Mouse Has Discovered Another Allergy

sara

Staff member
Yes, SHE discovered it... NOT ME! Dont ask, just suffice it to say, Mouse has caused my place to stink like vinegar...

and she now has HIVES all over!

If it's not one thing, it's another! I wonder how much hair she'll lose from THIS one!

So now that's metal (stainless steel is included in this) and Vinegar... Can Mouse get any weirder??? Even her allergies are weird!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
awww, so now, Mouse is allergic to metal,is that right?

How in the world were you able to even figure out that one?! :eek: Wow, kudos on the detective work, Sara!
awwww, poor lil baby, hope she recovers quickly!!

so you are putting vinegar on her hives, is that right?

sara

Staff member
Yes, real hives, she's scratching like crazy, I've had her in the bath now twice, hoping to cool it down a bit.

I've known of Mouse's allergy to metal for a couple of years now, which is why I haven't spayed her yet. She is allergic to Stainless as well. She gets blisters/hives inside her mouth if she drinks from stainless water dishes, she cannot eat canned foods, cannot wear a collar or a leash with a clip. I've made her a leash out of a rope slip lead and an old collar I cut up, and sewed together to make a collar/leash combo that doesn't choke her.

Mouse tripped me and I dumped a good portion of a full bottle of vinegar when I was cleaning this morning... it got all over her and within a few minutes she started breaking out.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Oh that's terrible (the metal allergy). I wouldn't wait on her spay, though -- do you have a vet you can work with, who can work out a plan for Mouse? You can try out oral Benadryl at home, and if that shows any efficacy she can get Benadryl and maybe steroids before the surgery. If your vet thinks it might help, s/he can consult with Dr. Nancy Brock, a very well respected anesthesiologist in Canada, to work out a preventative anesthesia plan. What you don't want is for her to develop a pyometra and then need emergency surgery when she's already ill and the urgency of the surgery doesn't allow proper planning.

Has Benedryl ever helped her -- with the vinegar today, or anything else? Have you tried other anti-histamines if not?

Poor Mouse!:(

sara

Staff member
My vet and I have talked seriously about it. He's worried about infection and spaying isn't the "amazing health benefit" that most people believe it is. Yes, pyo is a concern, however he's not too concerned at this point. He and I are happy to wait. I will not risk her for an unnecessary surgery. He has a plan if it comes to an emergency surgery, and has discussed what early signs and symptoms to look for as far as pyo.

No I've never used benedryl. she's only had hives a few times, and baths have always helped. I dont like giving meds that are unnecessary, and Benedryl makes them groggy. I just manage her environment carefully.

this vinegar thing just shocked me. What a weird thing to be allergic to!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh i had no idea, that poor baby!

wow, you sure do have to be so careful over Mouse, don't you!! so Sara, you have to keep an eye out for any metal on your floor, to prevent Mouse from accidentally touching it? wow..

Yeah, i'm sending internet hugs over to Mouse, too. And for you, too, Sara, poor lil Mouse...
Lol, i'm so dumb, :ROFLMAO: i thought you were putting vingar ON her hives, and now, i realize Mouse got hives FROM the vinegar.:notworthy:

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Sorry you are going through all of this with Mouse!!

I too have an allergy dog so I can totally empathize!! Mine actually has her own dermatologist and gets allergy shots every 20 days.

I was just going to throw out that not all dog's get groggy with benadryl. Veronica has seen more than her fair share of benadryl; it does help her hives but she doesn't even get so much as drowsy. Guess like most things, it's very much individualized to the dog.

sara

Staff member
Sorry you are going through all of this with Mouse!!

I too have an allergy dog so I can totally empathize!! Mine actually has her own dermatologist and gets allergy shots every 20 days.

I was just going to throw out that not all dog's get groggy with benadryl. Veronica has seen more than her fair share of benadryl; it does help her hives but she doesn't even get so much as drowsy. Guess like most things, it's very much individualized to the dog.
.Benadryl knocks my sister out :) And I know people who use benedryl to help their dogs night terrors, and to calm them down on long trips, So I have no interest in using it with Mouse :) She doesn't need it anyway, she's easy enough to throw in the tub to calm down her hives, and she doesn't get them that often :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
ahhh poor thing, hope she'll be better soon.
I have to say those are the strangest allergies I have ever heard off O_o ,
luckily you now know what caused the symptoms!