Zac's Came Sew Close To Big Trouble...

running_dog

Honored Member
Zac spent yesterday afternoon at the vets.

How does a dog,

... any dog,

... let alone a dog as finicky as Zac,

... manage to swallow an inch and a half long (threaded) needle?

How does that needle pass right through his digestive system without causing any apparent problems until it finally sticks just before it exits the other end (with the cotton thread showing to let me know may be a BIG problem)?

The only injury the vets found was one needle hole (just a hole, no tear) there may be scrapes inside his guts but no apparent perforations though we have be vigilant for the next few days.

Zac came home with loads of antibiotics. He spent right up until this morning staggering and sleeping off the anaesthetic but by this afternoon he felt well enough to tease Gus, play fetch and eat sardines :rolleyes:, boiled chicken and rice. The vets are obviously concerned about infection though they were happy with how he was this morning, hopefully he'll be okay but...

... that was too close.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh, poor Zac...... I would have panicked and gone into hysteria!!!!O_o See, dogs don't understand that they're NOT supposed to eat EVERYTHING. When Shivon was 2 months old, she swallowed a finger puppet.:sick:I'm glad Zac is OK, but that was ONE CLOSE CALL.

running_dog

Honored Member
See, dogs don't understand that they're NOT supposed to eat EVERYTHING.
With Zac it is often a problem to convince him to eat ANYTHING.

Often in the past I've had to train with his meals (eg/freshly cooked chicken) or he won't eat at all. Obviously I should have just given him a nice tasty needle instead :rolleyes:.

Dogster

Honored Member
WHAT???? He wouldn't eat CHICKEN???? Shivon had a HUGE problem with eating dry food. She got really thin. We changed it 10 times before she settled on one.:)

running_dog

Honored Member
He gets home cooked human grade meat (often chicken) and dry food or rice.
He also gets any left over veggies, meat, fish skin - whatever leftovers are safe.
About 1/3 of his diet may be made up of "treats" during training.

That's the theory but my folks feed him all sorts of junk (biscuits at bed time :rolleyes: ). I cut back on his dry food if they go over the top. I'm not happy with the dry food but I'm not changing it until I've decided what I want to feed instead :ROFLMAO: .

Dogster

Honored Member
So far, Shivon's on dry food, but I want to start giving her some extra veggies or meat (you know, leftovers). :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THIS IS SO AMAZING, that this needle did not wander out of his digestive tract and go poking holes in vessels or his liver or whatever, wow and WOW, are you and Zac lucky lucky lucky!!! WOW!!:eek:
This is one really crazzzzzzzzy story!! SO GLAD ZAC missed having even worse dangers from his needle eating day! my goodness...HOW IS HE NOW, is he coming along nicely, no infections?

Dogster

Honored Member
I could think of dozens of things that could have gone wrong. And for Zac to avoid those problems... THAT IS GREAT!!!! AMAZING!!!! You are ONE LUCKY DOG, Zac!!!!!:LOL: