Vaults, Jumping Over, And Stalls

2SpoiledAussies

I would like to start teaching Toby Vaults, Stalls, and Jumping Over parts of my body, but how do you differentiate between the three on like your back? I've been thinking about this for a while, and decided you guys would know more then me!

southerngirl

Honored Member
For Missy if I' m having her do a back vault I always have a frisbee, if I don' t have the frisbee she knows we' 're doing a back stall. For jumping over my back I get on my knees so there is no confusing it with the stall and vault. When I use my leg for Missy to jump over I' m standing up and my leg is fully extended while vaulting off my leg I' m kneeling.
I hope this helps you.

fickla

Experienced Member
Ron Watson from Pawsitive Vybe has some fabulous videos on his website. He is a disc dog trainer and an amazing instructor. Here is a link to his "vaults and overs" section:
http://pvybe.com/category/disc-dog-foundation-course/week-5-vaults-and-overs/

Basically he starts by teaching the dogs the difference on an exercise ball. Give the cue BEFORE the dog needs to leave the ground and use the placement of the reward to support it. Dogs can learn the verbal cues pretty easily. Plus when it's on you your body position and hands usually supports your verbal.

2SpoiledAussies

So I've been working on this, and Toby is doing amazingly! Firsts off, I bought a Gold's weighted Exercise ball so it didn't move as much ($18 instead of $9, plus I'll be using it for exercise) and it was totally worth it! I wrap 2 blankets around the base and put my knees on it (He did this in some of the videos). It works perfectly fine, and you don't have to go find some kind of base.

I had a ton of trouble the first night getting him to jump on it, but he started to get what I wanted. I ended that session and started again the next day. This day we had trouble getting him to stay on it. I wasn't going to start doing Top and Rebound until I had Stall down. He didn't understand what I wanted, and would jump on and immediately off. I tried to catch him, but that just made him jump off he far end. I wanted to end before I got frustrated, so I ended this session.

Then one of my friends was over so we tried putting her on the other side. He loved this (2 sources of treats!) and we had much more success. This way he jumped in the middle, and one of us would be able to catch him, then while one of us was holding him, the other would give him treats while on the ball. We started using less and less of a hold. Today she came over again, and we got to where neither of us had to hold on to him. Then she gradually backed away. Then we started working on our commands. He is doing Stalls and Tops so well now. I don't think he has differentiated between them quite yet, but he is doing very well! We're having trouble with Rebound, but this isn't a big priority to me. I'll be working on this by itself from now on, because I think he was getting confused.

But thank you so much for the link! It has been awesome!

fickla

Experienced Member
I personally didn't teach rebound with the ballwork, although I know many people who have. Rather I used the couch, and then a chair, to get Vito to jump 4 paws on me and then bounce off for a cookie. Gradually I stood up. It went quickly since we already had a solid dog catch.