New Puppy

lisa09

Hi I have a chocolate lab puppy, she is 13 weeks and I want her to be well behaved. I am looking for advice and tips on everything especially obedience and possibly tricks.
Thanks

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the Dog Trick Academy. Congratulations on the new puppy, she is one good looking lab! :) Is this your first dog? If it is, then I recommend you start luring your dog to do the basic behaviors. Basically you place a treat in front of your dog's nose, and you move the treat in a certain direction until your dog does the behavior that you want.

So to teach your dog to sit for example, you'd move the treat up and towards his eyes, she'll have no choice but to sit down to follow the treat. :) Then you can mark the behavior of sitting by saying "Yes" or clicking a clicker.

Again, glad to have you join this community. If you need any help, or clarification on dog training terms, please do not hesitate. We're just a few keystrokes away. :)

sara

Staff member
Like I posted on the other new puppy thread, I always recommend that people read 3 books to start with:

"Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor (a clicker training book)

"The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson (A general positive training book)

"The Dog Vinci Code" by John Rogerson (A general very common sense mostly positive training book)

If you're not into reading, then this forum is a great alternative :) Personally, I read constantly, so reading a few training manuals is totally up my alley... though I'm a bit excessive, I have probably 20 or so books on just training and behaviour (with a few forays into evolution, which is fascinating!)

lisa09

Maggie is a stubborn dog,lol. She does however sit, and she rings bells I have on the door to go out and pee. We almost have potty training down, we have minor accidents, mostly upstairs. She sometimes stays and comes. She sleeps in her crate over night all night and the last 3 nights no accidents. She stays in her crate when we go out, but cry's when we leave so I'm not sure how she is when we are gone but she is quiet when I get back, but doesn't really have any other interest in it. Any suggestions on getting her to "go in her bed" I want her to like her crate. We are coming along slowly but surely, we have had her for 2 weeks now.
How do I get her to stop biting/nipping and to stop bringing/chewing shoes or going after my cats?
Also how long should her walks be? When we are walking she does fine then she just stops and sits and even turns her back to us:confused:, then I end up pulling on her and she just pulls back.
And lastly how many commands should I teach her in one session, she usually stays interested 10-15 minutes.
Thanks in advance:)

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Welcome to DTA!!!! First of all get something that Maggie is interested in like a treat, food, game or toy and only use it for training. Like that Maggie will be willing to start because she will know that a special treat is coming!! To stop nipping you you can yelp every time she nips you and not pay attention to her. Dont get frustrated because she is just a puppy!!! Because she is a puppy her walks shouldn't be long. My dog also used to stop on walks so I encouraged her and it stoped when she got older. You can teach her a few commands per training session as long as they are not simmilar. Also have a release word like ``ok`` or ``all done`` meaning she can stand up. Training sessions should be 10-15 min. It sounds like you have a very cute and smart puppy!!!!!!!!!!:)

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME TO DTA!!!!!:LOL: WHAT an ADOOOORABLE puppy yoù`ve got there!!!!:D You have taught her many things already, nice job!!!!:LOL:
Going after your cats.....well.... I have a cat, and let me tell you, usually all you can do is....umm....:ROFLMAO: You can try to get her interested in something else (treat, toy).....or.... Just move the cat to the basement, LOL!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
To teach Maggie to get in her crate, you can put a treat in there, and say your command and voila!!! Well, it may not be that easy. Or you can just lure her in. This may not be the best advice....lol. O_o:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!!!!

//Any suggestions on getting her to "go in her bed"//

ONLY the first few moments of this quickie video are for you, the rest of it is pretty advanced:
GO TO YOUR MAT:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Getting your dog to like his crate: (swap out word crate, for word "purse")

only 5 minute longs, ALL THESE VIDEOS ARE ONLY 5 MINUTES EACH.