Ra Kismet - Evening At The Beach!

MaryK

Honored Member
So proud of my boy Ra Kismet. Everyone who's been on the forum for a while would know my boy had a very bad experience when we were out for a walk and were attacked by a dog jumping it's fence. Left my guy with some severe over reactions when he was around other dogs, especially those on a leash.

But tonight he excelled in Canine Good Manners!

As it's till broiling hot here my partner decided we all needed some 'time out' at the beach. Lovely thought and I didn't stop to think that other people, including those with dogs, would have the same thought! So off we all went. And, just a small aside here, Ra Kismet has now found a way to get onto the 'ledge' at the back of the new car, so he was doubly happy with life.

On arriving at the car park, which was mega full, the first thing I saw were two small dogs YIKES and we were not even out of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was quite surprised that Ra Kismet remained silent and reasonably still, standing on my lap of course, while I put on his lead and collar, dogs are not supposed to be on the beach at this time of year without a leash, or so my partner told me. Not a beep from Ra Kismet and he had also seen the dogs. Strapping on my 'trick bag' and with clicker on my wrist I emerged with him, fully expecting a lunge, but no nothing more than some energetic sniffing. He didn't even so much as glance over at the other dogs.

To actually get onto the beach we had to walk right past the two dogs, so I was feeling a little apprehensive as this was the closest we'd been to other dogs, having previously made some grand ninja moves to avoid close contact with strange dogs. No reaction from him whatsoever, didn't even bother to alert, nothing just walked past as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

To say I was surprised and also delighted would be understating the matter quite a bit, but boy was it a grand feeling to trot past other dogs without a single 'leave' 'look at me' or 'walk on'. My chest swelled with pride and I felt like shouting to the world "hey did you see that, he didn't react at all".

But of course I didn't, just acted as if this was the most normal thing, he's always this good!

On the beach, well I think every man, woman, child and dog had the same idea, head to the beach at sunset to cool down, for there were dogs, many dogs of all sizes shapes and descriptions, and a lot off their leashes! For a moment there I considered heading straight back to the car, but it was a lot cooler on the beach and Ra Kismet was just trotting along, so I just kept trotting along too.

Can you imagine just how proud I am of the chap?? Not one single reaction, other than 'howdy' to the dogs who raced up to say 'hi'. He didn't bat a beautiful eyelid, and he was on his leash the entire time, just stood and exchanged the correct doggy greetings. Even with one large lab type dog, who wasn't too sure whether to be friends or not stiff tail, body, ears back etc., Ra Kismet just moved back a fraction but nothing more. Though I was glad when the other dog's owner came over and got him. Neither did Ra Kismet get upset at a cheeky Peke who actually barked at him, he just looked down and said 'hi' - doggy style of course.

Honestly, it was just grand!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of the boy, especially as there were more dogs on the beach than at the Pooch Park. He handled himself with complete ease and aplomb, the perfect Canine Citizen, not a bark, not a single lunge, nothing, just good doggy manners!

Which was fortunate because he also wanted to play in the sea and I totally forgot the trick bag was strapped onto my waist, so all the treats were sodden and salty, no click/treat, just had to use 'good boy' as his 'reward' for being the best behaved chappy on the beach.

And his Big Bro Zeus was also, apart from some happy barks, well behaved but then he always has been bomb proof. Maybe that helped?

To those of you who are also dealing with over reactive dogs, don't give up, it's a marvelous feeling when your dog suddenly decides to become "The Perfect Canine Citizen":)

MaryK

Honored Member
That's awesome that Ra Kismet was so well behaved. I can't wait till Missy is a model citizen instead of making me turn red from embarrassment with all her barking and pulling.
Thank you Southerngirl:) Missy will get there, but I know just how you feel with the red face, Ra Kismet caused my face to burn more than once. Hang in there, it's so worth it when they do finally behave!

MaryK

Honored Member
Fantastic news!! It's especially great when it happens on days like you had, it's so nice when you all can have just a terrific fun day!!! I think days like that help them a lot too, dogs can = fun!! Bravo!! (y):D:cool:
Thank you Jackie:) It's truly fantastic news!!!!! I'm still in shock, nicely so, we had the very best fun and Rakins came home a very wet, sandy but oh so happy dog and slept for ages!!!!!!!!;):cool::D

MaryK

Honored Member
Quickie post note. Was still babbling on about how good Ra Kismet had been to my partner, who with the blankest look ever said, 'but he didn't react to dogs the other night either, nor a very friendly cat who wandered up to say hi". My partner, due to the extremely hot weather had actually offered to walk Ra Kismet the night before, and when doing 'curb drill' met the cat, and also along the way other dogs on his walk.

So it seems like Ra Kismet has made a decision that being a Model Canine Citizen again is the way to go!:) It wasn't just a one off. Oh yes, he did manage though to fall into a very smelly duck pond LOL still haven't found out whether he attempted to chase the ducks or, as my partner said 'just walked in' and found it deeper than he thought.

Honored Member
Quickie post note. Was still babbling on about how good Ra Kismet had been to my partner, who with the blankest look ever said, 'but he didn't react to dogs the other night either, nor a very friendly cat who wandered up to say hi". My partner, due to the extremely hot weather had actually offered to walk Ra Kismet the night before, and when doing 'curb drill' met the cat, and also along the way other dogs on his walk.

So it seems like Ra Kismet has made a decision that being a Model Canine Citizen again is the way to go!:) It wasn't just a one off. Oh yes, he did manage though to fall into a very smelly duck pond LOL still haven't found out whether he attempted to chase the ducks or, as my partner said 'just walked in' and found it deeper than he thought.
Good work (y)

I have to admit that strange cats are one of the few things that Holly will pull towards so that we have to stop walking.