What Can I Do Differently Next Time?

running_dog

Honored Member
Another thought, Gus used to react whenever I shortened the leash as we approached other dogs but I made a bit of a game of shortening the leash at other times and making fun things happen and I don't think that is one of his triggers any more.

Maybe if you build positive associations with a tight leash Brody will be less likely to worry about your stress? I'm not convinced that dogs feel vibrations through the lead like that any way. Far more likely they think "Short lead, something's coming to react to, ah yes there it is, Grrrrrrrrr"

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Another thought, Gus used to react whenever I shortened the leash as we approached other dogs but I made a bit of a game of shortening the leash at other times and making fun things happen and I don't think that is one of his triggers any more.

Maybe if you build positive associations with a tight leash Brody will be less likely to worry about your stress? I'm not convinced that dogs feel vibrations through the lead like that any way. Far more likely they think "Short lead, something's coming to react to, ah yes there it is, Grrrrrrrrr"
I agree, it's not the vibrations. I do shorten the leash at other times, like when crossing busy intersections, or when passing a gutter drain in the rain (that really freaks him out!). I also will randomly stop and ask for a "sit" when there is no one approaching. But in the house, he never has to wear a leash unless he is going out to the yard, so I'm sure he senses something is up with that.