My Dog Was Spayed And There Is A Knot Near Her Incision

kimw30

My dog Prissy was spayed and I was wondering if anybody else dog was spayed and if this is normal or should I take her to the vet, I have just noticed that Prissy has knot near her incision, you can see it and feel it, I was wondering if that is normal or if I should take her to the vet. She was spayed at the end of September.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Is the knot still under the skin? If there is anything poking out, I'd take her to the vet as any visible suture material should probably be snipped by the vet. If you can feel it underneath the skin and the incision site is already healed and looking good, that's not too unusual as there is a line of stitches underneath the skin. If you think there is swelling, redness, seepage, etc. around the site, take her to the vet.

Hope this helps.

MaryK

Honored Member
Is the skin around the knot hard? Is it like a spot? Any weeping/redness? As A & C has said, if any of these things are evident, don't hesitate to take Prissy to the vets.

My late dog Tiger Lily had a 'spot/knot' which refused to go away, after being spayed, a trip to the vet (different one I didn't like the other one) revealed that the previous vet had made a very bad mistake with the internal sutures.

kimw30

Is the skin around the knot hard? Is it like a spot? Any weeping/redness? As A & C has said, if any of these things are evident, don't hesitate to take Prissy to the vets.

My late dog Tiger Lily had a 'spot/knot' which refused to go away, after being spayed, a trip to the vet (different one I didn't like the other one) revealed that the previous vet had made a very bad mistake with the internal sutures.
Thanks for the information, I called the vet because the knot on Prissy kept getting bigger and it started getting really red and she was messing with it, so he told me to bring her in today and he said it was a abscess so he had to drain it.

kimw30

Is the knot still under the skin? If there is anything poking out, I'd take her to the vet as any visible suture material should probably be snipped by the vet. If you can feel it underneath the skin and the incision site is already healed and looking good, that's not too unusual as there is a line of stitches underneath the skin. If you think there is swelling, redness, seepage, etc. around the site, take her to the vet.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help, I called the vet today because the knot kept getting bigger on Prissy and it started getting really red so he told me to bring her in and he said it was a abscess and he had to drain it.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for the help, I called the vet today because the knot kept getting bigger on Prissy and it started getting really red so he told me to bring her in and he said it was a abscess and he had to drain it.
Ouch! Poor Prissy. So glad you're going to the vet, abscess are nasty and quite painful. But once he drains it, she should be fine and the pain will go.

Keep us posted please and let us know Prissy is back to her old self again.:)