Rant: Don't You Just Wanna Slap Some Ppl Upside The Head!???

threenorns

yesterday was, not to put too fine a point on it, bloody evil hot. it was NASTY. i had shoes on and my feet were uncomfortable walking on the river path. we went floating down the river and had to walk back up - it's only a 10min walk at the most and about halfway there, we switched to walking on the grass bec the balls of our feet and our toes were uncomfortably warm.

so there's this guy coming along with two *lovely* lovely goldens - my favourite kind, the colour of heavy cream with long, long plumage. these poor dogs are limping like you wouldn't believe. they kept pulling toward the river and he kept checking them back even though they were wearing haltis (you do NOT use physical correction on a halti, that's supposed to be a totally separate leash to a collar!). i told the guy "your dogs should be on the grass - the pavement is way too hot". he looks down and says casually "they'll be fine."

i said "you won't be saying that when the pads of their feet swell up and blister and cause them to overheat because they can no longer cool down!" i was SO incensed!

he just scoffed and said "they're dogs - they're tough".

we'll see what he has to say next time he takes his dog to the vet bec i reported his ass.

sara

Staff member
I saw something like that the other day. It was 34C, 42C with the humidex... basically, INSANELY HOT! Several guys go skateboarding down the sidewalk downtown. .. with their heavy coated black dog running along behind them... off leash... dog was panting heavily. I wanted to say something, but was intimidated by the group. I did, however, call animal control. Not that they'd be able to find them by the time they got there

southerngirl

Honored Member
Wow Some people. Me and my mom called the police on someone this summer because they had their Yorkie in the car while they were shopping it was 88F outside. Where I live it is Illegal to leave your dog unattended in a car.

avalanche

Wow good for you I would have done the same thing then took my phone and taken a pic while he walk away. I would love to see his face when the vet tell him the same thing you did. LOL

MaryK

Honored Member
Good for you reporting that 'bleep' man!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me furious when people don't consider their dogs in extreme heat! There are laws against leaving a dog unattended in a car during summer, but try calling the police! It's NOT until you threaten to break the car windows, which a friend and I did, that they move and actually DO something!:mad:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
There were news stories on TV recently about dogs and kids in hot cars, and people were basically saying, go ahead and smash a window rather than wait for police, etc. You never know how long they've been in there before you noticed them.

MaryK

Honored Member
There were news stories on TV recently about dogs and kids in hot cars, and people were basically saying, go ahead and smash a window rather than wait for police, etc. You never know how long they've been in there before you noticed them.
Yes quite rightly so! We were just looking for something to smash the window when the police finally arrived!
If they hadn't, we definitely would have smashed the window, the poor dog was so hot and wouldn't have lasted much longer. The woman was fined, which is good.

Just recently too they're getting much more vigilant about fining people who leave kids and dogs in cars alone when it's searing heat.

threenorns

i have a script i will use at the first opportunity:

"hello, 911? yes, i'd like to report a vandalism on a red '97 sunfire with a dog in it parked on main street in front of the pub. damage? uhh... well, the dog's in the back seat passenger side, so the damage will be to the front driver's side window in, oh, call it three minutes."

threenorns

and you know, just because i have that kind of temper, i'd probably get the dog out and then nail the car a few more times and tell the cops i missed the window bec i was dizzy from the heat and distraught about the dog. *back of hand to forehead*

(although me as a wilting lily would be rather like a hippo in a tutu)