My First "how To" Video (bow)

lAURAM

Great tutorial:) What's the normal way to do it without a target stick? Is it gradually luring them down with a treat whilst holding their back end up? (If they don't have a problem with this?)

Laura

Dogster

Honored Member
Yeah.:) You don't even have to hold their back end, sometimes they just offer the behaviour. You can also "capture" the behaviour when your dog stretches.

KatieMarie

Great tutorial:) What's the normal way to do it without a target stick? Is it gradually luring them down with a treat whilst holding their back end up? (If they don't have a problem with this?)

Laura
That's the "traditional" way, but my dog didn't respond to that at all. Her bow's were down's. So what I did was capture it..only took a couple times and her bow is awesome now!

MaryK

Honored Member
Great vid thank you(y):) Ra Kismet will bow, when he's got a wrecked soccer ball in his mouth, wondering if I can 'capture' this? Should I ask for 'leave' and trust he remains in the bow position or what? If this doesn't work, will use a target stick, as he's not too keen on being physically held or manipulated either.

Dogster

Honored Member
I don't know if he'll still offer a bow when he doesn't play soccer, unless he play bows without the soccer ball too...:) You could still capture the behaviour, whenever he bows, you'll have your clicker and treats handy...(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
I am thinking the same thing Dogster (great minds think alike don't they:D). He does only play bow when with his soccer ball. Although on play dates he's played bowed, to invite a very elderly, sedate black lab to join in the fun he was having with a dashing young lady Lab.:D.

Have the clicker handy whenever we're training and with Ra Kismet that also means 'break for fun time' and did start to click/treat but LOL he's so involved with his soccer ball, treats don't seem to register:rolleyes: Neither does the cue 'bow':rolleyes:

Will try a few more times and if it doesn't work, will train as per the vid, as I know Rakins doesn't always like being physically manipulated, he's too 'independent' for that, likes to 'do it himself':D

I don't think it will take him long, once he understands what I want, as his 'natural ' play bow is very pronounced:)

sara

Staff member
I cant capture behaviour for the life of me. I'm not good at it, and my dogs do not understand that I want them to repeat the behaviour... so I dont even try anymore... which is why I taught Ollie and Mouse to bow the way I showed in the video LOL

MaryK

Honored Member
I've managed just one capture Sara, his stand on hind legs, which extended to walk, turn on hind legs but only because he did it so naturally, no distractions like soccer balls and the attraction of treats:D That was before I started using click/treat, which has made training so much easier(y)

Other than that I've not managed to capture any thing else:rolleyes: Don't feel too badly now, knowing you can't capture either. LOL thought I was the only one, not so lonely now:D

The vid is fabulous, I'm going to use that for bow, so cute too:D:love:

huntyr

me either, I cannot capture... heck he is stubborn enough in a training session.
I can only imagine him trying to understand trying to capture a behaviour LOL

MaryK

Honored Member
me either, I cannot capture... heck he is stubborn enough in a training session.
I can only imagine him trying to understand trying to capture a behaviour LOL
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Another one who cannot capture, we should form a 'club'!

fickla

Experienced Member
That's great! I think you stumbled on a key point in teaching the bow: rewarding up "high" to interrupt the dog from actually lying down. The target stick really makes that point obvious to the dog, but even if luring I make a point of clicking the bow and then quickly bringing the treat back up so the dog stands to eat :) Nice job!

sara

Staff member
That's great! I think you stumbled on a key point in teaching the bow: rewarding up "high" to interrupt the dog from actually lying down. The target stick really makes that point obvious to the dog, but even if luring I make a point of clicking the bow and then quickly bringing the treat back up so the dog stands to eat :) Nice job!
On another forum, someone (who clicker trainsO_o) was advising that the dog get fed in the bow position to get them to hold it longer... I was like no way! The click signals the end of the trick, the treat comes after the click... hello:rolleyes: Which is why I put that specifically in the video. You want the dog to hold the position longer, just wait to click...

But of course they argued. So I did this video LOL

Great job Sara!! (y)
Thank you very much!