Police Dog Attacks Man At Walmart!!!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
The release of the door without the handler present is likely an "emergency" signal -- the officer is down and releases the door so the dog can help. So the dog probably exited very charged up. I haven't seen the video, I wonder if the guy started running (a reasonable impulse!). It's not an excuse, there was nothing to indicate that poor guy was doing anything wrong, but if you want to make a dog a weapon, there will be an inevitable misfire. At least the dogs are taught to bite and hold, and the dog didn't go further.

I hope the guy's ok. I can't believe he dragged himself and the dog in the store to ask for help!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dilly, try to not to lump all police dogs together based on this incident, most of them are very well controlled by their handlers. I don't know this event reflects any reason to question the training used for these dogs. This is an unusual event, a police dog attacking without an order.

I've helped stitch up many a victim who was ordered to be attacked, and wow, those dogs sure can do some damage, though...some require surgery. I think i'd rather be tazored....

jackienmutts

Honored Member
A&C is absolutly right, when those doors open remotely, that dog comes out fully charged and ready to roll. I'm sure that person was shocked when that dog came out (so smelled of fear - as any of us would) and the dog reacted. It was a sad "accident" that never should have happened. But again, as far as training, the dog bit and held, it didn't maul and rip the person to shreds. Thanks heavens help was in the store and the situation was readily rectified.

As for police dogs, I've met and petted several, and they've all been very well trained. They've all been very focused (as far as their training) and very relaxed when off-duty. Perhaps living with GSs for the past 30 or so years has give me extra understanding of the breed, but I know how fast they can "turn on and off". No need to be afraid of police dogs (unless you're doing something you shouldn't be). I have no doubt in this dog's mind, he was doing his job (without instructions, per that door opening) to the best of his ability. Here's hoping that every 'misfunctioning' door on every police car is fixed, as once again, this could be only one of a whole spade of "accidents" happening at inopportune moments - and who will be blamed? Sad.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Okay, that makes sense!! I was only scared around them because I didn't know enough about them. Now I feel a lot better!

I haven't seen any updates for this story, but if I do, I'll make sure to post it here. I don't know how bad the injuries are… :(

Thanks for clearing things up for me!

bekah1001

Honored Member
A&C is absolutly right, when those doors open remotely, that dog comes out fully charged and ready to roll. I'm sure that person was shocked when that dog came out (so smelled of fear - as any of us would) and the dog reacted. It was a sad "accident" that never should have happened. But again, as far as training, the dog bit and held, it didn't maul and rip the person to shreds. Thanks heavens help was in the store and the situation was readily rectified.

As for police dogs, I've met and petted several, and they've all been very well trained. They've all been very focused (as far as their training) and very relaxed when off-duty. Perhaps living with GSs for the past 30 or so years has give me extra understanding of the breed, but I know how fast they can "turn on and off". No need to be afraid of police dogs (unless you're doing something you shouldn't be). I have no doubt in this dog's mind, he was doing his job (without instructions, per that door opening) to the best of his ability. Here's hoping that every 'misfunctioning' door on every police car is fixed, as once again, this could be only one of a whole spade of "accidents" happening at inopportune moments - and who will be blamed? Sad.
I've seen a police dog demonstration. It was awesome.

rouen

Experienced Member
Maybe our K-9 teams are just poor examples but.. One day I was waiting in a parkinglot and a woman had called the police cause someone hit her car while she was shopping. Cop arrived, as soon as the car started to slow down the dog in the back of his cruiser got worked up. When the officer got out of his vehicle the dog was so loud they had to yell, and the dog was bouncing around making the car rock.

I've seen two of our SAR dogs doing search demos as well, the cop toss'd a bumper 30ft, took the dog about 10-15 mins to find it. I wasn't overly impressed, one dog walked over it a few times before finding it. :confused:

bekah1001

Honored Member
Maybe our K-9 teams are just poor examples but.. One day I was waiting in a parkinglot and a woman had called the police cause someone hit her car while she was shopping. Cop arrived, as soon as the car started to slow down the dog in the back of his cruiser got worked up. When the officer got out of his vehicle the dog was so loud they had to yell, and the dog was bouncing around making the car rock.

I've seen two of our SAR dogs doing search demos as well, the cop toss'd a bumper 30ft, took the dog about 10-15 mins to find it. I wasn't overly impressed, one dog walked over it a few times before finding it. :confused:
The police dog I saw did bite and drug search. The drug dog was a lab. he was soo cute and found the planted drugs quite fast.