Peeing In The House

southerngirl

Honored Member
For the past month Chase has been peeing the house, he's even done it right in front of us. When Chase has to go potty he let's us know by going to someone and jumps around, he did not do that when he had the accidents. Chase is 16 years old. Is it from old age? Does he need to be taken out more often now? My dad does not like animals and is very angry about Chase peeing in the house, he will hit Chase and I don't want this to happen.

Dogster

Honored Member
I think it's from old age, unfortunately.:(

Try to explain to your dad not to get mad at Chase because it's not his fault.

I would treat Chase like a puppy; take him out every hour or two, 10-15 minutes after he drinks and after he eats.
If he starts to pee more, I would consider a doggy diaper, so he won't wet the floors.

Watch him closely. He's getting older, maybe he doesn't have enough energy to go up to someone and jump around to let them know he needs to go out? Look out for any signs that he needs to go out. A soft whine, standing by the door,...etc.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Because of his age and the fact that he doesn´t lift his paw or anything, I wouls say that he can´t control his bladder anymore proberly.
Cleaning and dogdiapers are the only solution I think.
More short walks might also work.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree with the above. Diapers are wonderful and will help him and keep your father off his back.

Please ask your father to realize Chase cannot help it, and remind him it also happens to humans so would he get mad at them!

Just one other thing. Is Chase drinking an excessive amount of water?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks everyone for your input. My father really doesn't care, I tell him all the time Chase is old he can't help it. I mean the dog is 16! I'll just have to watch Chase closely to see if he needs to go out and if he does potty in the house I hope I can get it up before he sees.
I don't know about the water because his bowls are in my brothers room, they feed and water him. I'll ask my brothers.

MaryK

Honored Member
The other thing is Chase may have a urinary infection. One of my GS's had that and it caused her to pee everywhere. Once the infection was cleared, all was back to normal. It's hard to say with a dog of 16 whether it's 'senior moments' or something more wrong.

Do find out about the water please. This may have bearing on the problem, especially if Chase is drinking more than normal. Some of the problems thought to be 'old age' are really symptoms of something else happening.

I feel for you Southerngirl (hugs)

southerngirl

Honored Member
My brother said he's not drinking any more than usually. All of use have been taking Chase out a lot and making sure we take him out if he starts whining or sitting at the door.

Linda A

Experienced Member
The first thing I would do is take Chase to the vet and have him checked to make sure there is no hidden medical problem. Other than that I'd suggest a belly band. (diaper for male dog) Works great for those who have dogs who mark in the house!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Southerngirl, I'm catching up on some threads - and this one makes me feel so sad. I'm sad for Chase, and I'm sad for you, having to watch your old dog get in trouble for something he can't help. You've been given excellent advice. Chase may have a urinary infection (or something else), or he may just be old. When dogs get that old, sometimes they can't hold it long enough to get outside, sometimes they just start dribbling without even knowing it, sometimes they forget where they are and just start peeing - it could be any or all of the above. If he's medically ok, then just keep doing what you're doing and get him outside as often as possible to take care of his business. It's sad that your dad is so intolerant of an old dog. We all (if we're lucky) will be old one day, and we should be so lucky as to have someone be as tolerant of us as our dogs are. It's sad that when they get old, sometimes "we" lose patience with them rather then act graciously towards them, and accept their issues that come with age (as most likely, we'll all have "issues" as we age). I'm sorry you're having to witness your dad's intolerance. I wish I could suggest ways to get thru to him, but I can't. I'm glad Chase has you to look out for him. Do your best to keep him safe, as at 16, you know he's coming to the end of his time with you. Thanks for caring so much about him.

MaryK

Honored Member
Jackie has expressed how I think we all are feeling very eloquently. It's so hard to watch our faithful doggy friends getting older, but one thing I know for sure is that Chase knows he's loved by you. I too wish there was someway I could help you get through to your father, maybe a quiet talk kept low key and unemotional, pointing out that we all get old and suffer from debilitating things and we would want someone to be kind and caring, just may help.

What you're doing is the best thing, getting Chase outside a.s.a.p. and often. Also, I would take him for a senior check, not sure if your vets do this for nothing as our vets do, but a visit is needed just to make sure, as Linda says, there isn't anything underlying the reason Chase is peeing inappropriately. Also, as Linda suggests, the doggy diaper belts really work well in these cases.

Can feel for you, stay calm and try (though I fully understand it's not easy) to stay positive and know you are doing all you can to help Chase.

Glad to read he's not drinking excessively, that rules out a few nasties which sprang to mind.