My Chocolate Lab Puppy

OU4life

Hello I'm Matt in Arlington Texas... I have a 14 week old Chocolate Lab female puppy named Boomer that I got from a friend at 11 weeks who couldn't keep her ... I am originally from Oklahoma and a huge OU Sooner fan as you can see... I am currently trying to train Boomer... She's pretty well potty trained I haven't caught her peeing on the rug in over a week... My problem is her loud barking, nipping, jumping on me and constantly following me everywhere.. I read some of the responses on here on the nipping and I am yelping when she bites and ignoring her for a few minutes... My question is how long does it take for her to stop the biting? And the barking what is all that about lol? It has been quite a long time since I raised a puppy and she tests my patience on a regular basis.. I work all day and sometimes I'm able to come home for lunch and let her out and play with her for 30 minutes, but there are days when she's in her crate for 10 hours.. She has not peed one time in her crate and I'm pretty sure that is amazing.. When I get home she is a ball of energy and I play with her in the backyard fetch and tug o war.. Then she eats and we play some more then go on a 30 minute walk... She was sleeping with me because her original owner let her sleep with him.. I have in the last week started making her sleep in her crate as she was very restless in bed... I understand she is a puppy and full of energy any advice would be greatly appreciated.... Oh and she almost never comes when I call her name... When I walk her I keep her on a short leash even with or behind me as per training rules, but she is trying to pull away the entire time.. Am I in for a long haul or will she get it eventually.. I have read that once you get the walking down everything else falls in place... Help!! I love my puppy...

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome.

I read some of the responses on here on the nipping and I am yelping when she bites and ignoring her for a few minutes... My question is how long does it take for her to stop the biting?
Something else that could help is redirecting her with a toy, leave the room, become a tree. Use which ever one works best for your pup. How long it takes for a puppy to stop biting is different for every pup some may catch on sooner than others.
And the barking what is all that about lol?
When is she barking?(when your not paying attention to her, in the crate, at bedtime?)
jumping on me and constantly following me everywhere
Does she know sit? If so when she jumps on you tell her sit, then pet her. That way she realizes that if she wants attention she needs to have all four paws on the ground. Another option is ignore the jumping when she stops reward her with a treat and/or pet. Some dogs want to be with you all the time others are content with being by themselves, yours is one that wants to be with you. Personally I don't find it a bad thing, my dog Missy follows me every where and I don't mind in fact I like it even though a trip over her sometimes.
Oh and she almost never comes when I call her name...
Have you taught her her name? Also I suggest you teach her recall to get her to come. To teach this look at the second post on this thread http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/how-long-does-it-take-reliable-recall-training.4290/
When I walk her I keep her on a short leash even with or behind me as per training rules, but she is trying to pull away the entire time..
First off I don't think a dog should have to walk right beside you. I let my dog walk a little bit in front of me on a loose leash of course. It's a more enjoyable walk for the dog if they don't have to stay plastered to your side or behind you. To teach her not to pull first I would invest in a harness(collars can damage her throat). How I taught my dog was I stopped when she pulled and called her back to me than started walking again(repeat this every time she pulls.) or you can become a tree, she pulls you stop and wait for her to stop straining against the leash.
Sorry for such a long post. I hope this is helpful.

MaryK

Honored Member
Excellent post Southerngirl!:)(y) Nothing much to add, you've covered all bases really well.

Just a little more on the walking.

You're right, a dog right at your side or behind is 'old school' training. Both my boys know 'close heel' work but on their walk I let them walk ahead, sniff (if it's nothing too disgusting like dead birds etc. remains of KFC, that's guaranteed to give the strongest pup tum ache) and generally 'take in the world around them'. What I have also found effective with a puller, is to hold a treat in a closed hand, ask for walk and then reward click/treat after say one/two paces at first, then increase the distance. Keep the lead loose though and at the same time I use the cue 'loose lead'. Now if one of them gets a bit too far head, not pulling but walking faster than I want to, I just say 'loose lead' and they slacken their pace.

Matt do you use a clicker with Boomer? If you don't then I strongly suggest you get one. They're cheap as chips and the best piece of training equipment you'll ever buy! They work like magic!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi Matt and welcome. You've gotten some good feedback/info so far, just wanted to add a few thoughts. First, congrats on your new little family member! So glad you could take her in, and she's going to be a delight in your life.

As I was reading, I kept thinking ... she's just being a puppy. Keep in mind, she's had a HUGE upheaval in her little life. As it is, she's a baby dog and was trying to figure things in a human world. Now she's left that world, and is in a whole new world (yours) starting over yet again. It sounds easy for us, but for them, it's huge. Dogs are masters of our body language, and literally spend their waking hours studying us. They are incredible creatures (if only more people realized that!) who watch our every move, they know when we're leaving for work, what picking up our keys mean, what putting on certain shoes mean, what putting down that coffee cup means, what putting on that certain sweatshirt or jacket mean, what the leash means, what turning on (or off) the tv means, and on and on and on... On top of that, he's learning how to live in a human world right now (cuz he's only a a baby) - most adult dogs would have all that part down. He's gotta figure out the part about us not liking the nipping so much :confused:, how to tell you things so you understand (the barking), where and when he's supposed to potty, how to walk on that dumb leash (no leashes in a dog's world), and all kinds of human stuff. And that rule about "when they learn to walk on a leash, the rest falls into place" - toss that one out, along with dogs walking beside or behind you. More on that in a minute. Anyway - give your girl some time, and carry ALL your patience with you at all times. You're gonna need it ALL for a while. :ROFLMAO:

As to her staying in her crate for 10 hours while you work - 10 hours is a LONG time for any dog, but for a 4 month old puppy, it's an ETERNITY. Is there any possibility you could have a dog-walker come and let her out for potty and play time a couple times during the day? First, she shouldn't be asked to hold it that long - whether or not she can. It's too long for a puppy to have to. And to ask a 4 month old puppy to stay 10 hours in a crate is almost like a punishment, it's just too long. It's meaning she's basically out only a few hours a day - she's out a few hours, then it's bedtime, back in the crate again. Please, if there's any way you can have someone come during the day and give her a break, please do it. It will also be healthier for her physically to get out and stretch those growing legs and exercise, run, walk a bit during the day.

As far as her walks with you go, keep in mind that dogs explore the world with their noses (way more than their eyes). Please let her do some following that nose when she's out, and not just keep her walking right next to or behind you. Absolutely, they need to learn not to drag you down the street like Marmaduke. I have Germ Sheps and I totally understand, one can't be flying behind their dogs helter skelter. There are several threads on loose leash walking, please look them up and read them - there is loads of info. An "Easy-Walk Harness" might also help in the meantime until she learns her leash manners. LLW (loose leash walking) takes a while to learn, but she will. Please do give her "sniff time" tho - as that's how she learns all about the world 'out there'.

As to her following you all around .... Labs are stereotypically very much "people dogs". I have Sheppies, they are too (as are Goldens, and a few other breeds). Yes, many will follow you everywhere, just cuz they want to be with you, want to watch you, want to see what you're doing....and hey, it might just involve them, they sure don't want to miss out on any fun! :LOL: She may finally settle down and relax a bit, or she may follow you around her whole life. I had one who basically followed me her entire life until around 11 yrs old, when it got too hard cuz of arthritis to keep getting up, so she finally decided I could walk to a different room without her. Whew! Get used to it - you may have not only acquired a dog, but one additional shadow. :D And if that's the case, I bet she's gonna be one incredible "daddy's girl". :love:

As to her coming when called - it's something they must learn, and be worth their while. There are lots af threads on recall. Look those up, again, there is a ton of info, and several of those threads are new and ongoing. Just a hint: call her to you when she's really close by (literally a couple feet away, and looking at you) and when you KNOW she'll come, and when she arrives, treat with something fabulous (a piece of chicken, hot dog, etc). And practice that a zillion times a day. Set her up for success, she's young (think baby, toddler) - keep calling her when she's only a few feet away and looking at you, then give her a delectable treat. She'll start coming more and more often, and from farther away - and practice from different areas (the kitchen, the living room, the bedroom, the yard, etc). Practice makes perfect - and keep those rewards coming!

As for her barking .... Southerngirl asked a good question ... when is she barking, and what's she barking at? Is she looking at you and barking? Or ?? Tell us more info and we can perhaps give you some suggestions.

Overall, you're going to have a blast - just keep your patience handy, puppies are wonderful, they just require patience, and they grow up so fast. They're so fun tho!!! There are loads of people on here who can lend so much insight and help, please just ask. And more pics, please!!!

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Welcome to DTA!!! Sounds like Boomer is acting like a puppy!
To stop jumping up:
Because she follows you around you can use that to teach her to come. When she follows you say come and then play tug or give her a treat and act all excited.
To teach your dog to walk on a leash you have to remember that a tight leash actually teaches your dog to pull. Here is an example of how to teach your dog loose leash walking.

I think its a good idea to have your dog sleep in a crate for a few months until she actually learns the rules. Finally you have to be patient and I hope you wont give up and you will learn more about positive reinforcement.