Off Lead Obedience?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there.

Missy and I have been working in our backyard these days (I hadn't taught her obedience in the backyard as a pup - there were too many squirrels and birds out there as distractions - which I didn't feel like having to deal with until now).

Well, she's getting better but I really would love her to be able to be off leash in our backyard and park close by which are both unfenced... - and her not to go far.

Is there anyway I could speed up the process at all?

She's turning two on September 27th this month if that's at all helpful.

It would be nice for her to be able to go outside and play fetch and do tricks etc. with me off leash (I think she knows when she's on her 15' lead and so knows she can't go far, which doesn't really help as I need her to know she has to listen even without a leash).

She does still try to run off though as if she is chasing something, and while doing so, hits the end of the leash... - when this happens I use a random recall: "come" then bump, bump, bump to tell her "Excuse me I'm calling you!" which is supposed to work... - it's called "escape avoidance training".

*not all my clothes have pockets which is a downfall to teaching her to listen to me even if I don't have my treat pouch...*

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to make sure I am on the right track.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

MissyBC

P.S. She knows all her basic commands and hand signals - up to Grade 3 Obedience. (she just gets too excited in the backyard and mainly only listens if I have treats on me.)

Anneke

Honored Member
You could try dropping the lead, so it drags behind her. That way to her it still feels like you have control;) If you don't feel safe dropping the lead, because she might still get away from you, you could replace the lead for a long leash, like a long rope. Hold the end in your hand, and let the rest drag.
I used to step on the leash, to stop my dog from getting away from me, but that does have the downside of giving an enormous yerk, when he reached the end of the lead. That will also happen when they are on a long lead, but you have a lot more time for a recall;)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Do make sure your rewards are REALLY HIGH value, also - and when she does come to you, reward, then off again to go play. Don't make her coming to you the end of her play session. Have you tried anything like a "light line" - a really light long training line, all kinds of lengths, 30, 40, 50' - she can't go far, you'll always have her - but they're very light, so she wouldn't notice it as much as she would a leash. And I hate to say it - but right now, while you're still training her, make sure you have that bait bag since you don't always have pockets. Rewarding her well for the behavior you want will only prove to strenghten it.

Dogster

Honored Member
I feel for you. Shivon is only off leash at the dog park and backyrd. I need really high value treats to keep her from running away from me.:(:rolleyes: Recall is not going great, as soon as we're doing well, she decides not to listen to me.... anyways... I have a longline now so I'll start training with that.