Old Dog New Puppy?

sapple

I have a 7 y/o lab newfy, Cosmo, that we adopted about 4 years ago. He was chained outside and never around other people or animals for most if not all of his life. When we adopted him, we already had an adult chihuahua in the house. Cosmo never interacted with the chi but does chase our cats if they run. He has become increasingly anxious the past year and now seems almost like he is having hallucinations. He does not get along with other dogs and will try to attack them. My question is do you think he would be able to adjust to another small dog coming into the house? Again he didn't have any problems with our chihuahua but maybe that was because she was already living here when Cosmo joined the family??

MaryK

Honored Member
First, thank you for rescuing Cosmo:) I would be very careful about introducing another dog, small or otherwise, as he's never fully (understandable so) adjusted or socialized with other dogs. He may be suffering from a little 'senior citizen's moments' (like older humans can) which won't help.

However, before actually introducing another dog into your house I would definitely have a 'meet and greet' session, maybe more than one, in a controlled neutral enviroment to see how he reacts. I wouldn't just 'bring home' another dog.

sapple

Thanks for the feedback. Doing a meet and greet probably isn't an option because he gets so anxious about anything and everything (e.g., leaving the house, riding in a car). I've tried bringing other dogs to the house over the years but that doesn't work either. For a while I thought another dog in the house might help him with his anxiety but no matter what we try, it hasn't worked!

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
From what you've said it doesn't seem like bringing another dog it to the house would be a good idea. If Cosmo is really nervous, and is having possible hallucinations it wouldn't be good for him. It will most likely cause him more stress and anxiety.

Have you had him checked by a vet for his anxiety and (possible) hallucinations? If you haven't you should especially before you bring another dog home.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for the feedback. Doing a meet and greet probably isn't an option because he gets so anxious about anything and everything (e.g., leaving the house, riding in a car). I've tried bringing other dogs to the house over the years but that doesn't work either. For a while I thought another dog in the house might help him with his anxiety but no matter what we try, it hasn't worked!
Oh dear, then I would definitely say Cosmo wouldn't be happy with another dog in the house. Some dogs are like some humans, just don't want a lot of 'friends' around the house. They prefer their own company.

I would though have him vet checked about his hallucinations though, just to be sure. Cannot be too careful with the senior dogs.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I agree, bringing a new dog into Cosmo's world doesn't sound like a good idea at all. May I ask what you mean by him seeming to have hallucinations, tho? What does he do to make you think that? And if he's suddenly more anxious and/or stressed than usual, it definitly seems like a vet check is in order - for both his increased anxiety and his "hallucinations".

And to answer your question - since your Chi was part of the household when Cosmo came to you, he probably did learn to accept her as part of the household - altho as you said, they didn't have a "relationship" (per se), they are/were just "housemates". Do you still have your Chihuahua?