Meet My New Pup!

Dlilly

Honored Member
I'm still trying to think of a name for him. He's an 8 month old Australian Kelpie. He's very friendly, and also crazy. He has a ton of energy and gets exited very easily. But he's also smartical!! Training him is going to be nuts!

Long story short, his family got him but they don't have the time for him anymore. They were taking GREAT care of him, and he wasn't misbehaving that badly.

When he is older, I'll be taking him to herding lessons. If he is able to herd ducks, then he can herd the ducks we own! If he isn't gently enough to herd ducks, I'll just stick with tricks and agility for him.

My life will never be the same…. It's going to be full of chaos!

Evie

Experienced Member
Oh but these herding breeds are so much fun!!

Enjoy the crazy amounts of energy :D "He" is the same age as Evie :)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh he is CUTE - and yes, he does look like a wild child, look at those eyes! :ROFLMAO: Kelpies have a crazy amount of energy, so you're gonna be BUSY (cuz he's gonna keep you that way!), but I know you'll love that, and you'll do a GREAT job!!! How did he come about, where did you get him?? Details!!!! We need details!!! :LOL:

Now I'm jealous too, cuz I'm really wanting another dog ... kinda having puppy pangs. :love:

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow!!! CONGRATS on the new pup, Dlilly!!!!:D Looks like one crazy pup!!! Can't even stand still for a photo, lol:ROFLMAO: He is ADORABLE!!!!!:love:

Puppylove

He's beautiful... I was going to suggest an aussie name for him but I can't think of any that are traditionally Australian..

Anneke

Honored Member
OH MY G.... I am coming over to steal him away!!!
I am a sucker for eyes and he has the most amazing look in those bright eyes!!!!
He looks like soooooo much fun!!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
He looks gorgeous - keep him busy and and working and you'll have a great dog there... Gorgeous eyes! Brill that you are going to try herding with him... And with training a wild child if any one can do it you can... if you can train a Beagle as well as you have Chance then anything is possible!!! Good luck and enjoy!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Oh my god - I think he could compete with Hosen for the award of "craziest dog face"!

He's just too cute!

MaryK

Honored Member
He's ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE(y) Jealous, green eyed monster just came around:D Kelpies are the greatest, and his EYES, already full of mischief. My kind of dog(y) .

Do make sure he doesn't get bored, coz their VERY creative in finding ways to amuse themselves:D Lateral thinkers of the first order! Double puppy proof everything, then take another look, that shelf may NOT be out of a kelpie's reach:eek: I know, had wall to wall artist paint, thankfully acrylic not oils, when Tiger Lily decided 'body painting' was a fun way to entertain herself and her bro- and the paints were WAAAAAAAAAAY up high but she climbed up - wouldn't have been Zeus, he's scared of heights.

I had a part Kelpie and she was top dog in agility, she just ADORED it, so maybe take him to agility classes once he's old enough. I had to get Tiger Lily vet checked to make sure she was strong enough to do some of the work, especially the A frame, which she excelled at, beating German Shepherds and ever other dog in the class.

Have fun, enjoy his energy he'll keep you fit:D

Dlilly

Honored Member
I've been getting a ton of Kelpie advice from a friend online who also owns a Kelpie. She gave me some super suggestions, like to use shaping and really make him think while teaching him, it will really wear him out. I tried some shaping wih the crate, and it worked!

He is taking a nap right now, so he will rest. I was worried he would never rest. I've been taking him on walks, letting him run in the yard, and doing a ton of shaping. This dog can and wants to keep going, but I have to stop him since he isn't used to this much activity, and he's still a puppy.

Everyone has been saying to watch out, because of the eyes. XD I think his eyes have mad him crazy!

MaryK

Honored Member
To me his eyes show intelligence, eagerness, a 'hey world I'm ready for anything:D I'm in luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv:D He looks so ready to learn, albeit at puppy pace:D Don't worry about him resting, he'll flop down, sleep like the dead for 15 minutes, maybe longer if you're lucky, then be ready to take on the world again.

So long as you don't over do him, if he looks a bit 'tired' or he's being going for ages, just quietly let him know it's 'end of play/training time', give him a toy, like a kong to keep him quiet AFTER a training session. Chances are he'll fall asleep while playing with it:)

These dogs don't show 'tired' easily, they're so ready to keep going long after many other breeds have 'given up', so it is up to you to understand your puppy, which you will:)

Kelpies have a ton of energy, they're definitely NOT lazy, sleepy heads.

Your friend's advice is excellent. Make him think!!!!!!!! He's got a super intelligent mind, the eyes show that, so the more he thinks about training, the more he'll enjoy it and so too will you - and the 'sleepy headed puppy':D

Kudos for finding out all you can about these wonderful dogs:D(y) Enjoy 'life with a Kelpie' you'll never have a dull moment:D