Why Do Dogs Hump

kimw30

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she has been spayed but she just started humping me this week. Everytime I lay down she will hump me. I thought once a dog was spayed they will not hump. Any suggestions on why she could be humping and any suggestions on what I can do to stop her.

southerngirl

Honored Member
hmm.. Try leaving the room whenever Prissy humps you. I've heard humping can be a dominance thing, but I may be wrong.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I've heard the same thing, my roommates Jack Russell will her, but he's never tried humping me. I agree with Southerngirl try leaving the room when she does. Hopefully someone that knows more will comment.

Linda A

Experienced Member
I've heard about a million different reasons why dogs do this. I really have no idea. Spice humps Royal on a regular basis and usually ends up licking the back of his head and neck. I really looks to me like she is trying to make love to him. LOL! Dogs will be dogs and I just don't worry about it.

Honored Member
We've had Lewis for 4 weeks now, at the start of the 3rd week he humped Holly (both Holly and Lewis have been neutered for over 6 months), this seemed to set Holly off so she started to hump him all the time. This was also the week that Lewis started to play with Holly and when they did play it often ended in humping, I think it was over excitment. I just ignored it because neither of the dogs seemed to mind it that much, they would just wiggle away.
This week the humping has stopped but they still play with each other. I think it was just an excitment/overly stimulated behaviour.

I would just shove her off (gently) and ignore it for a while, it might stop on its own.

MaryK

Honored Member
Ra Kismet did try humping me once, he was very over excited, I just gentle pushed him off and ignore it all. He's been neutered but my older boy (who was a stud dog) hasn't been and has never humped at all. I don't think de-sexing makes any difference and personally I don't worry about it.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Humping is often a sign of overstimulation (too much incentives) or frustration. By doing so the dog tries to lose this frustration. Though it can get a habit over time and will often not calm them down but nake them even more excited.

I once saw a very clear example of my neighbours dog doing this:
I walked by their fenced yard with Boef (which is quite long) while doing attention exercises. Meanwhile their cocker spaniel (male) had happily come to the fence and was walking with us because he wantedto greet me and Boef. However we weren't paying attention due to the attention excercise. The cocker started running along the fence with us and got frustrated because he didn't get any attention and couldn't greet us. Than he turned around ran to my neighbours other dog (golden retriever male) and started humping him, to lose his frustration.

It very rarely has anything to do with sexuality.

What are you and/or Prissy doing when she does this?

Mutt

Experienced Member
I amhlso would stop the dog when she is doing this (whether it is on you or a dog), because dogs are almost always NOT amused when an other dogs humps them