Sasha Is Losing Her Fur!

alcastive

Hello everyone

My dog is losing her fur for the past month, what could be the problem ? i comb her fur everyday and take good care of her health give her a bath every 2 weeks since she lives at home and recently sleeping in my bed which i hated at first lol. So what could be the problem my clothes, bed and couch are full of furs now :S

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Alacastive!

What do you mean by fur? Is your dog simply shedding? If so, that's absolutely normal. Hair always falls off my husky no matter what season it is. I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to give you dog a bath so often, I think maximum once a month but I'm not an expert on this subject. I believe it is because of the oil in the skin... I'm sure someone else may be of more assistance.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
As Jean said, shedding is normal. If you think she is shedding an abnormal amount, it could be a variety of things, but the most common could be allergies. This could be either to something in her environment, or it could be a food allergy. Common food allergies are wheat, corn, and soy. Consult with your vet to see if she has any allergies. Do not be fooled if they try to sell you on Science Diet. Even the prescription Science Diet is crap. Check out this site for good dog foods; I'm going to try to get a thread up on choosing a good dog food, not that I'm an expert either. A good dog food will help keep your dog's coat shiny and soft, and keep their skin healthy.

If she is actually LOSING her fur, has bare patches, the skin is dry, etc....could be ringworm, could be mange, or other things. Really the best thing to do is just going to be to take her to the vet. :)

Also, bathing as often as you are depends on the dog and the shampoo you are using. The vast majority of dogs need washed about once a month. Any more than that and it will definitely dry out the skin and coat.

Hope this helps.

alcastive

I see, she's been losing fur in an abnormal way and i guess that it's about food (i started to give her chips for treats since she likes them more than dog treats lol) and season changing, anyway i will take her to the veto for a check up, thank you both :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah maybe chips isn't the best treats to give...
Have you looked at the Recipes forum? Theres many recipes there that you could use. If you can handle cooking a beef heart, dogs love it, but it is kind of gross. :) Some have tried green peas and beans.

sara

Staff member
Frozen blueberries happens to be a fav. treat of my muttly crew's. Also Mini Bites salmon formula, freeze-dried fish, bits of apple, and, oddly enough asparagus. I have 3 dogs with food issues, and have to be very cautious with what I give them. Mouse, one of my little Dachshunds loses alot of fur in the fall She looks darn near bald on her head, neck, chest and sides, come October. but she grows most of it back by spring... I just dunno what is causing it, and wont without expensive allergy testing.

You may want to get her off Chicken, beef and pork, as they are the most common allergies for dogs. Scout is allergic to Chicken. it caused her to have a very coarse coat and soft stools (not diarrhea, just soft) so may be a similar reaction as your dog?

jackienmutts

Honored Member
If it is an abnormal amount of shedding, do have your dog checked by the vet and be sure to tell him/her. That can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. If it's coming out in (almost) handfuls (and it's not just her blowing her coat), have her checked before you start changing food, etc, trying to guess at allergies yourself - just to play it safe.

alcastive

Thank you all for the valuable advices, i only feed sasha dog food and treats (some chips lately) and i think the best way is to feed her only dog's food since i don't have any experience about dog food and health

I took Sasha to the veto today, he checked her up and said that she has a "weak bone" in her knee and she may break her knee if she fall too hard on it, i was very sad to hear that because i know JRT are very active dogs and mine is very hyper too and she run all the time and jump

the vet gave her a vaccine (anti worms i guess something for protecting her from bugs) actually it's kind of pill that he put inside her mouth.
the vet recommend me an oil that i can put it in sasha's food to reduce losing fur

this is the product:

charmedwolf

Staff member
Could you read off some of the ingredients for us? It does say " for shiny and healthy coat" right? My german is kinda rusty.

I know that some JRT are nervous dogs. One thing that happens when a dog is nervous can sometimes be sudden abnormal shedding.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I noticed that my dog started shedding a ton after flea treatment was put on him, and after he was neutered.
Young dogs go through a coat change and can have hair loss. Intact females may experience hair loss when they are coming into heat.
Allergies can cause hot spots or lack of hair. Other reasons could include stress, or lack of ingredient/s in your dogs diet.

alcastive

@ Charmedwolf I don't know German either, but this product info is written only in German i trust the doctor who sold me that product that's why i bought it and now after some days the losing have reduced 70% amazingly :)