"paws Up" Day 1

Anneke

Honored Member
I love the way Knoxx leans on the box. Look at me, look at me!!!:D
Luka seems to think, what? put my paw on the box?? Really? Are you sure? Well, Knoxx is doing it, so maybe I'll do it too...:ROFLMAO:
The puppies are still cute! Jett did well!

Is that the bug-clicker you are using? I do like the subtle sound of it!!
I found a webshop that sells them, over here. 25 eurocents for one. I'm thinking of getting a bunch of them. A lot cheaper than the normal clickers!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WONDERFUL work, love to watch you train, Pawtential.
It's probably hard for some baby dogs to distinguish being clicked for stepping on box, vs. being clicked for eating the treat!!:ROFLMAO:

Does each puppy watch the others being trained? Or they can not see what is going on if it is not their turn? Just so remarkable how much better the 3rd baby did than the 1st baby.

MORE!!
MORE!!

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Luka seems to think, what? put my paw on the box?? Really? Are you sure? Well, Knoxx is doing it, so maybe I'll do it too...:ROFLMAO:
Knoxx is such a doll - he cracks me up!
Luka is still overcoming his fear of all things unknown - his training is progressing slowly - but we are getting there. He generally works better in the company of others. Except for the bubbles - no matter what Knoxx did - he didn't want in on it...

It's probably hard for some baby dogs to distinguish being clicked for stepping on box, vs. being clicked for eating the treat!!:ROFLMAO:
It can get tricky when graduating criteria and extending duration.
I was looking for several criteria:
Interact with box
Step on box
Remain standing on box

Switching between the two means the click pattern may not be very clear - sometimes I am rewarding the remaining and not the stepping on. I thought about that as I watched it back and I think I will tweak to just a verbal and treat for extended duration and save clicking for positioning. I have taught it both ways and we'll see what happens.

Some people use only one click - which ends the behavior...
Others use a single click to bridge the behavior and mean keep going or you're doing well...
Others like myself also use multiple clicks when the whole behavior is right and we jackpot...

Just a different style is all....:)

Does each puppy watch the others being trained? Or they can not see what is going on if it is not their turn?
So with the current setup here - the pups are in their room until it is their turn - I needed to eliminate the screaming while waiting and though dogs definitely can learn by watching another dog - this was not the case.

Jinx [the first one] is highly food motivated but has as of yet to turn her brain on to full power - like Mouse I suspect - she is too focused on the food to think. I look forward to seeing her when she gets it!

Jett [the last one] he is hit or miss - somedays he gets things really quickly and others he could care less...:D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Others like myself also use multiple clicks when the whole behavior is right and we jackpot...

Just a different style is all....:)//

lol, i use verbal praise when he jackpots, verrrry hard for me NOT to, especially for *my* particular dog----- THAT is what he reeeeeally wants anyway, maybe even more than food.:rolleyes:

It'd be interesting to see Jinx go last. Dogs can learn from watching each other. Each pup did better than the pup before.;) I wonder if that would make much difference, putting Jinx last in line? it'd be fun to watch, anyway, to see if that matters.
and yeah, a few times, i can see where it *almost* looks like Jinx is being clicked for EATING the treat, but, with such short amounts of time, it's hard to avoid, i'd think. Maybe if you could find a a slightly longer box where paws hit box and you have time to click before dog can reach treat to eat it, cuz treat is just another inch away...........not sure.
lol, you might end up with all 4 paws on box though!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Hey Pawtential, many of us training dogs can vouch, that one wrong click (mistake on OUR part) can take a dog a while to "undo",
and then, we have a dog doing wrong thing, cuz WE clicked him for the wrong thing. You know what i mean?
Oh, it CAN be undone, but, it takes a little while, to correct our mistake, cuz dog keeps offering the wrong behavior that WE clicked by accident.

Is this true of puppies as well?

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
The puppies are still cute! Jett did well!

Is that the bug-clicker you are using? I do like the subtle sound of it!!
I found a webshop that sells them, over here. 25 eurocents for one. I'm thinking of getting a bunch of them. A lot cheaper than the normal clickers!

I cant find any for sale in uk when i googled. :(

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
This is true:

Dogs can learn by watching each other - but the pups could not see each other at all and I really want their learning styles to develop without intervention or aid of another pup - this way I can get a gauge for true problem solving ability. I am not worried that she learns slower - just different.

Do pups learn the same as adults in that an ill timed click can create a out of sync behavior - absolutely but normally a dog needs to be at least a bit clicker savvy first. This exercise is a poor example of "normal" clicker training. As someone on Youtube said - the treat shouldn't be given first...but this was simply a style of luring so the click was for forward movement towards, near or on the box - since my lure hand is so close it does seem like the reward comes from eating the treat from my hand or off the box.

As the pups come to understand the way clicker training works and the rate of reinforcement doesn't have to be quick - you will see the difference ... this is just a very unclear vid for that.

The longer box works when they can stay on the other side of it :ROFLMAO: - but I actually have a little step ladder we are graduating to. I will post vid clips shortly...

running_dog

Honored Member
I cant find any for sale in uk when i googled. :(
There are lots of sites if you Google "insect clicker uk" or "beetle clicker uk" but Tickseed Toys are the cheapest I found and the postage isn't bad at all - because it is flat rate you could get 50 clickers for the same postage as one... if you did that Tiff you would be the clear winner for greatest number of clickers!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
There are lots of sites if you Google "insect clicker uk" or "beetle clicker uk" but Tickseed Toys are the cheapest I found and the postage isn't bad at all - because it is flat rate you could get 50 clickers for the same postage as one... if you did that Tiff you would be the clear winner for greatest number of clickers!