Would You Hit Or Kick A Dog Who Wasn't Yours?

Gordykins

Experienced Member
On another forum, I saw a post where a dog was approaching somebody else's dog and growling. The poster, and many of the people replying talked about how they would hit or kick a dog who was coming after theirs in an aggressive way.

I just got a really uneasy feeling about this. I can't think of any situations where it would be necessary to hit or kick a dog. If a dog would ever come after one of my dogs, my first move would be to put myself between my dog and the oncoming dog and just yell a good, firm "NO!" Any time a dog has come up towards my dogs and me during a walk, and I've yelled no, or go home, they've just stopped, and at the very least just stood there looking confused, or turned to go home. Heck, one time, Gordy was on his leash, and another dog was having a stare down with him, and I didn't catch on in time, and Gordy went to lunge after the other dog. The other dog's owner yelled NO and held her hand out, and Gordy came back to a heel position. If she would have hit or kicked Gordy to stop him, I would have been beyond mad. Even when breaking up a fight, you don't hit a dog. I just can't think of a situation where I would feel that I needed to hit somebody's dog... yet this group of people all thought it was a totally viable option. Am I missing something? Would you ever hit somebody else's dog?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I have recently heard of situations where a child or other dog was being attacked and an adult had to step in and hit the attacking dog with a stick in order to get it off. That is pretty extreme, but I suppose if the dog was not responding to any other tactics, I would resort to hitting it with something to stop it. I wouldn't kick or hit it with my hand though. Of course, it's easy to say that when you aren't in the situation. I suppose protective instincts would kick in, and a person would do whatever was necessary to protect their child or pet.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I've seen some stuff like your saying Gordykins, people talking about beating, tasing, and mazing a dog. And this was just if the dog was approaching them. Personally I'm like you I put whichever dog I have behind me, or child and sternly tell the dog to "Go Home". Now if the dog were to charge at my dog and/or my nephew/niece heck yeah I would do whatever necessary to get the dog to back off.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
If a dog is that set on fighting though... I don't even know that hitting them would even phase them. What I've always seen recommended (and what we had actually done when two of our fosters went after each other) is to grab the attacking dog by their hind legs and pull them away from the other dog backwards. Thankfully, that's the scariest situation I've ever had to deal with, and thankfully that tactic worked. Hopefully it's the scariest situation I ever will be in.

I kind of want to get one of those loud horns too. I've heard that just that loud noise startles a dog long enough to redirect them from causing harm.

You guys are right though, if nothing else was working, and I was afraid for someone else's safety... I guess, yeah, you have to try anything.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I've been lucky and have never been involved in a dog fight so violent as to have to kick or hit a dog, or even grab them by the back legs. However - I recently heard someone telling a story about a dog fight they witnessed where two dogs were going at it so violently that even grabbing their back legs had no effect. They grabbed sticks and whatever else they could find and started hitting them in their faces, etc, until they finally split. I think if you're faced with those hideous situations, sometimes sadly you just do what you have to do. In a situation like that, I'd much rather have my dog kicked or hit with a stick than possibly killed. I pray I never encounter anything like that.

MaryK

Honored Member
Well Rakins and I were attacked by a dog who jumped his fence and first went for me then for Rakins. Rakins did a splendid impersonation of a Kung Fu Exponent, by leaping twisting and turning out of harms way. I did say go home very firmly to the dog, all to no avail, so had to resort to yelling for the owner (or some responsible person I guess) to come and rescue me. When a person did stroll out, she just stood there doing nothing!!!!!!!!! Had to yell and ask her to get her dog!

Would I have kicked the dog? No, I felt also it would have made the situation a lost worse.

However, in a case such as Jackie has mentioned, I guess if that was the only, definitely last resort, to separating the dogs, then I agree with her, rather have my dog hit than killed. Hopefully I too pray I never encounter anything like that.

freedomdreams

If a dog is that set on fighting though... I don't even know that hitting them would even phase them. What I've always seen recommended (and what we had actually done when two of our fosters went after each other) is to grab the attacking dog by their hind legs and pull them away from the other dog backwards.
Having lived with food aggressive, dog aggressive, and toy aggressive dogs- with 9 dogs, all different of course in personality and issues. I have experienced my share of fights where the dogs when a fight became an issue and multiple dogs were involved- they could/would have killed eachother if I had not intervined (sp?)

I had one fight between my two american bulldogs at one time that was started by one dog trying to take the other dogs food (we had to always feed every dog seperately otherwise a fight would start) I was home alone, and I honestly tried for a few hours to break them up, I had a break down, I was screaming and absolutely not sure what to do because no matter how many times I had managed to pull them apart, they would just go right back at eachother and I was absolutely exhausted. I had even stuck my hands into their mouths to pull them apart, and let them chew my hands up to the point I couldn't feel my hands from numbness- I honestly didn't even care because I could not and would not have them continue fighting and do nothing about it- I lived in the country as well and far from anyone. Eventually I was able to split them apart and used a door to prevent them from going to eachother again.

I could go on, but I don't- Because of my experiences, no I feel that hitting a dog when there is already a fight- will only escalade the situation, you're adding adrenaline with adrenaline or fire with fire. Not only do you increase yourself getting attacked from them accidentally directing their frustrations at you, but worsening the situation. It's so important to have a dog that is well socialized, trained, and worked with. I honestly do not promote any sort of growling, hitting or anything as it does set off anxiety attacks on my part.

There are ways to deal with a situation, If you can get help, get it. If not and if you're fast enough, get a pot of water (preferably hot)and throw it on them, this will snap them out of it and give you the time you need to grab them and seperate them- it's best to get them out of eachothers sight ASAP. If you have no help, use something to aid yourself- such as how I used a door to seperate my dogs while still pulling them apart. In these situations you need to be extremely fast and reactive.

But I don't care the situation, no one under any circumstances should hit a dog or animal, I also would be furious if someone had disciplined my dog in any harmful manner or at all without my permission. I do not, want my dog afraid of me, or feel that they ever need to be afraid- this does not promote respect this promotes fear. Your JOB as a pet OWNER is to care, and promote a SAFE environment to your pet, your friend.

running_dog

Honored Member
I guess this is going to be controversial but I don't think it is always wrong to hit an animal. For instance depending on the circumstances I sometimes pick up a stick before passing through a herd of cows grazing over a public footpath. When cows start to crowd you it is quite possible for the ones at the back to push the ones at the front over you. For me waving my arms and shouting usually works to create some space but a stick is a back up measure to force them back if necessary. I don't dislike cows, actually I really like them, I kept one as a pet for years and she followed me around like a dog and came when she was called. But that doesn't mean I'm going to let a herd of cows trample me for want of a tap on the nose.

Following the same logic, while I do agree that most situations do not require a dog to be hit or kicked, if a dog (or anything) was attacking a human in a life threatening manner (I don't mean a nip, snap or passing bite I mean life threatening) I would do whatever it took to make it stop including if necessary intentionally killing the attacker.

As for dog on dog attacks/fights, I am fortunate in having a dog that is very good at speaking dog language so generally he backs down for mega bullies, tough dogs (often reputedly savage) and Zac treat each other with studied politeness and respect. Our previous dogs had squabbles with other dogs, mostly noise and maybe a split ear here or there. No intention to do any real harm and no harm done. However unwise we generally hauled them apart by their collars and yes once or twice we have had accidental nips doing that. Zac and Gus have the occasional spat which stops pretty much as soon as we shout.

In my experience and from talking to people with dogs that have been attacked, dogs with a real intention to do harm don't fight all day they get on with the job and can do a tremendous amount of damage in seconds particularly as the sizes can be very different and they may attack as a pack. Think about how a couple of hunting dogs will kill a fox - they don't fight all day, they get on with it and kill it. Some dogs with a mixed up prey drive will kill or seriously injure a smaller dog in seconds. Aggressive dogs can do the same if they intend to.

In my area there is one particular dog whose owner told my mother, "It's a good job your dog went back to you when you called because my dog would have killed him." They were both on a public footpath at the time. Now I don't know if he was exaggerating and I really don't feel like finding out. He might not be a killer but his owner says he is so if he doesn't go home when I tell him I'm not going to gamble my dog's life by waiting until he's actually ripping through Zac's thin skin. So this particular dog, a dog which kills prey and by his owners confession would kill my dog, and who gives off aggressive body language when we meet, this dog if he committed to a rush at my dog, failing distraction and diversion I would hit him with whatever came to hand BEFORE he made contact with my dog.