Zeus Is Going To The Vets On Monday

MaryK

Honored Member
Please, would you all keep Zeus in your thoughts, prayers, whatever you feel comfortable with, as he's going to the vets on Monday (my time).

Not sure what's going to happen. He's kinda fine, but his back legs are very weak. Although being the stoic dog he is, he's 'dealing' with them without any fuss. We think, from just speaking on the phone, he's loosing muscle as he doesn't appear to be in pain. If he needs help he gives me a special look, other than that he's happy to 'manage' those pesky back legs himself - "No thanks Mom I can manage" - he's a game chap and doesn't make a fuss!

He's still going for a very slow walk around half a block each day, and he's still weeing at everything an inch high. But he can no longer cock his leg, which he used to do to a point where he almost toppled over. "Hey I'm a BOY and proud of it":D

He has lost weight, mainly in the hind quarters but is still eating like a horse and very much alert to any treats being handed out. However, he is now on a very soft diet, raw was too much for him, and would appreciate any suggestions as to how to add fat to his chicken casserole meal. The vet suggested, over the phone, getting the puppy one but afraid so far no luck in finding a place which sells a puppy version.

As Zeus has Cushings, it's a worry to see him go down so quickly in the hind quarters.

Plus he's having what I call 'senior moments'. He's been a brilliant dog in heel work, never agility or trick work, but his heel work was superb and he had a bomb proof stay. I could have gone around the world and he'd still be in the same place - not I hasten to add did I ever leave him like that:) But now I will say Stay and sometimes he wanders after me as if to say "Hey Mom, know you want me to do something but ummmmm what was it?. And I think his hearing isn't quite as good as it used to be either, sometimes I have to say his name quite loudly and I NEVER have had to in the past, before he realizes I am calling him. Although that's no biggie, if his hearing goes, I learn doggy sign language - I'll bombard this forum for help of course!;)

He's still very happy, even though his life style has altered quite a bit. I think the only thing which upsets him is not going for a good long walk with his sister Leaf - he adored playing "Big Bro Protector from those pesky barking dogs" to her. Other than that he's sleeping a lot, snoring a lot and still eating a lot. I'm going to make him some mental games, like the ones on Anneke's vids. easy ones he can do sitting/laying down. It may help him to have some mental stimulation now he cannot do heel work all that well and play time with Leaf is definitely a no no. She's wonderful, totally respects the fact Zeus can no longer play with her - they're so sweet together.

My partner, who's a qualified massage bod, is massaging his legs and this does seem to help quite a lot.

Hopefully his urine sample and other tests will come up negative and well, it's just a matter of managing his weak legs. But as I know you will all appreciate , I am a little worried about him.

Will let you know after he's been what the verdict is, it'll be fine I'm sure but......well he's my boy and I love him so much. Mom's having a bit of a worry attack and needs some shoulders to lean on - thanks guys it's so good to have this forum to turn too.:)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Hope everything goes well at the vets. Don't know if this will be any comfort to you, but Chase has already lost pretty much all fat and muscle on his hind legs an ike Zeus he eats plenty but has lost weight. Chase pretty much lives in senior moments. So what Zeus is going through is common for old dogs.
That's great that Leaf understands he can't play anymore, but sad that Zeus can't play. Old dogs just break your heart watching them deteriorate.

MaryK

Honored Member
Hope everything goes well at the vets. Don't know if this will be any comfort to you, but Chase has already lost pretty much all fat and muscle on his hind legs an ike Zeus he eats plenty but has lost weight. Chase pretty much lives in senior moments. So what Zeus is going through is common for old dogs.
That's great that Leaf understands he can't play anymore, but sad that Zeus can't play. Old dogs just break your heart watching them deteriorate.
Thank you so much Danielle.:)

Yes, what you've said about Chase is a BIG comfort to me. Chase is quite a bit older than Zeus, so it gives me a lot of comfort to know what Zeus is experiencing is normal for older dogs. Can manage all that with ease, just a matter of adjusting to his needs.

Leaf's marvelous, she just loves Zeus, accepts him as he is now and NEVER bugs him at all over anything. Not even when he wanders into her training space, she just waits patiently for me to set Zeus back in his position as the 'audience'.:)

It is heartbreaking watching them deteriorate - as you said in a post a while back - it SUCKS!!!!!!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Gosh it is so hard to see them grow old... Hope his problems aren't too big.
It sure is hard seeing them grow old. And because I know he has Cushings I do get a little bit scared, especially after I nearly lost him last year. Thank you, I too hope his problems are just 'old age', can deal with that, even though it's tough to see, but so long as HE'S happy that's the important thing. And he doesn't seem to be unhappy, apart from not walking with Leaf, he's just adjusting to everything in his usual calm, stoic manner.

MaryK

Honored Member
It's such a comfort to have this forum to come too. You've no idea how much either! Thank you all so much.:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Sorry to hear about Zeus. Zeus, you and Leaf will be in my thoughts on Monday. Wishing you good news.
Thank you so much Ripleygirl:D . Leaf's coming too, to lend morale support:) Zeus seems a bit better today, so I'm sure it's all going to be good news. Just me having a worry attack.:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Yo Zeus The Big Kahuna here! First, apologies for the delay in replying but my Vet had a family emergency yesterday, so my visit was put off until tonight.

Well, chuffed to say for a mature aged chap I'm not doing too badly, especially considering I've got Cushings.
Pleased to say I've put on quite a bit of weight since I nearly died last year. I'm now a respectable 24.58 kilos. Big relief that, chap doesn't want to be a skinny, anorexic dog. The ladies like a fellow to have a bit of muscle;) .

Seems though, I do have a mild infection in my bladder, got some HUGE tablets to take for that. Had to 'man up' on those, but well I chomped them down and Mom gave me a yummy treat afterwards. Mom's got to drop a urine sample into the Vet's in three weeks time to make sure that's all gone. As Ms. Kyle said, she wants to 'knock that infection on the head....FAST ...before it gets any worse and I suffer kidney failure'. Didn't like the sound of that but she assured me it wasn't that bad and the medication will take care of everything. Only on a medium strength Cephalexin Apex. not the heavy duty medication I was on before.

My pesky legs are caused by a combination of muscle wasting from the Cushings and arthritis. But I'm not having medication for that, instead I'm going to have Acupuncture and Massage treatment YEAH!!!!!!!! Sounds pretty good to me and Mom says the needles don't hurt at all!!!!!!!!! And who doesn't just LOVE a massage!:cool::love: BTW Mom's a bit jealous, she wants a massage too!:rolleyes: Gotta see another Vet for the Acupuncture, another lady, at their other surgery. Mom's met her before, when my beloved late bro Ra Kismet was so ill, and she assures me she's just as lovely as Ms. Kyle. She'll assess me, cuz the problem with medication is that because I have Cushings, pain medication could cause complete Kidney failure and well....we won't go there!

Sight's not so good in one eye. Mom thought it was going and Ms. Kyle my vet confirmed that I am loosing sight in the right eye. But hey, I personally don't think that's such a biggie, I can still ogle the ladies with one eye;)

All my other vital organs are in perfect working order. Heart's beating strongly, lungs are just fine and although I'm just a tad sway back (again that wretched Cushings) and there's a little muscle wastage, Ms. Kyle is very pleased with my overall condition. She said Mom's doing a wonderful job with my diet. I was thrilled to here that cuz Mom really does try to do the very best for me.

Needless to say my manners were perfect and I had a wonderful time, loads of cuddles and pats and of course heaps of yummy treats. My sister Leaf was a little over excited at first. She came along to be weighed and to give me moral support, but she settled down and explored the consulting room, and can you BELIEVE it - actually went behind the counter in reception and took a great interest in Robin (the nurse) making up my tables. Hummm, wonder if she has a career as a Vet Nurse! Oh, and naturally, she showed off her tricks - such a show off! :D:rolleyes:;)

So, all in all, I'm not doing so badly for a mature aged chap. And I want to thank you all very much for all your prayers and well wishes, they really have held Mom together because she was in a bit of a worry about me, after what happened last year.

THANK YOU ALL YOU ROCK....Your Friend Zeus The Big Kahuna!!!!!!!:love::love::love::love::love:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Glad to hear the good news! And nice to know you were as spoilt as you should be by all the staff.. being the gentleman that you are. Hope Leaf did not steal your show but glad she was there for your moral support!!! :love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Glad to hear the good news! And nice to know you were as spoilt as you should be by all the staff.. being the gentleman that you are. Hope Leaf did not steal your show but glad she was there for your moral support!!! :love:
Thank you:D Mom's so relieved too! Leaf didn't steal my show, she's young and a bit silly at times, but a well behaved lassie. Glad to have her with me, she needs to know too that a visit to the vets isn't anything to get upset about. Glad I could be her mentor can't have her letting the side down, we've all got a very good name at the vets:)