Please Sign Petition To Ban Unsafe Dog Treats

Dice Smith

Signed and thank you so much for sharing it here :) I've been signing so many petitions like this one lately. It's really starting to scare me.:sick: I haven't bought Kodi any dog treats in months. Instead I've been using snacks like popcorn and crackers when we train. I don't want to risk his health or life. What upsets me the most is that the companies won't voluntarily recall their product because they care more about making a profit than the welfare of the pets eating these products. Even once the problem gets sorted out and they find out what the toxin is from (which will hopefully happen very soon) I personally won't be buying their products still. (n)

Dice Smith

And on another note, I've been thinking about writing on post it notes "WARNING! DO NOT BUY. THESE TREATS ARE TOXIC AND KILLING DOGS!!!" And then sticking them to the store shelves and on the treat bags themselves since the FDA, companies and stores won't do it themselves since they only care about making a profit. I'm not sure if I can get in trouble for this (with our US government probably :p ) but at this point I don't care. All I'm hearing about everyday are dogs dying from tainted food and it needs to STOP!!! Sorry, if I seem a little bit angry but this issue is very near and dear to my heart. During the huge petfood recall a few years back we lost two cats and a litter of kittens we were caring for to tainted pet food. I still feel horrible and angry over the whole situation. (Months after they finally recalled the food our local wal mart kept the tainted food on their shelves proving that money is all that matters to them :mad: ) Now I'm off to go share this petition link on facebook, and my youtube and every other site I can find. I think I'll try craigslist to while I'm at it.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Done. This is also not the first petition I've signed, but sadly I think it's so political, the profits so huge, and the Big Pet Food Industry's voice so loud, the treats won't be banned. The only way it will happen is with us, as consumers, speaking with our wallets. And people are still buying in huge quantities. HUGE quantities. I was just at Costco a couple days ago and couldn't believe how many people I saw with Chinese Jerky Treats in their carts. Truly, if you were Costco (or insert any other big box store here) , would you pull them? (Ok, we as true dog-lovers, couldn't allow the possibility of dogs possibly dying on our consciences - but the buyers at ... insert big box store here ... must speak and answer to more than just a small handful of us when it comes to the bottom dollar). IF - huge IF - everyone would stop buying, they - the big THEY - would listen, including the FDA. Right now, I think they're doing some kind of placating dance ..... ok, we'll check, nope couldn't find anything, not sure why the dogs are dying .... meantime, the imports go on, the $$$ keep racking up, dogs get sick and die, and all fingers keep pointing back to one thing. And the FDA keeps silent.

I think it's so important for us as responsible pet parents to continue to educate those around us - others who just may not have heard yet -- and yes, believe it or not, there are still lots of those out there. I was recently at someone's house and went to give their dog a treat and was horrified at what I saw in their cabinet. I came home and emailed her a truckload of info. She informed me she had no idea and threw everything away - and she also told her husband, and emailed her mom and sister - who also had no idea. She's now checking every single label. As with so many things, it all comes back to education. Educate your friends, and ask them to spread the word to everyone they know - and so on. Little by little, if people stop buying, there will be no need to recall. Companies don't import, and stores don't stock what doesn't sell. If the FDA and/or big stores or companies won't listen, then we as "little people" can take over and do it ourselves, one person at a time. We're loud, we have wallets, and we DO have a voice. Use it, educate, and make the decision not to purchase. We can change this ... even if the big wheels think we can't. Sad that pets have (and will) pay the price in the meantime, but give us time, word will get out. I have to believe we can stand up to 'em and be heard - good and loud, like a rowdy dog!!!! :mad:

Dogster

Honored Member
Signed.
It's sickening just how many of these dog treats are out there:sick: Not many people look at labels, especially where it's made. We have to STOP this!!!!!:mad: How can people be so selfish and not care enough to pull these products from their stores when innocent pets are getting sick and dying before us?!?!?!:confused::mad::cry: This is INSANE!!!! We should be caring about the health and well-being of our beloved pets, not ca$h flow.

mtagntz

Signed. I saw a lady at petsmart the other day and in her cart she had 3 different brands that are the ones that are killing dogs :/ It was really depressing. I can't believe that those companies still have commercials running.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you everyone so much for signing and sharing. I agree with every single word you've all written. If we, the consumers, spread the word and people stop buying then the Big Fat Corporations will stop making contaminated food. Makes me so mad too:mad::mad:

Dice - so terrible sorry to hear that you suffered and lost a litter of kittens and two cats. That's just too sad for words. Can feel for you so much.:cry::cry:

As to putting stickers, chose a very quiet time and become a "Ninja Sticker" it just may work. Somewhere over something, cannot recall what/where etc. someone did just that. It made the news too.

We could all try printing up leaflets, don't have to be long and involved, and handing them out at the Super Markets. I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but I'm sure going to try! Or put them under the wipers on cars in the car park.

Cannot say anything regarding the Law though. I would think it's part of the 'right of free speech' but who knows how the Law would interpret that.

Must see if there's a FaceBook page just related to this. Sure there would be.