Trouble Walking Together

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Remi has gotten better with greet and passing dogs on the street, his only problem is with dogs that bark behind a fence, or if they stop walking. Since he's been getting better I've started walking with my roommate, we try to take both our dogs. Chance and Remi walk fine together until they see another dog. Chance will start to whine and then Remi will freak out. Chance is normally okay with them as long as they keep their distance, but once we walk them together they both become very reactive. If Chance doesn't start it than Remi does.

I would love for them to be able to walk together, since we do a lot of hiking, and Chance loves it. My roommate won't walk him by herself, the only time I can get her to walk is at the same time I exercise Remi. I don't think its fair to leave one home.

My question is, is there a way to train them to walk peacefully together? And set each other off when they see another dog?

madeleine

Experienced Member
Kikopup vids are great!
Maybe you van also read the BAT book? Behaviour Adjusment Treatment?
I've just begon reading that and I find it good. Don't know if you allready know it though.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Kikopup vids are great!
Maybe you van also read the BAT book? Behaviour Adjusment Treatment?
I've just begon reading that and I find it good. Don't know if you allready know it though.
I've heard about, but theres mixed reviews so I wasn't sure if it was any good. But I will get it if you think it will help.

madeleine

Experienced Member
I don't want to make you buy something.
If you doubt there is always the option of asking if you can read the book from someone else?
Then if you like it you can still buy the book, so you can look up the information when you need it.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I was considering it before, just wasn't sure. It seems like it would work with Chance. I also like the idea of being able to reference back to the book if I hit a trouble spot with training. I have to wait anyways to buy it so I still have time to think it over, but I'm leaning towards getting it right now.:)

madeleine

Experienced Member
Hehe allright then! Well I find it a good book. Would also love to get control unleased, don't know wether that also be an iption for you. Think the B.AT. book would be a fine first step.

madeleine

Experienced Member
Then I also reckon working on Change's behaviour (perhaps even before walking together). Probably that whining and feeling upset is working on Rem in that order that she jumps in aswell. And this behaviour from Remi is making it harder for Change also..
When this does go good, then you can try to walk together, but i would build that up also. First walking behind each other for like 10 meters, 8 meters, other dog in front, or across the street, then across a smaller street etc??

Don't know how much you tried already? Good luck !!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I responded yesterday and somehow managed to hit one key, delete the entire post and blow myself right out of the whole thread - and didn't have time to retype before work. :confused: Sounds like you're trying to walk two somewhat reactive dogs together. They're feeding off each other - if one doesn't react, the other one will, then poof!, you've got two dogs going at it. Not good. Honestly, they need to be walked alone and worked with. Even over-anxiousness/excitement to get to another dog to say hi can escalate to the point of extreme if not worked with (truly - I'm working with one now).

Sorry that your roommate doesn't like to walk her dog alone but it's not your responsibility - you take care of Remi. Walk him alone and work really hard with him at being calm when he sees other dogs. Use the techniques shown in lots of other threads we've discussed repeatedly. Take loads and loads of high value treats, and feedfeedfeedfeed as soon as you see something that might (or you know will) make him anxious, and continue til that thing is past. If you have time, do the same for your roommate's dog - or encourage her to do so. Or walk them together - but you each need to focus on your own dog, you (one person) can't work with two dogs at the same time. Example: I walked my two GS separately for years due to Makena's reactivity. If she couldn't get at the dog she was reacting/barking at (and she never did!!), she'd redirect onto poor Alfie and take him down right on the sidewalk in frustration. It took a few years of daily walks and lots of hard work to turn that behavior around (she was a very hard and extreme case, nothing like yours), but I walk them together now and she's relaxed on walks.

Handle one dog at a time if you're alone, and work on that one dog being relaxed and calm on a walk. You'll get much further, and you owe it to the dogs. If you're together, you each concentrate on your own dog, sometimes feedfeedfeedfeed(ing) at the same time, but don't let the reactivity start.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Jackienmutts- I practice the techniques discussed with Remi every walk we take. He is so much better on walks its quite amazing. We are working on his reactivity to dogs behind fences or when a dog stops walking. I'm able to walk him passed dogs fine now, and I can walk across the street for dogs behind fences. So we are getting a lot father than we were before. It's thanks to a lot of you're advice.

I will start by practicing the techniques I've done with Remi, and practice with Chance and see how it goes. I know he tends to be fine without Remi around. But I'll try it today and see how it goes.