Sanyo Seiki

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Hi! We are new here too. Tell us a bit about yourself - your dog, what kind of training you've been doing, what your working on...curious minds want to know! :)

SanyoSeiki

Thanks! I don't have dog's but i'm looking forward to buy one!... Can you give me some advice on what's the proper dog for a beginner like me? :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
GREAT QUESTION!!!

I much prefer getting a dog-pound dog, than buying one. I also prefer choosing ADULT dogs over puppies, as puppies are so so so much more work, in my opinion.

but, you are so so smart, to want to know more about what breed to get.

I think the main thing to focus on, is the energy level of the dog. Some breeds of dogs need lots of exercise or the dog becomes destructive, and chews up your house.
some breeds are happy enough with only 2 walks a day, and some play time.

HOW ACTIVE ARE YOU? Are you a runner, or a jogger, or skate boarder or a bicycle rider?? Or, do you spend most of your time reading, studying, watching tv, etc etc.

THIS MATTERS a LOT in what type of dog you might be happiest with.
If you spend most of your time playing computer games, and bring home a "high energy" dog, you AND the dog will both be unhappy.
If you are a runner, and want a dog to run with you, but you bring home a "low energy" breed of dog, then you might be disappointed that the dog can not keep up with you.

HOW MUCH TIME will you have to exercise the dog and train the dog? How many hours a day will your dog have to be home alone?

Dogster

Honored Member
LOVE your post, Tigerlily!!! I TOTALLY agree!!! You need to choose a dog with your kind of activity level. And, it also has to be a dog that you LIKE.:D

I also think adopting from a pound or shelter is better.:D "Cause then you actually save a dog in need.:)
I know that most first-time dog owners want the experience of a puppy...but, you need to have A LOT of time on your hands to take care of a puppy...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
mmmHm, yes, Dogster is right, those puppies are A LOT MORE WORK, than bringing home an easy adult dog, no picking up poopies for months....and months........no trying to teach the puppy to stop biting everyone's toes.........adults dogs wont' chew up your favorite stuff, if you give the adult dog enough exercise. Puppies might chew up your stuff.

lotsa reasons why puppies are more work than getting an adult dog, imo.

it's just easier to get an adult dog, but, it's YOUR HOUSE, though!! GOOD LUCK!!