New Puppy!

laramie

Experienced Member
I've been a member here for several years, but I haven't been on in such a while! In June of 2014, we added a new puppy to the family. After months of looking for a dog through rescues all over the country, I couldn't find a dog/puppy that would fit our rather crazy family situation. So, I found an awesome and responsible breeder (they take the puppy/dog back if you can no longer take care of it and everything!), and we drove six and a half hours to Kentucky to get the little girl. So... this is little Winter. She's a blue merle Border Collie and has one of the biggest personalities!
IMG_72373296714682.jpeg
2014-10-22 15.46.41.jpg

laramie

Experienced Member
I'm not exactly sure why I haven't been on in so long! :confused: But, as of November of last year, I've been trying to start a dog training business in my area, so I've been busy! That's why I decided to check the website out again; it's such a great resource. I know I don't have as much schooling/education as I would like, but I figured that I could handle basic obedience and some minor problem behaviors until I can afford classes or seminars, and I know everyone here will try to answer any questions I have.

So, onto little miss Winter! She's... well, she's a little bit of a freak (in the best way, of course). After a very heavy bout of depression and a failed adoption with a BC from a local rescue, I was frustrated and struggling with trying to be a good person and adopt instead of buying a puppy/dog, but never being able to find the right fit. I did receive some criticism from an acquaintance who helps deaf dogs, so I was committed to finding a wonderful and responsible breeder, even if I had to take a road trip! After days of searching, I found two potential breeders. Both had gorgeous pups, but one breeder had "show" type BCs and the other had the "working" style. I chose the latter, and I'm glad I did!

Winter was one of 11 puppies! I really wanted a merle puppy, but I was more concerned with temperament. Since I couldn't drive to KY to pick a puppy, I spoke with the breeder several times and asked her to choose a little girl for me that was outgoing and confident. I was hoping that she would lend some confidence to my other BC who was very, very timid of people and new situations.

In June, we drove to KY to pick up Winter (As soon as I saw the first picture of her, I knew her name). I knew I had to raise this puppy the right way to help her become a well-functioning member of society. We started puppy kindergarten classes at an awesome facility to socialize her and get a start on obedience training. As you would expect of a BC, she's incredibly smart, and was the BESTEST puppy in the class (I'm not biased or anything;)). When she went to the vet, they told me that she was one of the most well-behaved puppies that they have seen and that it's obvious that I do handling exercises with her (yay me!).

We fostered a puppy for the local BC rescue, and Winter was good with him. They were a little bossy to each other, but she handled everything really well and is very accepting of other dogs whether they're in our home or in public. She did have a few vet scares though. She and the other dogs were playing and they were running around one of our outside buildings, and I heard a yelp. I called her and it took her just a little too long for her to come to me. She was limping, so I took her in the house and put her on the couch and made her stay still. I did eventually take her to the vet and they said it was only a soft tissue problem. When we got to the vet, she pretty much immediately stopped limping:cautious:. I knew before that incident that she was whiny, but I was terrified. And then she had to be taken to the vet again when she started projectile vomiting/diarrhea. It was one of the most foul-smelling things I've ever been around in my life. I worked at a vet for a little while and it reminded me so much of the severe pancreatitis I had to deal with... and that dog was euthanized. So, again to the vet we went (two times in a month). I was worried because she had been eating apples when she was with my uncle when he was picking them, and I know apple seeds are toxic to dogs. Turns out, it was something she ate. She got some medication to help with everything and we found out from a fecal sample that she had worms. A few days later, I caught her eating some NASTY looking cat poop. Case solved!

She adores playing with my Cattle Dog mix and is constantly initiating play. Sometimes she does get rough and tends to like to grab Willow's face or back legs and pull pretty hard. I usually don't intervene because Willow has no problem with the way she plays, but if she does get tired of it, she lets Winter know with a grumble and walks away. Winter is still VERY much a puppy at 9 1/2 months old. She does occasionally potty in the house and I'm having quite a bit of trouble with her mouthing and bite inhibition. Overall, she's an amazing puppy and I've learned so much since the last time I had a puppy.

Sorry if everyone didn't want to know her life story, but there it is! I'm absolutely sure that I will be having training questions regarding her, so be ready!

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm not exactly sure why I haven't been on in so long! :confused:
I think we all go through phases once in a while, it's great that your dog training business triggered you to come back.

So, onto little miss Winter! She's... well, she's a little bit of a freak (in the best way, of course). After a very heavy bout of depression and a failed adoption with a BC from a local rescue, I was frustrated and struggling with trying to be a good person and adopt instead of buying a puppy/dog, but never being able to find the right fit.
Once in a while we have to get the dog we need not the dog that needs us.

Sometimes that doesn't fit in with rescue. The people who are really frustrating are those who won't even consider a rescue let alone make a proper attempt at it like you did.

We started puppy kindergarten classes at an awesome facility to socialize her and get a start on obedience training. As you would expect of a BC, she's incredibly smart, and was the BESTEST puppy in the class (I'm not biased or anything;)). When she went to the vet, they told me that she was one of the most well-behaved puppies that they have seen and that it's obvious that I do handling exercises with her (yay me!).
Well done you!
Just as well she was good at the vets, she certainly seems to have had more than her fair share of vet trips already in her short life!

She and the other dogs were playing and they were running around one of our outside buildings, and I heard a yelp. I called her and it took her just a little too long for her to come to me. She was limping, so I took her in the house and put her on the couch and made her stay still. I did eventually take her to the vet and they said it was only a soft tissue problem. When we got to the vet, she pretty much immediately stopped limping:cautious:.
Zac has done that too. Like you I tend to wait a bit before going to the vets with that sort of limp as long as they can still take the weight on the leg, they often stiffen up a bit and look worse before they get better which in some ways is good as it stops them over doing things while they heal up. I don't go to the doctors every time I get a sore leg!

And then she had to be taken to the vet again when she started projectile vomiting/diarrhea. It was one of the most foul-smelling things I've ever been around in my life. I worked at a vet for a little while and it reminded me so much of the severe pancreatitis I had to deal with... and that dog was euthanized.
Scary! Glad the explanation was so simple and it was nothing terrible. We dog owners do have a habit of thinking the worst don't we?

She adores playing with my Cattle Dog mix and is constantly initiating play. Sometimes she does get rough and tends to like to grab Willow's face or back legs and pull pretty hard. I usually don't intervene because Willow has no problem with the way she plays, but if she does get tired of it, she lets Winter know with a grumble and walks away.
Sounds like your cattle dog mix is exactly what Winter needs to teach her manners! (y)

Thanks so much for telling us so much about Winter. Looking forward to more updates and seeing you around on the forums :)