Noisy Girl. Please Help

southerngirl

Honored Member
Every time someone comes in my room including Chase, Missy starts whining. It is really annoying I've tried telling her to leave the room, grab her collar and lead her out, but neither has worked.She goes to her bed and tucks herself into a ball, which I don't get because I'm not raising my voice or yanking on her collar. She also starts making all her hyena noises and jumping on people when come over. I know how to stop the jumping, but how do I stop her from making her noises?

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Have you tried directing her to an incompatible behavior i.e. grabbing a certain toy, or taught a chain such as bringing a toy to your bed, etc.? The punishments haven't worked because it's most likely that she's whining due to anxiety, and it's hard to quash that (like trying to not smile when something's funny). You can try giving her a treat when someone comes in, but since she's probably not upset about which person/animal has entered, but rather just disconcerted because your joint 'den' has been invaded, that may not be enough. Getting her to redirect her energy through training/directing her behavior both reinforces your communication with her, and gives her something to do when she's faced with the 'invasion.' You can see if your siblings will help you with some setups.

The same thing will help with her greeting people. In the canine world, greetings and arrivals can be tense times. Teaching her to show people her new toy both gives her something to do when people enter, and gives her a means of establishing a relationship with them. Most people will interact with a dog carrying a toy, and those that don't, Missy will know they are benign and uninterested in her. So instead of "OMG who's this, what're we going to do?" she's got a task and a means of establishing who's friendly and who is aloof but ok.

As far as her tucking up in her bed, it's because she's reading your body language and knows you're annoyed. Dogs read us extremely closely!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank so much you for the advice.:) I will defiantly try directing her attention to a toy. I'll have to see how many siblings I can bargain with to help me out.:sneaky:

Leaf Hunter

Have you tried treating a second or two before the anxiety starts? I might not use a clicker or treat bag either, because the noises might create excitement and get in the way of teaching. Just keep a few treats in your pocket and casually pop them into her mouth right as the dog or person is entering the room and before she has a chance to tense up.

Also see where the first trigger is. Is it the door knock, the door opening, or is it when the person or dog cross an imaginary line?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Have you tried treating a second or two before the anxiety starts? I might not use a clicker or treat bag either, because the noises might create excitement and get in the way of teaching. Just keep a few treats in your pocket and casually pop them into her mouth right as the dog or person is entering the room and before she has a chance to tense up.

Also see where the first trigger is. Is it the door knock, the door opening, or is it when the person or dog cross an imaginary line?
The reason I know when people come is because of Missy making noises so I'm not sure what the first trigger is. I'll pay better attention next time someone or Chase comes in my room.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I've started having Missy go to her place when someone comes in. Right now I' m clicking when she is calm while someone is in the room. I tried the getting a toy but it wasn't working so I' m going to teach her to hold the toy when someone's in my room or comes over.

Linda A

Experienced Member
Sounds like her trigger is hearing footsteps. Now you are really going to have to start listening. When you hear someone approaching your room when does Missy start her whining? Ten feet from your door? Five feet? When you figure that out you can start distracting her with a toy or whatever before they reach that point.