Trying To Figure Out Hold

2SpoiledAussies

I have 2 Mini Aussies, and neither of them will hold anything. I can get them to take things, but they instantly drop it. I'm trying with Kikopup's new video of retrieveing unusual objects, but it isn't helping to much. My dogs won't touch a toy when treats are out, so this might be a problem too. I've tried socks, toys, and baskets. Any Ideas?

madeleine

Experienced Member
I tought Dazzle the hold it like this. Though you already know how to do this..
I was holding a toy in front off her. When she clossed her mouth on the object I clicked. Then I clicked when she got the toy in her mouth and put a bit more pressure on it (i could feel that in my hands, still have the toy..)
Then I clicked when she picked up the toy even for a split moment from my hands..
Then click for 2 seconds and so on.
If there is non interest in toys at all you can make the first step even smaller by clicking for looking at the toy, gooing to the toy, etc.. Or put some peanutt butter on it ^^
Or pick a 'less' value treat?

Let us know how it went, and good luck!

Leaf Hunter

I just tried doing this with my pup for the first time. I spent about 3-5 minutes in the kitchen and was able to get her to hold it for about 10-15 seconds. I armed my self with a small handful of kibble and went out looking for a something made out of wood [in Art of Trick Dogging, Emily (Kikopup) uses raw hide sticks before switching to paint brushes].

I was looking for a pencil, but I couldn't find one, so I grabbed a small wooden stick from my backyard. She took the stick right away, but wanted to chew on the stick, and refused to eat the kibble.

So I ditched the stick, then went into a drawer and got a plastic marker. Then I upped the reward by busting out a slice of ham.

Next I put her in the sit position then place the plastic marker by her mouth. At first my timing was off and I was clicking when she took it. I got better success when I clicked her just reaching for it. Then I started giving it to her and walking a few steps back and clicking while she was walking and holding. After a few rounds I started running away and having her run in the hallway. She was good while holding and walking from one end of the house to the other and back.

I then wanted to see if she'd hold it in a sit position. When I did that, she acted like it was a brand new game. So I started off from the first step, of clicking when she reached. Slowly worked up to 10-15 seconds. I ran out of ham so I couldn't keep going, but she was still wanting to work.

Leaf Hunter

Try different textures with your dogs to see if that helps. Try placing the treats up high and not on you, but still within easy reach. I kept my treats on the counter top. Double check when your actually clicking and try earlier or later, depending on how your dogs react. Have different treats ready, in case one treat gets them to excited or one doesn't grab their attention enough. And see if walking helps or get her to grab the object and immediately have her touch your hand with her nose.