Agility

jacquelinefane

Hi Everyone!

I would really like to start training my Cabela for Agility. I don't really wan't to compete with her I just think it would be a really fun, bonding experience for the both of us. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get started, or what obstacle is easiest to start with. We have started working on having Cabela follow hand commands. So when I point at places she will go. It seemed like a good starting point. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jacqueline

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jacqueline!

Nice avatar!!! :dogbiggrin: Looks great, by the way you can use the crop tool so that when you save the avatar it zooms in, like mine :) And if you hold the shift button you can select the size of it by dragging a corner of the zoom box.

Agility training is fun!!! And dogs love it, I used to train my dog Onyx to do agility and I loved it. But competing wasn't for me, so I started training dog tricks instead :dogblush:.

The best obstacle to start training is a jump. Then probably the dog walk or A-Frame (set low for beginners), but agility equipment is expensive. So unless you have tons of $$$ or you want to make your own, the best way is to find a local club or training facility which you can be a member of and use their equipment to train your dog.

One thing you have to consider though - you might have to train your dog while there are other dogs present. Which will create a huge distraction for your dog, and in the beginning you might find yourself training your dog to focus on you instead of doing obstacles. In the end though, you should aim towards doing full obstacles courses, it's not competing, but it's a series of obstacles in a row. It really gives your dog a good workout! :msngrin:

Let me know if you have any more questions!

jacquelinefane

Thank you so much.
That helped alot. I never really felt like competing because I am so competitive and I don't wan't Cabela to ever pick up on that.

Thank you

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
:doghappy: There is nothing wrong with being competitive or competing in agility, sometimes that brings out the best of you!

... But paying 15$ for a 2 minutes run on an agility field, which you get disqualified if you make a mistake, is not my idea of fun. But don't let that stop you, I'm sure if you are with a bunch of friends then it's a lot more fun. :dogbiggrin:

So don't let me discourage you from trying it!

cturner37

Use whats around you. Park benches are brilliant! Get your dog running then up on the seat, tell him to wait/stay, then run off the other side. If you have a park with what we call picnic tables (they have bench seats attached) you can go up and over these as well! Dont be put off by the general public giving you bad looks, kids climb over these things constantly in filthy shoes!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe I used to do that with my husky. I remember the first time she jumped up full speed and slided off the other side. It was hilarious :)