Slowly Learning To Fetch!

mewzard

Experienced Member
Yup at the grand old age of 11months Oka has learnt to fetch for more than 2 throws!! She is not a retriever LOL :ROFLMAO:. I have found that she is much more keen on playing fetch with a tug toy, which is fine with me. Her /out/ s here are not great, i had been using a treat to get the /out/s but couldn't do that with a camera in one hand. I video'd this a week ago, she is much quicker to let the item go now, just need to get her to only take it when i say /take/. Anyways....

sara

Staff member
That's awesome! to me it looks like the game of tug is her reward for bringing back the toy and that's why she's happier to bring back the rope toy as opposed to a ball, where no game of tug is present. You could work towards having a tug toy with you, when she brings back something else, get out the tug as the reward, you may end up with a retreiver after all!!!

She's gorgeous!

Lexy88

Awwh yay Oka! She is so pretty.
Blade can go get toys... but then he wants someone to chase him to get it back! His favourite game is being chased which Im not too keen on haha. We are working on bringing the toy back which he can do uhhh maybe 60% of the time, working towards presenting it in a sit in front of me - ever hopeful!:rolleyes:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Wow, i am so impressed! Gorgeous dog, btw. I just learned, from watching your video, Mewzard, that i CAN both play tug AND get the dog the let go.
I'd never played tug if i wanted Buddy to 'drop' the item, thinking that it would confuse Buddy. I did not want him to confuse his tug games, with times i want him to 'drop' something.

How did i not know this could be done? both at once, i mean.

mewzard

Experienced Member
Sara - i thought about that too... I tried it out but she drops the ball about 2meters from my feet, LOL, then comes for her tug reward! Maybe one day in the future.:)

Thanks Dodge!

Lexy - Oka loves chase games too! I tend to play chase with the toys she's not keen on playing fetch with! She holds it in her mouth and I crouch down and say "give me that!" then step/stalk towards her slowly and say "i'm gonna get it!" then run at her....it's a strange little game that has evolved but relly good fun. We only last about 5 mintues before we are both really tired!! I'd love for oka to braing the toy into a sit but i think it's too much work for her. I have really had to work to make toys fun and the more 'rules' we put with them the less she is interested.

Tigerlily - i didn't really think about it in that way but, yes, i guess it can! Tug manners are important especially with 2 kids in the house. I used /out/ as sometimes i've had enough of tug but don't want to leave the toy with her. I think you have to make a clear difference between the two cues. I only use /out/ with the tug toys or more specifically if i have hold of something thats in her mouth. If she has an item and i am not touching it, i would use /drop/.

Lexy88

Lol I occasionally chase Blade but I laugh too much to keep it up. My partner and his friends LOVE playing chase with Blade. You can see him laughing his head off as he darts and dodges about and completely eludes them! No one can ever corner or catch him and he loves it. He loves being chased by the cows as well. Good exercise for him! Sometimes I just pretend to stalk him so he pounces about and runs off and exercises himself for a few minutes.