My Gordykins <3

Gordykins

Experienced Member
I've been reading all of these doggy intros for awhile, but haven't posted Gordy's story yet.

I just love him. He's my partner in crime. I honestly just can't believe that he hasn't been here for my whole life... it feels like we've known each other for a lifetime. He is my heart. He's my everything. I couldn't dream of a better boy. He is it. Everybody should feel for at least once in their life the way I feel every time my sweet boy looks in my eyes. I love him so much.

Somebody showed me an ad on craigslist. A family was looking to rehome an "11 month old" yellow lab. It said he would be good in any home, and they weren't able to spend enough time with him. It showed this picture:

I told the person who showed me the ad that we were interested in another lab, and that we didn't know that we wanted a male, we preferred black to yellow, and we wanted to go through a rescue or shelter. Regardless, I couldn't stop thinking about that ad. I kept checking on it. I sent a text to my boyfriend asking what he thought about just asking about the yellow lab. He didn't respond, so I sent another text saying that I knew he wasn't what we were looking for, but why not just look.. we probably wouldn't come home with him, but he was so close by, that why not? No response.

My bf came home from work that evening, and said "So, I guess you're waiting to ask me about this yellow lab? Give me the number, I'll call them." So, he did.

We went and met Gordy. He was a wild child. He jumped on us, mouthed us, grabbed our shoe laces and tugged on them. He ran around the house wildly. Jumped on furniture, knocked things over. I wanted him. I was not leaving without him. I loved him instantly regardless of his out of control behavior. He was my boy from the moment I laid eyes on him.

We brought him home. I worried that he would miss his old home, but he fit right in, and never seemed sad. Not for a moment actually... Gordy is the perpetually happy dog. :love: We took him to Petco on the way home. He drug me straight to the back of the store where the food was. :eek:

The family from craigslist had bought Gordy from a pet shop. We went to see what info they could give us. Gordy was sold at a younger age than he should have been away from his mother at from the documents that the employee at the store let us look at, and he was actually 9 months old according to the birthday on the paperwork, not 11 months old like the craigslist ad said. His birthday is only 2 days before mine.

We started walking him twice a day, every day. He was such a puller. We taught him sit, and down. The pulling just wouldn't stop. We signed up for private obedience class where he got to have all of his lessons at various pet friendly places, and he made me proud! He caught on so quickly. :D We followed up with intermediate obedience class, and again, I was proud :) Most recently we started rally obedience classes, and we are having a blast!!! :D(y) In March, Gordy passed the AKC canine good citizen test! I was so proud of him. He was much better in the testing than I was, that's for sure. I was nervous! But he helped me calm down as he did such a great job.

See why it feels like we've spent a lifetime together... I could type and type all day about Gordy... I couldn't even create this thread without deleting stuff!
For obedience, Gordy knows:

Sit
Down
Stand
Stay
Come
Easy (to not pull on leash)
Leave it
Drop it
Heel (either to walk in a heel incl. changing pace or direction, or come to the heel position from wherever he is)
Around right
Finish right
Around left
Finish left
360° turn right (still working on left 360)
Place
Crate

For tricks, Gordy knows:

Got an itch?
Circles (completely around me)
Spin
Twirl
Handsome (sit pretty... but sit pretty sounded like a "girl" trick to me, and I also let him use my arm when we do this one, but it isn't often since I found out about his hip dysplasia)
Say prayers
Take a bow
Peek-a-boo
Can-can kicks
Figure 8 through legs

Walking under my legs while I walk
Gimme 5

Gimme 10
Shake (his whole body... like shaking off water, not shake paw)

Roll over
Crawl
Give hugs
Group hugs
Give kisses

Gordy's first day at our house; he officially made our house a home :)

Gordy loves to watch the dog shows!

My dream boy:

Silly!

My beautiful boy

Gordy and our first foster, Tippett

Water dog!

[URL=http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/KSG34ever/media/Sum%20Sum%20Summer%20Time/DSC_0489.jpg.html]
[URL=http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/KSG34ever/media/Sum%20Sum%20Summer%20Time/DSC_0476.jpg.html]

Beach Boy!

An agility course was set up at an event we went to, and they let us walk through:

My leave it king!

Too many pictures as much as too long of a story I guess... but he is just my world. I could show him off forever. I'm very proud of him, and even more smitten :love: I love him to pieces.

Thanks so much for taking the time to catch a glimpse of my sweet Gordy! [/URL][/URL]

brody_smom

Experienced Member
What a beautiful boy! I love happy endings. Not that your story has an ending, more like a happy "to be continued.." I think that is what we all hope for when we rescue a dog.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Thanks guys!

southerngirl... Gordy absolutely loves the water, so I'm always trying to take a lot of pictures when he swims just to remember it! I don't even get half as many as I want to though... especially not at the dog beach because it's so much fun to swim with him that my camera gets left in the beach bag most of the time!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks guys!

southerngirl... Gordy absolutely loves the water, so I'm always trying to take a lot of pictures when he swims just to remember it! I don't even get half as many as I want to though... especially not at the dog beach because it's so much fun to swim with him that my camera gets left in the beach bag most of the time!
You should look into getting a water proof camera. I have one so I can record and take pics of Missy. Mine was about $200is it takes decent pics and videos.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
You should look into getting a water proof camera. I have one so I can record and take pics of Missy. Mine was about $200is it takes decent pics and videos.
My boyfriend is wanting to get me a new camera, because he knows how much I love to take pictures of Gordy and all of the foster dogs, he did ask me if I'd want a waterproof camera or not... so I told him that I would absolutely LOVE to have one. He's been in and out of work though lately, so it's taking longer than he thought it would, and the camera is slipping lower and lower on the list of priorities :(

southerngirl

Honored Member
My boyfriend is wanting to get me a new camera, because he knows how much I love to take pictures of Gordy and all of the foster dogs, he did ask me if I'd want a waterproof camera or not... so I told him that I would absolutely LOVE to have one. He's been in and out of work though lately, so it's taking longer than he thought it would, and the camera is slipping lower and lower on the list of priorities :(
That sucks. :(

MaryK

Honored Member
What a wonderful story and I just love, love, love it when people are so in love with their dogs!!!!!!!:love::love::love: I know just how you feel, my boys are the loves of my life too! Why not start a diary/journal about Gordy? That's what I do with my boys. Then you never forget all the wonderful memories. I sure hope you and Gordy have a very long and extremely happy life together.

Adore the pics and LOL well Gordy is a Lab and they love water! Tip - keep him well away from any stinky water, nothing like walking back with a Lab who's just found a wonderful pool of stinking water - been there done that - and he wasn't even my dog so a 'clean up' was required before taking him home to his doting Mom!:rolleyes::LOL:

MaryK

Honored Member
:LOL: Gordy looks just like one of my boys, Ra Kismet, he too loves to wallow in mud, happy as a hippo then trots inside covered in mud, with mud in places no dog should ever have mud, and proceeds to make everything he touches muddy! Gotta love the water babies:love: