Feeling Frustrated

Anneke

Honored Member
I just thought of a human equivalent: some people enjoy doing puzzles, all they are doing is finding pieces of cardboard that fit together to make a picture (and they usually already know what the picture looks like!), but they like doing them and will work on the same puzzle for hours a day, for weeks.
But I think they would enjoy them a lot less if someone sat next to them and handed them each puzzle piece, one at a time, in order, untill the puzzles done. They wouldn't need to think so the puzzle would become amazingly boring, no one wants to do a puzzle like that.
648117, That is the best explanation I have ever heard!!!

You know, something else may be going on. And that has to do with your attitude.
Somehow a lot of people approach an obedience exercise differently that a trick. Simply because the obedience is a must and the trick is for fun.
I know I have done this myself for a long time. Untill someone told me, that the way I reward is different when I reward, lets say a good heel, than when I reward a sit up.
So I took a step back in my obedience training, payed more attention to my attitude and started rewarding like cray. Food and play! Exaggereted sqealing!:rolleyes: Just like I do when I train a new trick and she does it right for the first time...And rewarding unpredictably.
So, I don't know if this is the case with you. I know, I thought I did reward the same way, but I don't like obedience training, and that showed in my rewarding. I just never saw it myself;)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Chloe gets bored/frustrated very fast with obedience or tricks. She loves tricks (not so much obedience), but she gets frustrated quickly. I have come to just working with her for 2-3 minutes per training session, then giving her at least an hour break. Don't know how long you keep your training sessions to, but maybe try making them shorter, and stopping when he still wants to learn. (Sorry if something like this has already been said, I didnt read all of the replies.)