Suggestions For A Dog Toy.

Snuggles

Hi,
My dachshund, Snuggles is very destructive. He tears up all his toys. We have only found 2 dog toys that have lasted him a while. I'm not sure whether to buy a Kong toy or not because they cost a lot. i don't want to buy an expensive toy and him tear it up in a few days or even hours or minutes. We bought a tennis ball a few days ago and gave it to him and tore it up in like 7 minutes!! So if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. If your dog is destructive like this and you bought a Kong toy and it has lasted a while let me know. Thanks

Anneke

Honored Member
You could try the Jolly ball, they are very tough.
The black Kong is tough too, but I know a few dogs, that distroyed them. Don't buy the pluche Kong toys or the kong braids. They look nice, but even my dogs can distroy them;)

Snuggles

Ok I might try the jolly ball or Kong I am not sure. i was wanting something a little less expensive though because I didn't want to get it and then him tear it up in a few minutes, hours, or days. thanks for the suggestion.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
They have stuffing free toys, as well. Not sure if that would help.

My dog only "kills" his toys on days he is bored, for me, for *my* dog, finding a dead toy, is a signal we are not keeping up with his energy requirements. but, that's just my dog. My dog never ever 'kills' a toy on a day he's been kept busy. never.

If your dog likes tuggie toys/rope type toys, there are some great links, from Tif, and from site admin, on how to make your very own rope toys. I'll find them and post it here, if you want me to.

I go to goodwill, and yardsales, garage sales, etc,
and get bags of human children toys for 10cents to 75 cents each. I save up this bag of toys, and give him one on boring days/rainy days.
then, if my dog does tear it up, well, no financial harm done. (I also rotate his toys, only 1/3 are available at any time.)

some of the toys i buy there, are wayyyyyyy outside the box of traditional dog toys,:ROFLMAO: yet, my dog adored some of them. One of Buddy's alltime favorites was a rubbery covered, motorized toy school bus which drove itself around, and made noises wherever he bit it.

Lots of ppl do swear by those kongs, as well as the "Good Cuz" and "Bad Cuz" toys. The Cuz toys bounce in funny ways, way harder for dog to chase it.
Lots of toys i see which state "for tough chewers" might help toys last longer for your dog?

hope anything there helps.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
orka is a good make, zara is very destructive but that seems lasting she has the tire and this retriever one that they seem to not do anymore and so does the black kong.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
oh and that fleece tug toy i made is holding up nicely with Bella and as you saw by the video of her jumping over my arm she loves it and the blanket only cost £1 so cheap to make aswell:)

Snuggles

They have stuffing free toys, as well. Not sure if that would help.

My dog only "kills" his toys on days he is bored, for me, for *my* dog, finding a dead toy, is a signal we are not keeping up with his energy requirements. but, that's just my dog. My dog never ever 'kills' a toy on a day he's been kept busy. never.

If your dog likes tuggie toys/rope type toys, there are some great links, from Tif, and from site admin, on how to make your very own rope toys. I'll find them and post it here, if you want me to.

I go to goodwill, and yardsales, garage sales, etc,
and get bags of human children toys for 10cents to 75 cents each. I save up this bag of toys, and give him one on boring days/rainy days.
then, if my dog does tear it up, well, no financial harm done. (I also rotate his toys, only 1/3 are available at any time.)

some of the toys i buy there, are wayyyyyyy outside the box of traditional dog toys,:ROFLMAO: yet, my dog adored some of them. One of Buddy's alltime favorites was a rubbery covered, motorized toy school bus which drove itself around, and made noises wherever he bit it.

Lots of ppl do swear by those kongs, as well as the "Good Cuz" and "Bad Cuz" toys. The Cuz toys bounce in funny ways, way harder for dog to chase it.
Lots of toys i see which state "for tough chewers" might help toys last longer for your dog?

hope anything there helps.
I go to garage sales too. I might find something there. I might make him a rope toy from fabric and me and him play with it.

Thanks

Snuggles

orka is a good make, zara is very destructive but that seems lasting she has the tire and this retriever one that they seem to not do anymore and so does the black kong.
I will probably try the black kong. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Snuggles

oh and that fleece tug toy i made is holding up nicely with Bella and as you saw by the video of her jumping over my arm she loves it and the blanket only cost £1 so cheap to make aswell:)
Yeah i saw her playing roughly with it. I might try that. I want him to have more than 2 toys which is all we have found so far that has lasted.

Honored Member
Holly has killed stuffing-less toys.
She ripped a piece off a red kong so we had to get her a larger black one (it's still good).

Also, we got her a deer antler, they are expensive but she has only put a few marks on it so far and it's safe for her to eat (she likes chewing plastic toys and eating all the little bits that come off) and they are actually supposed to chew it,

The person at the petshop suggested getting a small tire (like a car tire but for some smaller vehicle), they should be very tough.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
There is a new toy range on the market that is GUARANTEED FOR THE LIFE OF YOUR DOG!

I am not affiliated with them but basically if you ever see the red safety zone exposed - send it back and they will replace it! Simple as that - clients with Pitbulls, Shepherds, Labs, Min Pins, Foxies - all love them...

They are called Goughnuts - http://www.goughnuts.com/
Facebook (the comments are great) http://www.facebook.com/pages/GoughNuts/112995274433

Snuggles

There is a new toy range on the market that is GUARANTEED FOR THE LIFE OF YOUR DOG!

I am not affiliated with them but basically if you ever see the red safety zone exposed - send it back and they will replace it! Simple as that - clients with Pitbulls, Shepherds, Labs, Min Pins, Foxies - all love them...

They are called Goughnuts - http://www.goughnuts.com/
Facebook (the comments are great) http://www.facebook.com/pages/GoughNuts/112995274433

Ok I might try it too. Thanks :)