Drop It

myraellen

My friend is trying to teach her dog to drop in the way it's done in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lQ8umLaTpI At first her dog get really excited about the toy but when she gives her dog treat, her dog is already taking the toy back before eating it completely. After she has done this few times, her dog doesn't want to take the toy anymore. Does anyone has some ideas how she could teach her dog or what should she do in this situation?
My friend would like to use play as a reward, but her dog should first learn to take and give on cue. Can someone advice how to teach the dog?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Does the dog enjoy it when she throws the toy? If the dog does, she could try teaching her that the toy doesn't get thrown again until the dog drops it. Just wait and be patient. When the dog finally gets bored and drops it, throw it! This obviously is not the best way to teach drop it, but if the other way doesn't work, there's not a whole lot of other options you have (actually I'm sure there is, I just don't know them! :) )