Finally got a camcorder - RALLY O!

pamperedpups

My little Toy Poodle and I attended a Rally O workshop last weekend at My Dogs Gym in Salem, OR. We had a great time, learned a lot and are looking forward to the next workshop in July. I was able to have a video shot of our last practice run that you can see by going to youtube and searching for "Pood Rally O Workshop"

If you have any suggestions, please share!

Pood is my crossover dog, about 10 years old, and sighted in only one eye (his right one). We are entered in our first AKC Rally O Novice A classes on the 25th at a couple outdoor trials in Canby. I hope to get video there, too, and will let you all know how we do!

storm22

Experienced Member
ive never tried rally o before it sounds interesting from what ive herd, will be looking out for the vids

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member

I posted the link for you so others can see it easily. I think your run looked great. My advice to anyone working on rally or obedience is to practice as much as you can at pet stores and in other distracting environments.
I did notice your dog had trouble going back to heeling after a stationary exercise. It seems he has trouble differentiating between stay and heel. I think this is common among a lot of dogs, to be hesitant to go back to heeling after being asked to be stationary. I am assuming this is AKC rally so I am not sure of all the rules...but is it possible for you to use a more obvious signal for heeling like slapping your side to make it really clear that it is time for him to get up and come with you, oppose to stay where he is. Or even just working on transitions and phasing that out.
Over all I love his eye contact and focus and I think he will only continue to get better as you practice more and more. I also love that you don’t need to bend all the way down to the ground to get your dog to lie down, which so many handlers do.

sara

Staff member
Looks like alot of fun! I wanted to do Rally-O with my deaf Terrier Scout, but we dont have any clubs here for mutts :(