The Beginning of My Service Task Obsession

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yesterday, while boredly searching YouTube for service dog videos, I ran across a member with tons of training videos pertaining to assistance tricks. (I'll add a link later, when I find it again.) I've watched them before, but never pursued them for lack of time. This time I decided to give it a go. The simplest one(I thought) was pulling socks off, so I started there. Mud really surprised me, because not only did she very quickly learn to be careful of my toes, but she picked up on pulling the socks off(and giving them back) in a matter of maybe 5 tries! I was so proud and excited. I'll have to video it and get it up here. She did so good. She already knew how to bring me my keys, and a kleenex, and various other objects, but I haven't tried anything further than that until now.

Which led me to another discovery...lol...one reason why retrieving breeds are great service dogs...

They are soft-mouthed.

Border Collies are certainly not bred for retrieving(although they are known for being enthusiastic tennis ball retrievers...not quite the same thing). Fortunately, I have already done lots of work on teaching Mud to be soft-mouthed. I'm very glad I did the sock trick after the Easter Egg trick, and various other tricks that required teaching her to be soft-mouthed. Otherwise I'd have tender toes--and a dog that would probably be less willing to take my socks off, lol!

So...now, I'm hooked and trying to decide what I want to do next. :doglaugh:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
This person has a lot of great videos; that's the one I watch mostly. But there are many users with service videos on YouTube. :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
KUDOS on the service work, Tx!! Awesome!!

I have been gone a while, so are you interested in training service dogs now? I bet youi'd ROCK at that, Tx!

Or are you just looking for more and more ways to keep your dogs busy?

Can't wait to watch the vids, It is Vancouver Island assistance dogs?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
YES, I'm hooked on service training now.
I've decided to pursue a career in assistance/service dog training (as well as animal behavior). I've always had an interest in service dog training, I've just never worked on it or looked into it much--until now.
Can't get my video to work! I did record some of Mud's new service tricks, but for some reason I can't get the vid to work. o-0 So I'm trying to figure that out.
Adding to her service trick list:
Anytime we are walking along and I drop her leash, she will automatically pick it up(handle end) and give it to me. She got it easily, since we've already worked on picking up anything I drop, it was just a little different since this time the object was attached to her. The first session I rewarded for just picking it up when I dropped it. The second session I expected a little more because she I knew she got the idea. I worked on specifically getting her to grab the loop end only. (Reasoning: an actual service dog may be doing this for someone with limited motor skills or who knows what other physical disabilities, so gripping the leash and then getting to the loop in might be hard or even impossible.)
I then started walking through the house and randomly dropping it. Once in a while I'm still having to tell her to get it, but most of the time she will automatically pick it up and give it to me.

What next??? Lol.

And yes, the vids are Vancouver Island Assistance Dogs.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:msnohyes: WOW!! Oh Tx, how perfect!! WHAT a wonderful calling!! WHAT a great use of your special gifts!!! This will be immensely satisfying work i'd bet!!
NICE leash work, Tx! amazing!!!

I've lost so much ground with Buddy's training, we've backslid....that's why i'm baaackk! ha ha!:msngiggle: