Training With A Long Line

Leaf Hunter

I wanted to get some feedback on using long lines (e.g. safety lines, long-leash, etc).

Do you feel these are safe to use in places like the dog park with other dogs present?

What lengths do you feel work best? 15ft, 20ft, 30ft, 50ft, etc.

Have you noticed any benefits between using wide leads vs thin or rounded rope leads? Is one less prone to getting tangled?

Lastly, can you think of any other tips or suggestions when using long-lines?

Thanks!!!

Dlilly

Honored Member
I would never use a long leash or flexi lead around other dogs, especially off leash.

The idea of bringing a dog to a dog park is so he can run around with other dogs off leash…. I can see having a dog in a dog park on a leash being pretty hectic! Your dog might try playing with another dog, the leash will get tangled on you or a dog, overall I think of it as a bad idea.

I use a long leash with Rory when I work on recall. I tie it to a tree and connect the leash to his harness. I think the thickness of the leash would be your preference. I like thicker leashes since I have a better grip holding it. I think it depends on what you want.

Leaf Hunter

My fears with using a long long at a dog park is that they could either get tangled or that the dragging line could appear as a toy or pray and entice other dogs to chase it (and in turn chase my dog). I think those are reasonable concerns, but sometimes I question if I'm being to cautious.

When you used a long line for recall training, what length of line did you end up going with?

Dogster

Honored Member
I'm with Dlilly. I would never, ever bring a longline to the dog park; it's too dangerous...

I got a longline for Shivon to practice recall training, and to tie her up when we were outside at the cottage (so I wouldn't have to hold her leash all the time.) I used a 20ft. leash, I think. :)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Leaf hunter

Do you mean offleash dog parks i.e. not fenced? Some people do work with dogs on long lines in these types of parks. Thin, rounded cord (like Flexi Leash lines) are the worst in terms of the damage they can cause if they wrap around dog or human skin. Hunting dogs are often trained on a thick cord which repels burrs. These are usually quite strong, and can also be used for tracking. They often don't have a handle so they have nothing to get caught on. Some of the leashes actually float.

When doing recall training with my dog, who's only about 14 kg (30lbs), I use a light, flat (1/2") leash. I think 30 ft is probably good for teaching a recall -- I assume that's why you're using it.

I wanted to get some feedback on using long lines (e.g. safety lines, long-leash, etc).

Leaf Hunter

Yes it's for recall work. I was leaning towards the 50ft (and possibly longer), but I wasn't sure if that length would be to difficult to work with. The area I have in mind isn't fenced in and there are no trees.

I was thinking I'd either clip it to my belt or just let it drag on the floor and step on it when I needed to stop her. I was going to use it with a car harness since it has a good padded chest pad and has an extra strong clip on the back.

I've done lots of recall training in the house and in the backyard. We play hide and seek all the time. I even get my girl friend involved and we each take turns hiding and calling the pup. I also did some recall training at Petco, inside the store, with the help of one of their trainers. Even when the trainer put raw hide treats on the floor and had other people calling her, she came to me without hesitation.

More recently I visited Arizona and stopped by a random park I heard about on Yelp. It was huge (it was fenced but because it was so huge you couldn't even tell) and my pup loved it and did great. I didn't use a leash or treats. Only had a tug toy and that was enough.

So I sort of trust my dog to come when called, but I also know she has limits. Like if she seen a cat or bunny, she's take off after it. I want to test her at this park because it definitely has more distractions (unleash dogs playing fetch, joggers, bunnies, etc).

Anyway, thanks everyone for your feedback so far. I feel like my initial fears were warranted and I get the feeling that most people use 30-50ft without any problems.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi Leaf Hunter,

I use a 50' lead when teaching recall to my dog and to play fetch at the park. That's her in my profile pic. The park where I work with her isn't fenced either. She's just over 2 years old and I still don't let the long line drag - she chases cars, but I'm trying to work her out of that habit.

If she doesn't come when I call her, I give her a 'bump, bump, bump' on her collar, not to hurt her, but just to say, "Hey. I called you!" It's called the 'random recall' also known as 'escape avoidance training'. :) That way, she'll learn that she must come when called every time even when distracted! The point of this is that the dog needs to beat the 'bump' consistently. Once she does that, she's home free to be off leash - and I can't wait for that to happen!! :) Always reward the dog with it's favorite treats, toys and praise!

Good luck with your puppy's recall training!

Anneke

Honored Member
I use the kind that is used for horses. Google gives me as translation:lunging, but I don't think that is the term. It's used when you do circle training with a horse.
It is a wide soft material, that doesn't cause rope burn;) and you have a good grip.
I let the lead drag behind my dog and let her run free(sort of) But the length of the lead enabled me to step on it, in case of emergency.
I haven't seen any other dog chasing the dragging lead, but ofcourse there are some nutcases out there;) My dog never got into a fight because she was on this lead. She can be reactive when she is on her normal lead or on the flexi. But never when she is on the long lead. But again, that is my experience...
Yes it does sometimes get tangled up in another dog, when they play, but usually they are able to untangle themselves.
I find it a handy tool for recall training in area's where there are no fences.
Just be prepared for dirty hands:D because it does drag through anything:eek:

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I use the kind that is used for horses. Google gives me as translation:lunging, but I don't think that is the term. It's used when you do circle training with a horse.
It is a wide soft material, that doesn't cause rope burn;) and you have a good grip.
It's called a longe line. I ride horseback, so that's how I know. :)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I also use ~30" for recall training. I wouldn't advise using it in a dogpark with other dogs around. Leashed dogs can cause things to go wrong. When dogs are in leash-free zones, they need to be just that - leash free. Absolutely work on things like recall and reward when they come to you, and then immed let them again go free - but leashing dogs around other (potentially) aroused dogs can bring out the worst.

You asked what weight we used? I prefer a very light line (altho strong). The dog almost forgets they're physically connected in any way. You don't want them responding to you because they know they have to anyway (cuz of that darn long line) - you much prefer they respond to your "come" command because they want to, then reward the heck out of them when they do, and let them go free. Or you can just walk around, wander, etc, and see if they wander with you, in an emotionally 'connected' kind of way (again, not because they feel they have to, but because they want to - using a very light line allows that, they don't feel weighted down by a heavy leash).

If you want to work with your pup on a long line in a fenced dog park, I'd recommend going when no one else is there, or just work in an unfenced public park or field - there are still plenty of distractions for your dog (just cuz you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there), and you'll get in lots of good work without worrying about other dogs, leashes, etc.

CarmenR

I'm looking to get a long line for my dog Luna to work on, I guess what is being called a 'distracted' recall. Her stay - come recall is fantastic (sometimes so she runs so fast back to me when she tries to stop she slams into my legs :eek:). But the distracted one is not so good I feel guilty like I have slacked off on this part of training :(.

Anyway..basically I like the idea of a light line so it doesn't feel like they are wearing one but I previously used a thin rope and it got so tangled I gave up using it (although it was also ridiculously long) . So has anyone used a thin long line without much trouble? And how thick and long was it?

If she doesn't come when I call her, I give her a 'bump, bump, bump' on her collar, not to hurt her, but just to say, "Hey. I called you!" It's called the 'random recall' also known as 'escape avoidance training'
This is why I need a long line, to tug when I am being completely ignored (apparently I'll never be more exciting than rabbit:poop: :ROFLMAO:

CarmenR

Sorry for basically repeating the original post question, I got sidetracked reading through all the messages.