What's The Matter With Bowser?

running_dog

Honored Member
Bowser is the JRT belonging to my sister-in-law's sister-in-law.

Apparently the vets don't know what is the matter with him. Here are a few photos.

it itches!

Actually it looked like his snout was going to explode it looked so sore.

They've had him for several years, got him when he was 3, he had some kind of skin condition then but it cleared up. About a year ago he was bitten by a rat, since then (but it might be coincidence) he's had a recurring problem as pictured. Sometimes it almost heals up, sometimes it is like this.

It doesn't seem to be contagious.

It is aggravated by him pushing his nose into rubbish hunting rats but sometimes it flares up without any ratting.

Steroids made his face swell up.

Anyhow I said I'd post his pictures on DTA and see if anyone has any ideas :-)

MaryK

Honored Member
It looks and sounds like an allergy. He looks just the same as my older dog Zeus looked. And the vets never found out, despite numerous tests, what he was allergic to. The ONLY thing which has worked with Zeus is DOGtorX Formula! He also has Cushings, but since taking DOGtor X Formula ALL his allergies have cleared and we haven't had a trace of them since. He would be like your sister-in-laws dog not just on his face/muzzle but legs, back, belly, every where! He would be fine one moment, next thing I would have to rush him to the vets. Nothing they gave him worked and the poor chap also had to have cold baths every two hours (on vet's orders).

I would definitely try the DOGtor X Formula as I can say it's worked on Zeus.

It's completely natural and so easy to give, the dogs think it's a High Value treat!

http://shop.endoftheleash.com/DOGtor-X-689076541725.htm it is available world wide.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Well right now he needs antibiotics, because whatever the inciting cause, he's now got a bacterial infection on his face. I'd worry about demodex (non-contagious) mange which can flare as you mention. They need to try another vet, or can up the ante and go to a veterinary dermatologist. He looks so uncomfortable, it's worth pursuing treatment asap.

Honored Member
A couple of years ago our cat started to get an itchy scabby face (the cat is 17 now), the vet suggested it could be from using plastic water/food bowls. That they can start to react to it.
We changed to china bowls and it cleared up. I don't know if this can happen with dogs, but since it is all on his face and could be an allergy, could it be an allergy to his food and/or water bowl?

MaryK

Honored Member
A couple of years ago our cat started to get an itchy scabby face (the cat is 17 now), the vet suggested it could be from using plastic water/food bowls. That they can start to react to it.
We changed to china bowls and it cleared up. I don't know if this can happen with dogs, but since it is all on his face and could be an allergy, could it be an allergy to his food and/or water bowl?
That's right, friend had a cat with the same problem. Not sure it's the same with dogs but I never use plastic bowls for the dogs or the cats, just to be on the safe side.

MaryK

Honored Member
Well right now he needs antibiotics, because whatever the inciting cause, he's now got a bacterial infection on his face. I'd worry about demodex (non-contagious) mange which can flare as you mention. They need to try another vet, or can up the ante and go to a veterinary dermatologist. He looks so uncomfortable, it's worth pursuing treatment asap.
Antibiotics didn't work with Zeus I'm afraid. That's why I looked for something which did work and found the DOGtorX Formula , as it works on healing the whole body, not just the symptoms. Zeus had a very bad bacterial infection too, along with a pyederma on his paw. Wish I had taken before and after photos. He's never had a flare up since, although I do give him the tablets every day.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Antibiotics didn't work with Zeus I'm afraid.
Antibiotics will work for a secondary bacterial infection, that's their job. They cannot cure the underlying cause, but once a dog has scratched and scratched and made an infection in the skin, antibiotics will work to eliminate that infection. Whatever's causing the itchiness must still be found and treated.

running_dog

Honored Member
Thank you all.

As there are a few different ideas on here that seem well worth considering (and might not spring to mind immediately to a vet) I'm going to send the link to the thread to the owners so they can have a read through and make their own decisions.

I do like the idea of DogtorX, it seems like it might be able to hit the underlying cause. I think now I read your replies that the vets did say they thought it might be allergy.

Thank you all once again.

P.S. Dogster, it was Charmedwolf's pin point accurate long range diagnosis of your friend's dog that meant I posted Bowser's pictures here :-)

Dogster

Honored Member
P.S. Dogster, it was Charmedwolf's pin point accurate long range diagnosis of your friend's dog that meant I posted Bowser's pictures here :-)
Hehe, I thought so.;) I knew someone would point that out.

The dog had to be put to sleep a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately.:cry::cry: The lupus spread and was basically eating her from the inside. She was suffering a lot. It's hard to look at a dog who is suffering. The last time I saw her she looked nothing like herself. :cry: But without charmedwolf and all the other awesome members who helped with the diagnosis, she probably wouldn't have lived as long.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Antibiotics will work for a secondary bacterial infection, that's their job. They cannot cure the underlying cause, but once a dog has scratched and scratched and made an infection in the skin, antibiotics will work to eliminate that infection. Whatever's causing the itchiness must still be found and treated.
I understand what you're saying. That is why DOGtor X Formula works, it enables the body to heal itself. It's a Wholistic Product and that's what they do, enable the natural healing of the body to work, whilst at the same time giving the dog all the correct vitamins, trace elements etc. that are not found in the dog foods.

With Zeus he had suffered massive allergenic reactions from around six months old. Spent many hours, sometimes up to over three in one session, at his vets testing him. Even went into everything people had in their homes he visited to no avail.

He was prescribed every anti-biotic his vets knew off, resulting in a temporary relief for a week may be more if we were lucky, then he'd be biting, scratching and tearing at himself. So much so we made a few after hours visits to our vets just to try to get something to help him.

None of the test revealed the cause and for almost nine years he suffered. We moved interstate and new vets, same rigmarole. On one visit, when he also had other symptoms, which proved to be Cushings, his leg was so bad his vet also tested for Cancer.

I was desperate and then found that DOGtor X Formular was available here. Bought it the next day, Saturday, gave him one table at around 12.30 p.m. and was delighted to see an almost immediate response, He stopped itching and biting. By the next day his skin was much calmer and it healed so fast even I, who knew from past experience how good this product is, was very happy to be totally stunned.

His vet could only shake his head and say "What ever you're doing don't stop as it's working".

Also, despite some improvement on the medication for Cushings, he dropped back very badly, so for a while I doubled his dosage of DOGtor X Formula and, to my surprise and again his vets, Zeus was virtually back to normal levels and all the symptoms, like his back legs giving out so much he couldn't walk and just 'bumped' along on his front ones, vanished.

Now I have a healthy, happy boy, with a coat that's very soft for a Heeler. People think he's only 4/5 years old, not almost 12. And they look absolutely dumb struck when I say he has Cushing, they look at his back, straight as it should be not sway backed and his energy levels and well, almost don't believe me.

All I can say is that, from my experience, DOGtor X Formula worked where all else failed. And I swear by it, I have the proof, a happy, healthy dog who should by now, be living a very sedate life, just easy simple slow walks and not much else, if he'd managed to survive this long, Cushings considerably shortens a dog's life expectancy.

He's been on the Formula for nigh on three years now and never once had even the suggestion of an allergenic flare up, despite the fact that we live in a very dusty area, with a major rodent problem. Even though neither dogs, nor the cats, have fleas (course I use flea protection) bites from them can still occur as they would be in the ground here.