Recall Training

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I hike with Remi every morning, and we recently found some quiet trails away from people. Today I took him with his long lead and let him go wonder on his own. I didn't take the leash off in case I had to chase him, but I dropped the leash and let him go where ever he wanted. I took chicken, and called him back every so often. He never once ignored him, he would run back walk by me for a minute or two and then wonder away again. If I told him to wait, he'd wait until I got closer then continue doing what he was doing.

I never thought that he would have a good recall considering he never listens to me in the backyard, so I was super excited the entire time.

I'm hoping to keep it exciting for him in the future. Are there any recall games I can play with him, so he always want to come back? I would call him and then run away and he enjoyed that. I don't want him to get tired of coming back, and just ignore me. But either way today was a huge mile stone in his training. I've never been so proud of him. :love:

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I play a recall game at my local park with Missy (on her long line), which includes random sits and downs. So it goes like this:

I send her off ahead of me with a "go on!".
Then the game begins!

1. I ask for a sit or a down (usually a down, because she's more likely to down further away from me)
3. then I release her with "okay"
4. I then call her back with "come." (of course!)
5. When she gets to me "good come, good girl."
6. Okay, get it! *I toss a treat into the grass for her to find*
7. I walk away and tell her "okay, sit"
etc.

Keeping it happy toned at all times! Her tail is ALWAYS curled up happy and she's super enthusiastic when working with me. :love: Very rarely does she blow me off... (doesn't listen). :D

I hope this helps. Keep up the grrreat work with Remi!

MaryK

Honored Member
That's super news! Lovely when your dog behaves so well:D

Missy BC has the same games I play with my boy, so cannot add any further games.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I'm going to try at the dog park and on our hikes to keep him entertained thank you Miss BC!

And it does Mary K! We are going through a rough patch so having him behave so well by choice helped boost my trust in our relationship! :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm going to try at the dog park and on our hikes to keep him entertained thank you Miss BC!

And it does Mary K! We are going through a rough patch so having him behave so well by choice helped boost my trust in our relationship! :)
Stay positive! We've all been through and will undoubtedly go through more, rough patches! Dogs are like us, don't always feel like working:eek: But LOL we are more patient with them than humans are to us! It's not a loss of trust, it's just Remi being Remi a dog! He still trusts and loves you but hey, he's got to have his 'off times', glad though it's boosted your trust:) Ra Kismet went through a spell when 'training' was almost a dirty word, all he wanted to do was play soccer, just checking in for a second doing the odd trick and off again. But, he came good, and is now tracking along well!