Don't Run Back Across The Road

nora

Our black lab is so very eager to please he puts himself in near death situations. Because my work hours go late, my husband and I take Zorro for walks after dark. We let him roam free while we walk down our lane and then leash him on the road. However, he often crosses the road before we get there. When we get to the road, he wants to dash back across to greet us (normal for a black lab.) But, he often runs right in front of cars, which isn't such a hot idea for a black dog at night!

Dogster

Honored Member
I would keep Zorro on a leash at all times. What you're describing seems like a very dangerous situation, I wouldn't want Zorro to get hurt, I don't think you would too. Especially since he's a black dog, and if he did get lost or if he ran away, it would be hard for you to find him.

madeleine

Experienced Member
I also agree with Dogster and Southerngirl. Keep him on the leash when you walk in your lane. And with a glowing leash/colar it's even more safe.
Then you can also train him so come on commant, and also to stay at a place.. Even a distance stay can be usefull.
However, I still wouldn't let him off the leash neat traffic..

Mutt

Experienced Member
I would keep him on leash in areas like this (where there is traffic).
And start training on invisible boundaries (teaching the dog that the street is off limits and he may only go on the sidestep/grass), youtube has good teaching videos for this (check out Kikopup).

Dlilly

Honored Member
If you're in a public area, sidewalk, park, hiking trails, you should be considerate of others and keep your dog on a leash. Along with it being dangerous, not everyone likes being greeted by a dog, or they may own a DINOS dog. (Dog In Need Of Space) If you would like to let your dog run off leash, you should bring him to a baseball field or a dog park. They are fenced in so your dog can run around off leash and have fun. :)

Anneke

Honored Member
I have my dogs off leash on the sidewalk too, but mine know to stop at the curb.
This is something I teach from the very first day. Stop at the curb or corner and wait for my release word.
And they know a distance stay. So when they do cross the road and something happens, I can stop them from coming and have them stay where they are.
I think those two cue's are very important if you live in a city area.;)

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree with all the above posts. I have a flashing/glowing collar for Ra Kismet as he's mostly black and very hard to see at night. By law we're not allowed to have dogs off leash on the sidewalk or anywhere public other than the Pooch Park or at certain times of the year the beach (even then the dog MUST be under total verbal control), but even so, I train from day one the same as Anneke, just in case! Both my boys know 'curb drill' it' one of the top important commands, a potentially life saving one. Saved the life/injury of my late Mom's Lab X who was stolen, escaped and found his way home. She spotted him the other side of a very busy road, only his knowledge of curb drill which he did even in a very stressful/joyful time, saved him from an accident.

nora

Yes, we have started putting him on the leash when we near the road. We live in an area where we may not actually see a car the whole time we are walking (we are more likely to see deer,) but there are a few occasional folks who think that means that they can drive like maniacs. Although I understand intellectually that leashes are important, I hate seeing a large dog tied up. They need to run, run, run. But, I suppose that prejudice was trained into me by my Dad who viewed packs of dogs as the peer group he ran with as a teen in a small, Montana town.

One of these days, I will remember to post a photo!

nora

Zorro has learned to stop at the road, now; so, I don't have to panic that he will be hit. My husband has been working with him; so, I can't take any of the credit :-)

I am going to repost some of those great resources you all have posted on my own Facebook page for my web development students - I keep telling them that participating in online forums is a good thing. Also, I think that we will create a blog page of training resources for the Doggestive Daily website. It's great to have a guy who is crazy about dogs as a client. That's one thing I really like about working with small business owners - they are passionate about their fields, not just a little wheel in a big machine.

MaryK

Honored Member
Teaching 'Drop on Recall' can be another wonderful lifesaver!
Linda, I've tried teaching drop on recall with Ra Kismet, so far he just looks at me as if I've gone a bit barmyO_o:)

What's a good way to teach this? He's not fond of drop though:(

Sorry I've hi-jacked the thread a little but it's still a bit relevant I think:)

MaryK

Honored Member
That's grand that Zorro has finally got it to stop at the road!!!!!!!!! Very pleased to hear that and kudos to your husband!:)(y)

I agree, working with small business owners is so much better than the big companies.