Teaching my puppy some tricks

sonicsr20

So I have been teaching my puppy some tricks. She is about 5 months old. Ill teach her something, she picks it up pretty quickly, but when i teach her a new trick a few days later, she always seems to foget the last trick she was taught. What can i do to help prevent this? Oh and will her getting fixed change her attention span or anything?

szecsuani

Experienced Member
She still is a little puppy, so don't expect too much from her, she is trying her best.

Always repeat the tricks. When you are teaching a new trick, try not only to concentrate on the new one. Ask for the "old" tricks too.
This is the only thing I can think of, hope it helps... :)

sonicsr20

Well i dont think i expect too much. she is my first puppy, and im already amazed at what she knows how to do. She does forget them from time to time, but i am working over and over to help her remember. BUt as far as that she is an absolute joy to have around. Just trying to figure out the next trick to teach her now.

gardengirl

In the beginning, when I'm teaching a new trick, I don't practice any old ones. Later in the day I will have a practice session for the past tricks. When you're pretty sure that your pup has learned the new one, then practice it with the others.

It's very common for dogs to run through their whole set of tricks just trying to get their reward. I see it as amusing and I don't let it bother me. I want my dogs to love tricks. Just make it clear that you want only a particular trick and then reward.

Always practice your tricks or commands in different locations so that your dog is willing to do them anywhere. It sounds like you are doing a great job with your pup!