Mud's Self-Taught Attention Getter

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
One of Mud's favorite activities is playing. One of her toys is a set of three connecting rings, made of very durable rubber. She tosses her toys to you, rather than dropping them. So when she's bored and wants to play, she'll toss them at you and wait expectantly. If you ignore her the first time, she'll whine and nudge it with her nose, then watch you again. The cycle goes on, and then she'll toss it a few more times before deciding to play by herself. It's rather amusing. ^^
Today has been a rather crummy day, and Mud didn't want me to stay in it apparently. So while I sat working away on some papers on my laptop, she was insisting on play. I had my feet on the footstool, and when she decided she wasn't taking no for an answer, she carefully placed the end ring over my toes. xD The three rings dangled there, and she just waited for me like, "Come oooonnnn, I'm trying so hard!!" Lol. Now, the last several times she's retrieved the rings and I haven't thrown it within a minute or so, she'll put it back on my foot. Lol.
Silly Mudflap...I must admit though, she does think outside the box! :doglaugh:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL. I get the same thing with my Border Collie - I'll be watching TV and all of a sudden I realize that there are three toys on the sofa beside me and a dog starring at me. :) Priceless

l_l_a

That is sooo funny!! Has Mud ever hit anyone with the toys? :) I can just see that will be the next thing she figures out - "well if Mom still ignores me when I toss my toys over to her, I'll bet I can get reaction if the toys hit her in the head!"

We have that toy that the three interconnecting rings too - we play tug with it. I can just imagine you sitting there trying to work on your computer, and then suddenly you've got toe rings....! :doglaugh:

(my dog will come over and set his toys on top of you too, and then just walk away...)

storm22

Experienced Member
luka throws his toys at you too sometimes he will hit ya in the head (he'll actually jump on the couch next to you to hit ya)

if you ignore storm when he wants to play, he'll slobber up his toy usually a bal and drop it on your lap or sometimes (more often than not) he'll chew down on the ball as its resting on your lap so your pants are covered in slobber that dries

its a constant reminder all day that he loves you

l_l_a

haha! yeah it's almost like they know that slobber and drool is one way to get your attention!!

yoyopoodle

Great stories! :D

Harmony also throws her toys, but so far only to play with herself. The other day her bone landed in a deep water bowl and she 'forgot' it was full... wet Poodle head!

Charlie usually brings them over and squeaks them in my lap. He'll try to get it in my hand if possible, but he's been known to put things in my pockets, bag, or even hood that's fallen back :D

zcoonhound

Z is the same way. If you ignore her, she will find a way to get your attention! She uses slobber, drool, and if really insistant, the dreaded TOSS. I have learned that when watching TV to always keep a watchful eye on her too so that I can "catch" the toss if it comes my way! LOL

l_l_a

isn't it funny that the dogs have their heirachy of behaviors: "first I'll try staring at Mom or Dad...hmmm, not working, OK now I'll try slobbering on them....usually it works but this time it's not....OK now I'll try setting my toys on them....boy they sure are being stubborn today! Ok you leave me with no choice but to throw my toys at you, get ready!!"

bunnyboo

Oh, the dreaded "toss"! Link is incredibly good at it. He'll toss things (mostly his rope, but his ball and kong too) onto the counter, on chairs and tables, into baskets, you name it. He often manages to throw his rope up onto his back. The first time, I'm sure it was an accident, but it gets him attention so now he keeps doing it!
He likes to throw his toy next to something he's not allowed to play with, like my shoes or the throw pillows. That way he can "accidentally" grab the wrong item and chew it to bits. It tricked me once or twice . . . but now I keep a close eye on him when he plays the "toss" game!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, Mud's never been one to just drop things. She's always tossed them...but she's never hit anyone with them. She taught herself to aim and will toss them right by your feet. ^^ I don't think I've ever been hit by flying toys. I don't think she realizes that she can retrieve the toy by just releasing it from her jaws, lol! But that's alright...I like the toss. It's cute. :)

heidib860

OMG lol's,

I was sitting here catching up because I haven't been here for a couple days and Max jumps up on my lap holding his three ring toy.

tanis60617

Experienced Member
My dog loves to slober a his rubber ball to the point its dripping and drop it in your lap and then nudge you until you throw it. But his best and most painful is his heavy rope ball. He waits till your barefoot and drops on you toes. My wife currently has an ingrown toenail and you can bet he always manages to drop the ball on that foot.