Me And My Dog

cowgirlemi

Hi my name is Emilie Johnson. My dogs name is Tia, she is 3 years old, and a basset hound mix. We are from Kansas in the USA. I am currently trying to teach my dog some trick, manners, and some obedience. My passion is to have a good relationship with my dog. I got interested in training my dog when we got her. I love my dog very very very very very much on a scale of 1 to 10, I love her on the scale on 10. So that is why i want to teach her things.:)

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!!:D It's great that you love your dog so much!!! We all love are dogs, that lead us to positive training. If you're looking to develop a bond or relationship, positive training is the best way to do it, imo.:) From obedience, to tricks, to agility, positive training helps to increase bonds and builds relationships. So stick around, we'd love to hear more stories, and if you need any advice or tips, we're always here to help!!! Also, we'd LOVE to see some pics of your pup!!! Enjoy the site!!!

cowgirlemi

I do have a question. I just got Tia from a friend of mine and the only things she knows is sit and her name. We've been working on laying down and she almost has that but do you have any tips for me like if I should do something or just keep working on it and encouaging her? If so I would really apprecieate it!:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Hi and Welcome:) We all love dogs here and that's why we use Positive Reinforcement Training only. Tia sound's delightful. Please post some pics, we adore seeing pics:D

First thing is to get a clicker and learn how to use that. http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/getting-started-with-a-clicker-for-newbies.5023/

They really do make training so much easier than just using praise and treats.

It only takes a few minutes to 'load' the clicker and once you've done that, then you can start to use it for lay down. Make sure as well as treating you also verbally praise her.

As already suggested Kikopups channel is awesome and a lot of very good vids there which will help you train Tia.

I also think that even though she's not a puppy any more, you may find some useful tips on the puppy training thread. Or try the General Obedience Thread, loads of good advice there.

For tricks, the trick thread is awesome.

Browse through this site and you'll find heaps of tips on training all manner of tricks.

Plus, you can always start a new thread with any questions you may have, everyone here will be only too willing to help you.:D

Dogster

Honored Member
I'll post my response from the shoutbox here:
I think you should post a seperate thread about this, you'll get more help on the forums. :)
Use a high-value treat, such as hotdogs or cheese, so the dog focuses on you more than distractions.
Also, start in an area where there are little or no distractions (your house, for example) You can then (slowly) move to more distracting areas (backyard, for example)then maybe a park, and so on.
Make sure thst your dog enjoys doing tricks, stop training if you see that he/she is nervous or uncomfortable. Never use corrections or punishments when training tricks. Use praise, treats and a clicker.

Dogster

Honored Member
You can find them in any pet store, or online. The box clickers are the cheapest and you can find them anywhere. The sound it makes is too loud for most dogs though, so you can add a piece of tape to soften the sound a bit.:)