Missy And I Doing Obedience

southerngirl

Honored Member
You've done a great job teaching Missy come and "leave it". It looks like she is close to being ready to be allowed off leash in your back yard. There is this game that I just found that I'm going to use for my Missy's reactivity that you might be able to apply to your Missy's getting ready to be off-leash training. The game could help you get your Missy's attention when there is a distraction around, such as squirrels or cars. Here's a video for it.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
That's actually at the local school yard, not in my backyard. She's totally different in my backyard. :) And her recall is not perfectly reliable yet... as I reward her almost 100% of the time when she comes back, where as I should be rewarding her every 10 - 15 times eventually, to get her used to not being fed treats all the time. :)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
You've done a great job teaching Missy come and "leave it". It looks like she is close to being ready to be allowed off leash in your back yard. There is this game that I just found that I'm going to use for my Missy's reactivity that you might be able to apply to your Missy's getting ready to be off-leash training. The game could help you get your Missy's attention when there is a distraction around, such as squirrels or cars. Here's a video for it.

@southerngirl: On my walks down our street I tell my Missy 'leave it' when a car comes and she does, quite often... but it's more when a car is coming towards us that she reacts - or at the park. It's like I need to teach her 'let's go' with a treat in front of her nose when cars are coming in our direction to start with, just like when I first taught her what 'let's go' meant when she was 8 months old.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Try the game out and see if it works. Make sure you follow the steps on the video. I really think it could help, if it's not working after let's say a month(cause it does take time to for the dog to get it) go back to the drawing bored. But if you think that "let's go" will work better than the game than do that.

Dlilly

Honored Member
@southerngirl: On my walks down our street I tell my Missy 'leave it' when a car comes and she does, quite often... but it's more when a car is coming towards us that she reacts - or at the park. It's like I need to teach her 'let's go' with a treat in front of her nose when cars are coming in our direction to start with, just like when I first taught her what 'let's go' meant when she was 8 months old.
Rory will randomly lunge at passing cars. Some days he does, some days he doesn't, it's odd. What helped him, one of my past foster Beagles, and Shiloh was to have him sit and watch me while the car passes, I wait for it to go out of site. After a while Shiloh would sit when she saw a car!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
@Dlilly: Sometimes I make Missy sit as well... especially when the cars are coming toward us. :) Other times I work on 'let's go' so that she doesn't have to sit every time.