose working animal. The desire to "work" or do something is genetic and is stronger in some GSDs than in others. Most adult GSDs are loyal, loving, protective, and intelligent. Without proper training, GSDs can also be rambunctious, destructive of property, and exhausting to live with. It is up to you to guide your dog to suit your lifestyle and that of your family. Most, if not all, GSDs need training and a structured lifestyle to thrive in the home and become a canine good citizen.
You should consider the following recommendations as your basic commitment to your new GSD.
Take an obedience course to assure that you are the dog's leader.
Be prepared to socialize your dog by exposing it to as many people and situations as possible to develop its confidence.
Vigorously exercise the adult GSD at least 20 minutes daily.
Brush the coat often. Trim nails, clean ears, and brush teeth as needed.
If a change of residence is required, make sure that your GSD is welcome at the new address. Realize that a GSD is a very social animal and should not be left alone for long periods of time. Before a problem gets out of hand be willing to call a trainer, a behaviorist, or a member of the local rescue group for help.
Credits
The preceding section (following the "Top 10 Reasons...") was excerpted, with some modifications, from a brochure written and produced as a service to the public and the venerable German Shepherd Dog breed by an eclectic group of individual GSD owners, breeders, and trainers. The full brochure is available for reproduction and distribution free of charge by e-mailing. If you received an electronic copy we invite you to print it in your newsletters, add it to your Web pages, forward it to others, or cross-post as long as you leave these CREDITS attached.

Although some puppies' ears stand as early as 8-10 weeks, don't be concerned if your pup's ears don't stand until 6-7 months (especially pups with large ears) after teething. Some pups ears never stand. This is known as a "soft ear". Sometimes taping is successful. "Soft ears" are a genetic trait, and dogs with soft ears should not be bred even if taping is successful. It is a disqualification in showing. Some GSDs ears stand but wiggle at the tips when the dogs run. This is known as "friendly ears". Friendly ears are not a disqualification but are not a desirable trait.
One method of "taping" ears is to take a pink foam roller and attach it with eyelash glue to the inside of the ear (the pinna). Do not block the ear canal. Taping may take up to 2 months. But again, be cautious about considering breeding a dog whose ears have had to be taped.
Do not pet your puppies ears backwards from nose to tail, or rub the base of the ears, this causes some to break the cartiledge down in the ear, and could cause the ears to not stand properly, just pet them on the chest or sides until their ears have been standing strong for at least 2 months, the larger the ears the more you have to leave them alone, when they go thru the teething stage they loose some calcium to teeth production and ears may take a backseat due to this.
I have a love of these dogs that could be called obsessive, but I have researched and read everything I could get my hands or eyes on to get to know this breed better and have done so since I got my first one at age 14. There is conflicting info on this breed, but there is conflict over German vs American line GSD's. I tried to give info for all to check for yourself if you choose to do so. Martin Wahl has a really great site about the breed and he has researched German language documents.
http://www.dogstuff.info/gsd_history.html Pictures are there also. This website helped me see the difference and why GSD's look so different and why some have drive/herd and others don't. I hope I have given you enough about these wondeful dogs, I am sorry this is so long.
I always recommend rescue over breeders, too many are out there needing homes already, the reality of getting an excellent breeder and not a Puppymill or Back yard breeder is very slim, read "what makes a good breeder" and start there, research anyone breeding dogs before you buy.
Like I said I am very passionate about the GSD always have been.

zevlovesdogs

when you look for a german sheperd, you want to see perents and grand perents.
Why because you can see how they behave, if they are well, and the most important they do not have hip displasea. German sheperds are a high energy dog
so you will have to dedicate some time every day to take them out and get them
a little tired. You can not leave them in a huge yard and say well they have the
huge yard to run in. Thats different when you spend time with them. they get tired mentally and that way they are always balanced. They wont dig holes, or pull sprinkles or mess up your house. they are a great family protection friend. I got 3
and I love them.

snooks

Experienced Member
Heidelberg German Shepherds in Spring Texas is the only place we used to kennel our dogs when we lived there. He fed all the dogs a great raw diet and has many generations of champions there with his co-owner. He has a few different lines and teaches dog classes there and puppy socialization. You might check him out. He was getting a little older the last few years so I don't know if he was retiring or turning over to his co-owner.

Beautiful sheps, quality breeder, sound temperaments and health. Very very caring and good to our dogs who he boarded for over a decade. He always had a story to tell me about our dogs while we were gone. I never was in the market for a Shepherd then but I would certainly have checked him out. He def cared about his dogs and their diets and even the boarding dogs diets. He had a lot of champions out of his stock and actively competed in confirmation and I'm not sure what else. It would be worth checking if you live or want to drive to north of Houston.

the best way to find a good breeder is to go to www.akc.org and breed clubs or rescue clubs usually have lists of breeders and & some pedigreed rescues. not that these are guaranteed to be great but you can start with this because they will discuss behavior and exercise needs, good and bad qualities, things to deal with, health issues to certify or grade, then you look at who is competing and winning akc titles out there and find their names and see if they are on the list you have or start calling them if you can find their web sites or kennels. the winners of titles are listed by kennel name and dog name so you'll be able to tell a lot by digging through.

when you call expect the 3rd degree about your experience with GSD's and how you live and train and what type of fenced yard and exercise and training classes your puppy will receive. If you currently train they'll want references and to talk with your trainers. This is the sign of a good breeder because a puppy mill won't care about any of this. If you are an inexperienced owner they might not sell to you b/c GSD's aren't always for a novice owner. Don't be offended, they care about these dogs a lot and want to ensure their happy futures by making the best desicions.

You should ask a lot of questions to and be able to go see the parents and the facility where the dogs are. i prefer breeders that do one or at most two breeds of dogs and don't have more than one litter at a time. when i see several breeds and numerous litters i think of puppy mills and undersocialized dogs. the puppies should be raised in the house with people (preferably lots of kids and lots of handling) not out in a kennel somewhere or a barn/garage. if you can't go see the place don't get a puppy there. visit often before you pick up your puppy to be sure conditions are as you saw before.

if you look through www.grca.org which is the golden retriever sight of America you'll find lists of questions you should ask and things to know about the pedigree and can translate this for GSD's understand the OFA hip scores and what they mean. Know what 6+ generations back of your puppy died of and what their hips, elbows, eyes, hearts, and thyroids were scored. Find the big GSD health risks and ask that all the dogs are certified and ask to see their scores. Examples of these scores and how to read them are all on the internet and you can mine through that GRCA site to find them or the akc site or google GSD breed club state or america--then find similar for GSD's. does the breeder give a guarantee to take the puppy back for any time and any reason and demand first rights to get the puppy back if ever you can’t keep it? that is the sign of a breeder that cares. Is there a spay neuter contract? That is also the sign of a responsible breeder.

Is this person showing and winning with sound healthy dogs and why did he choose to breed these two specific dogs. Be prepared to wait, responsible breeders don't usually breed unless they know most of the litter will already be spoken for depending on how many. You may luck out and get an extra puppy but a wait is to be expected.

Last there are some great sound wonderful GSD's in rescue from puppies to seniors. It sure can't hurt to look. Most owner surrenders I worked with were people that just had no time or money or moved but had great dogs. Fostering to see if the dog is right for you is also an option. A few weeks might make a big difference and save a life for a new forever home even if it isn't yours. Who knows if you'll find a soul dog--I did, a little GSD mix that was the best girl of my heart for so long. :dogtongue2: