Crossing One Leg Over The Other...

MaryK

Honored Member
Excellent vid(y) Huntyr is a good 'model'. Also, that's something which has had me a bit perplexed, to click/treat if the dog only does the trick quickly, so you've answered that one as well:)(y)

How did you get him to target though? Was he used to this?
Sorry for the questions, but it's a neat trick and I would like to teach it too Ra Kismet .

Dogster

Honored Member
Great video!!!:) That's a really good way to teach cross.:D

Mary,Ra Kismet already knows target, sort of. When he puts his paw on the ball, that's kind of a target. You can teach him target by trying to make him put his paw on other things. You can substitute your command for "target" or "touch" once he gets used to targetting an object. The you can teach him to target the object wherever it is. :)

sara

Staff member
Very good! That's how I taught Oliver too... but I spotted a couple of issues. now this might be because you were doing a "how to" and you dont usually make these mistakes, but I want to point them out.

You need to reward every time you click, even if you click at the wrong time (or for the wrong behaviour). otherwise the clicker looses "power" And watch your timing. sometimes you click long after Huntyr has completed the behaviour and put his paw down again.

I hope you're ok with my "unsolicited advice" if not, I can remove this post.

MaryK

Honored Member
Great video!!!:) That's a really good way to teach cross.:D

Mary,Ra Kismet already knows target, sort of. When he puts his paw on the ball, that's kind of a target. You can teach him target by trying to make him put his paw on other things. You can substitute your command for "target" or "touch" once he gets used to targetting an object. The you can teach him to target the object wherever it is. :)
Thank you Dogster, that's a great help, will start on that today, as I can see how useful it will be to know 'target' or 'touch'.(y) We'll have to train inside, so no heel work today, the weather is just a bit too bad. Having a 'new' thing to teach him may just keep him happy. At present he's looking a bit woebegone:rolleyes:

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol nice video! I'm yet to teach Evie this one.

Sara beat me to it, but I was going to mention those exact same things. But GREAT work!! I love how focused Huntyr is :p

huntyr

Very good! That's how I taught Oliver too... but I spotted a couple of issues. now this might be because you were doing a "how to" and you dont usually make these mistakes, but I want to point them out.

You need to reward every time you click, even if you click at the wrong time (or for the wrong behaviour). otherwise the clicker looses "power" And watch your timing. sometimes you click long after Huntyr has completed the behaviour and put his paw down again.

I hope you're ok with my "unsolicited advice" if not, I can remove this post.
absolutely, I want this type of things pointed out to me!!! If I didnt I wouldnt bother to video and share.

I see what you are saying about the clicker. I havent always used a clicker and am finding it hard to hold a clicker, a treat, and pointor position him to what I want. I will definetely pay more attention to when I am clicking!
Thanks!

&&&&&

How did you get him to target though? Was he used to this?
Sorry for the questions, but it's a neat trick and I would like to teach it too Ra Kismet .
I start with a target for alot of things I am teaching. I use the lid off a butter container or any small object. I just started by putting it in front of him and he pawed at it. At first any touch got treated. But slowly I only treated when ONLY his right paw touched. Not both paws, no nose. Just right paw. I move it all over and make him move to touch it.
Then I started to put it where I wanted his paw to be.
Hope that helps.

Evie

Experienced Member
You don't need to hold the treat :-) if you have the clicker in one hand, you can point with the other. Then you can have your treats near by in a container or in a pile or how ever you like and just grab one after every click. This works because Huntyr knows that click means treat, so if you're a bit slow giving the treat he won't mind because he knows it is coming. Just remember that you must give him a treat every time you click regardless of whether you meant to clock or not, otherwise Huntyr will stop associating click with treat.

Hopefully this will help free up some hand space for you lol.

Hopefully that made sense.... Replying from my phone is not easy :-P

huntyr

trust me, I understand the replying from phone!! As I end up doing that alot too.
Typing from the phone is a nice feature but its a pain in the butt too LOLOL

I am going to relearn the clicker from my end LOL
see you can teach an old dog new tricks LOL

thanks for all your help *S*

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol goodluck! You're already doing well lol, just a few little bits to touch up to make it easier for both you and huntyr :-)

I've started teaching Evie this trick too now, these threads are great motivators!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
All good tips above. Having a good target makes so many things easier. (And a side note: Mary - and anyone else reading with a reactive dog <altho Ra Kismet barely falls into this catagory anymore> having a good hand-touch is a great thing out on a walk, cuz you can always keep asking for a "touch" then c/t while you walk as a distraction to get by a highly arousing situation). I targeting when teaching this, I use a target stick a lot - had one like this http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Click-Stick-Dog-Trainer/dp/B0010DNDPA til Alf took a chomp off the end and broke it. :oops::LOL: It extends, it easy to use and click - it's great. But now use just a plain "target stick" which is a stick with a colored cap on the end, so I can point at/toward most anything and gives distance between me and the object, send them places, etc. And a finger works well too. :D

And Evie is right, keep your treats close by in a pile, a bowl, or wherever - easily grabbed. I usually wear a training bag so no matter where I am, they're with me. Also, I'm usually working with two dogs, and it prevents one from "helping themselves" while I'm busy working with the other one. :giggle::ROFLMAO: (We won't discuss what girl was helping herself to the bag of chicken last week, caught with the baggie stuck on her mouth - the one time I didn't have the training bag on). :sneaky: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
I start with a target for alot of things I am teaching. I use the lid off a butter container or any small object. I just started by putting it in front of him and he pawed at it. At first any touch got treated. But slowly I only treated when ONLY his right paw touched. Not both paws, no nose. Just right paw. I move it all over and make him move to touch it.
Then I started to put it where I wanted his paw to be.
Hope that helps.
Thank you Huntyr, I'll start doing this with Ra Kismet.

MaryK

Honored Member
All good tips above. Having a good target makes so many things easier. (And a side note: Mary - and anyone else reading with a reactive dog <altho Ra Kismet barely falls into this catagory anymore> having a good hand-touch is a great thing out on a walk, cuz you can always keep asking for a "touch" then c/t while you walk as a distraction to get by a highly arousing situation). I targeting when teaching this, I use a target stick a lot - had one like this http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Click-Stick-Dog-Trainer/dp/B0010DNDPA til Alf took a chomp off the end and broke it. :oops::LOL: It extends, it easy to use and click - it's great. But now use just a plain "target stick" which is a stick with a colored cap on the end, so I can point at/toward most anything and gives distance between me and the object, send them places, etc. And a finger works well too. :D

And Evie is right, keep your treats close by in a pile, a bowl, or wherever - easily grabbed. I usually wear a training bag so no matter where I am, they're with me. Also, I'm usually working with two dogs, and it prevents one from "helping themselves" while I'm busy working with the other one. :giggle::ROFLMAO: (We won't discuss what girl was helping herself to the bag of chicken last week, caught with the baggie stuck on her mouth - the one time I didn't have the training bag on). :sneaky: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Jackie been checking the url, great product, am trying to find where they ship for over seas cannot seem to find it yet:( Will try Amazon Australia, fingers crossed.

Still a good tip to know Jackie even though Ra Kismet barely falls into the catagory anymore. He's actually very good at touching my hand, LOL it smells strongly of treats, so with training to a target stick, this will improve even more. Always useful to have another 'trick' up your sleeve just in case.

LOL oh Alf, how could you:rolleyes::D I don't think it would taste too good. Anyway it was accidental wasn't it, the end just happen to fall off when you touched it, that's how it happened right!:D

It wouldn't have been Makena would it? The bag jumped into my mouth HONEST!!!!!!

I noticed the bag I keep treats in has a few teeth marks, am STRONGLY suspecting it was Rakins, as it was on the table and Zeus wouldn't be able to reach it - he would if he could though:rolleyes::D Rakins doesn't have any problems with tables, he just jumps on them:rolleyes: