Painting My Dazzle

madeleine

Experienced Member
My first attempt to paint Epic Dazzle. I've never touched a paintbrush before so I'm surprisingly pleased with the result.:)
Mixing paint for the coulors it hard though, especially when your running low and there is still a lot to paint. Then try to get the same mix again... Took looooooots of time!:D

Amateur

Experienced Member
I tried "painting" for the first time too ( used water colour pencils)
- the pics are somewhere on here
one of my dog and another of a friends - I too was pleased with what I could do

I think you have an excellent start to your new painting career

MaryK

Honored Member
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!:love: You really have talent! Your perspective is excellent(y) And you've captured the eye really well, along with the natural body shape!(y) Plus you painting has movement, it's not static, I feel as if Dazzle is about to leap around. Really impressed(y)(y) .

You'll find at first Acrylic paint is the easiest to work with, water colors can be a bit tricky and oils are difficult (plus expensive). Pastels are fun but if you ever work with those, do make sure the area you work in is well ventilated the dust can really get down your throat.

Do keep painting, you've got serious talent!!!!!!!!!

Amateur

Experienced Member
Do you have any paintings to show Mary - sounds like you know a bit about it all

Maddy - I agree with Mary that the perspective and body shape is excellent. I havent tried acrylics but the watercolour pencils are great for laying down detail -- give them a try too .

madeleine

Experienced Member
Uhm haven't thought about all the stuff mentioned but thanks for the compliment!!
I'm sticking with acrylic, atleast for asslong when the running low. It's hard enough to do without making it more difficult by trying another type off paint.

Would love to see more painting from all of you offcourse!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Uhm haven't thought about all the stuff mentioned but thanks for the compliment!!
I'm sticking with acrylic, atleast for asslong when the running low. It's hard enough to do without making it more difficult by trying another type off paint.

Would love to see more painting from all of you offcourse!!!
Experimentation is fun!!!!!!!!! But LOL can be addictive (and expensive).

The only one I have at present, isn't finished. I gave away quite a few, had some scanned into the computer but lost them in the 'great computer crash':( When I have some time??? I want to do some more, so will post then. But LOL don't hold your breath, it can take a while, with so much else to do.

Yes Amateur you're right, forgot the water color pencils, Derwent is a good brand, a little expensive but then all art supplies are VERY expensive here, compared with Europe. I've used those quite a few times too, mostly for flowers, they seem to work for me on flowers. And they are great for outlines, also charcol is good, but oh so messy!!!!!!!! Even just ordinary pencils, it's amazing what can be done with those, using the different thicknesses.

Which reminds me, I do have one of a foal's head, if it's not packed as much of my stuff is, I'll post that one.

madeleine

Experienced Member
And the third painting failed.... Tried to paint my boyfriends dog, also a kelpie but with the fawn and tan color (fawn is a dillution off brown) but the color wouldn't work. Somehow I just didn't get the right color mix.. Thats frustrating!!
Especially since i love the background, If I start over I never get that again. So can i paint over the wrong color?
The second painting is a blue merle border colue from a friend off our. That one did work out well enough. I'll aks if i can post a pic here!

MaryK

Honored Member
And the third painting failed.... Tried to paint my boyfriends dog, also a kelpie but with the fawn and tan color (fawn is a dillution off brown) but the color wouldn't work. Somehow I just didn't get the right color mix.. Thats frustrating!!
Especially since i love the background, If I start over I never get that again. So can i paint over the wrong color?
The second painting is a blue merle border colue from a friend off our. That one did work out well enough. I'll aks if i can post a pic here!
Depends on what color you're trying to over paint. Light over dark, with acrylics, doesn't work (you can do this with oils, plus 'scrape' off paint different ball game) but if it's light over dark you're in with a shot. Just don't over paint too much, otherwise it will come out looking 'muddy/messy'. Anyway you can 'blend' in another color? By that I mean, just use short strokes, maybe not totally representational but may improve the overall appearance. Give the impression of the fawn color. If you need to lighten dark paint, you may just get away with adding a few short strokes of a lighter color. Don't expect it though to be totally 'right' as I said light over dark doesn't work with acrylics. But don't try to 'block out' the darker color by totally over painting - it will end up a right royal mess!

Plus, if you're having problems getting a color right, mix it on your palette and try it elsewhere on white paper/cardboard before actually using it on your work. Saves a lot of angst!!!!!!!!!!!! Been there done that and it sure is frustrating having the color not quite right.

Sometimes starting over can produce even better backgrounds, I know, I've done and felt exactly how you feel, but my only answer was to start again. And I surprised myself, I actually came up with an even better background than the first. It's all part of the learning curve. Just don't give up, you have real talent!

If you can post the painting on your profile, will make it easier to help.