My Puppy Is Afraid Of Hard Wood Floors!

My puppy, Jessie (10 month old), was never afraid of hard wood floors until 2 weeks ago. I guess she slipped on the floor and now she won't go on it. My house is basically all hard wood except a few rugs. She'll go on the hardwood to get to rug to rug but that's it. if she's really hungry she'll have her back paws right near the rug and stretch for her food and then she'll back up again to the rug. How can I get her over her fear? is there some kind of clicker training I could do?
and uhm... where would I get the clicker?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Your dog is not alone in this fear,
and your dog is pretty darn clever to have figured out what makes him slip.

I would indeed, get SEVERAL throw rugs to put around. My dog does Victory Laps around the house whenever someone comes home,:rolleyes:
and always slid into this one item on this one corner, so i put a rug there. Problem solved.
Also one can buy special matting to place under rugs that slip around.

Hope this video can help you help your dog,
let us know how it is going. GOOD LUCK.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
and clickers are sold online, as well as any pet supply store.

Get 2 or 3 of the clicker, in case you lose it.
They cost from $1 to almost $10, but i get the $1 kind. It is recommended, if you get a really really loud clicker, that you do NOT hold it too too close to your dog's head, or, put a bit of putty on it, to soften the noise to a more tolerable level.

some ppl say their dog dislikes too loud of a click, and their dogs do better with a fairly loud ink pen instead.

Every click, gets a reward.
NO exceptions.
One click for each correct move, OR for attempts in the right direction,
but sometimes,
for super awesome "breakthough" moves, some of us give several treats in a row, for the one click, while praising the dog the whole time.
Some ppl call that "a jackpot" moment, when the dog has big accomlishment moment, some of us try to make that increased performance or understanding from the dog, really worth it and extra great reward.

Most of us use food treats for rewards, but a reward can by ANYTHING your dog loves, like tugging on a toy, etc. I use super tiny treats, to avoid a full or fat dog.

Most of us do not say "no", and just ignore all wrong moves, silently ignore them. Just zero response to a wrong move, no scolding at all.

It's important for some dogs NEW to lessons, to probably keep all lessons SHORT in duration, like even 5 or 10 minutes is plenty long for new student, cuz you want to stop before the dog zones out. Over time, you can add extra minutes to lessons, while dog builds up his ability to pay attention longer.
You can repeat a lesson a few times a day, but keep each lesson short if your dog is zoning out.

When clicking, your goal is to click DURING the move you want, or at tail end of the move you want. Doing this well can take a lil bit of practice.

Here is more on clicker training:

http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/blog/category/general

there are many great BLOGS in the BLOGS section of this site which might be helpful to you to look over. GOOD LUCK, and don't be shy to post questions!!!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
A good clicker if your dog is afraid of loud noises or just scared easily by things is the Click-R. The purple one with green. It has many complaints that it's very soft, but I like that one, because it's less annoying than normal clickers. The dog hears it just fine. Most clickers can be bought through Amazon, too. It's like 2 or 3 dollars.

And that fear is actually really common :p. Good luck!