Scarlett

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!! What a cute picture!!!!:love: What are you training your dog??? What's your dog's name???? If you love training dogs then you've come to the right place!!!!:D

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Aww, Scarlett is adorable! I always say ... it's a good thing puppies are cute, huh? :LOL: They can be a handful - but they grow up so fast, enjoy her puppyhood while you can. Goldens are definitely people-pleasers, but keep in mind, puppies are trying to find their way in the world, trying to learn what it is we want and expect of them, trying to learn to read our body language, learn about lots of new sights, sounds, smells, textures, etc - basically learn to live in the world we humans thrust upon them. She's also developing her own mind, so being "defiant", well, kinda, but once you learn to work with it (instead of against it), it gets easier. Feel free to ask any questions or discuss any issues you may be having - most of us have 'been there, done that' and may be able to lend some suggestions, and at least some good moral support. :)

Chet & Chris

chris, it might be best to start your very own thread, so we can help figure out why your dog is shutting down, and then THIS thread can be about Golden101's puppy problem.

first off, i'd get him to the vet. If *my* dog suddenly became listless, i'd be alarmed. (unless, he was hot, tired, or some known reason).
If your dog was scolded or hit or otherwise punished, had his toenails cut last night:rolleyes: and is now afraid you are going to do that again, etc,
did something weird happen to dog lately? that is a factor too. Has he eaten anything weird, or been given some medication ??

If you do post a new thread about your dog, Chris, link it here, and we can just go over to that thread to talk about what is wrong with your dog....just seems easier, imo.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"She is has a mind of her own and is sometimes defiant even though i heard goldens are people pleasers."//

How old is this baby dog?
How long have you had this baby dog?
SHE SURE IS TOO CUTE!!

My dog is full grown adult dog.
He does not always do the trick i ask.
sometimes, (most often) it is cuz i have not yet fully trained Buddy to be able to do that trick,even amidst distractions. He might be able to do that trick just fine,
when it is only he and i, in a quiet room.:D
but, doing the trick at a birthday party, is another matter.
doing the trick well, when he is in the middle of playing chase this kid, is another matter.

It takes a dog a little while to truly KNOW a trick. Just cuz dog did trick on Tuesday and Wednesday, might not mean the dog reeeeeally knows the trick super well. It takes time, really, to get that trick in their mind solid like a rock.

If i haven't done a certain trick with Buddy lately, he's likely to be rusty on it.:rolleyes:
If i haven't done much training with Buddy for a few days, he is harder to get to pay attention.:LOL:
If he is being hyper and spazzy and needs to go run around, i know that is not the best time to try to get Buddy to do anything very tedious.

My particular dog also dislikes repetition. My dog will do a trick great, but, if i ask him same ol trick,
over and over too many times in a row,:cautious: he might zone out on me. He gets bored easy.

ALL DOGS ARE UNIQUE!!!! As you get to really know your dog, you will know which times, which things, make it harder for your dog to do certain things. Your list of things/times that make it hard for your dog to pay attention, or to do a trick well,
might be completely different than my list is.;)

sometimes, my dog is just toooo distracted, by all the world around him, to do a trick at that moment.
for my dog, It's not he is "defiant".
It is he is a dog.:ROFLMAO:

well, wait, i can observe, if i have been giving my dog what HE wants, (running, outdoor free time, exercise, playtimes, stuff to do so he is content and not hyped up with unspent energy)
THEN he IS more likely to give me what i want....seems like.

dogs are like that. Their lil doggie brains are not just like OUR brains. A breeze going by can have brain-exploding scents on it, that WE are oblivious to. Dogs hear things we do not even hear at all, and things important to a dog (like a movement in that bush over there!) are not even slightly noticed by US.

Getting ANY dog, even an ADULT dog, to perform tricks perfectly, every single time,
is a pretty tall order that few dogs can meet.

Puppies have even shorter attention spans than adult dogs, usually. How long are you asking your dog to pay attention?
How long are you lessons??? How often does your puppy get a lesson?
Maybe, til you and your dog get tricks-training nailed down, maybe for this dog at this time, maybe only one or two tricks at a time is good way to get started......????

AT ANY RATE, DO HANG IN THERE, I THINK YOUR DOG IS LUCKY TO HAVE A HUMAN WHO WILL TRAIN HIM!!!:D Teaching dogs tricks
get easier
and easier
and boy, have you found the right spot to get even better at learning how to do train dogs!!!
WELCOME !!
AND POST SOME MORE PHOTOS OF THAT CUTE BABY DOG!!??