My Best Friend And Oldest Boy Griffon

passion4pups

I like to think Griffon became part of my family through a twist of fate. I was newly divorced, had lost my beloved Dalmatian months prior and was ready to adopt. Through online avenues I had found a Spinone rescue and was approved to adopt a Spinone in WA that needed FHO surgery. Expensive and extensive, but being employed at a vet clinic who could do the surgery it was feasible for me. During all the correspondence a picture was never provided. Finally the night before I was to leave for my 23 hour drive I finally received a picture . . . This was not the dog I had intended to adopt , it wasn't even the right breed, so feeling bad I gave the rescue a hefty donation towards the medical bills but backed out of the adoption. the next morning I went in to put myself back on the schedule and in the animal control section was a fluffy ball of fuzz . . he was found in a dumpster (the big green square kind with two doors on top) and I immediately called my friend at AC and told her I was taking him home for his 10 hold . . she agreed!!
He never left, no one ever claimed him and he has been part of my family ever since. He is a protector, but not over the top, he is smarter than a whip and learns new tricks with ease. He received his CGC in 2007, and still to this day comes running at the ready on his mark ready to do tricks. He knows all the basics, sit, come, stay, heel, can fetch certain objects if I ask. His recall is awesome, he loves to swim, chase squirrels and was the champion rabbit hunter in the neighborhood until he taught his little sister Lu how.
Now being a large dog . . 115 lbs . . at 11 years he is starting to slow. His spine is nearly fused from a condition called Spondylosis - bone condition in which the vertebrae of your dog's spine grow bone spurs and eventually become fused together. He is riddled with arthritis , but he is still showing every sign that he is still living life to the fullest. Here are a few pictures of my boy.

Attachments

MaryK

Honored Member
He's gorgeous I'm in love!:love: He's got such a wise face, can understand why he never left your home.

I agree Kassidy, it is sad when you cannot even trust a rescue.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I just googled spinone as I hadn't heard of them before. They sound like an amazing breed, and very friendly looking. Have you owned one before?

Gordykins

Experienced Member
He looks like such a happy happy guy!! I hope that if that Spinone rescue is around, they have been a little more open and honest with potential adopters. They should want an adopter to know exactly what kind of a dog they are getting... how else would everyone involved know that they are setting up the right type of situation. Sounds a little off! It was so nice of you to still give a donation for that rescue pup's care though!