Lucas

tylerthegiant

Sex: Male
Favorite Food: He pretty much gobbles up any kibble, for training treats he goes really nuts over any kind of meat (especially liver) and stinky cheese like blue cheese
List of Tricks: I don't know what constitutes a trick, so I'll list known cues
  1. Sit
  2. Down
  3. Stay
  4. Come
  5. Leave it
  6. Drop it
  7. Shake
  8. High five
  9. Wait
  10. Okay (release word)
  11. Touch
  12. Watch me
  13. Off
  14. Stand
I just realized the only "trick" he knows is shake LOL

Toys-He came to me not knowing what a toy was, but he goes nuts over stuffies now and just started playing with balls.

Habits-Lucas is a great problem solver, he can open any drawer, cabinet, door in the house (most have been "Lucas proofed" with baby proofing products. Lucas has two modes, ON and sleep. If he's not sleeping he's doing something. When he gets uncomfortable for whatever reason he paces. He likes to rub his head all over you when he likes you.

Problems-Lucas has a very low threshold for excitement. He becomes over stimulated very easily, and when you have a 130lb dog that stands at chest level this can be a big problem. He has been motion and touch sensitive in the past (meaning getting overstimulated by it-not aggressive), but we have come a long way in those areas and they almost are not a problem at all anymore. Still, with new things he has to be taught to generalize the calm behavior. Whenever something seems "off" to him (like moving a piece of furniture) he barks. He also has a tendency to bark at night because he doesn't see well in low light (I've trained him to stop when I flicker the porch lights). His bark is crazy loud because first of all danes have one of the loudest barks known to man, and secondly he's deaf and doesn't know how loud his bark is. Lucas's bark has only one volume. LOL He also gets overstimulated by smells. He also has fairly poor body awareness, although it's gotten a little better.

Strengths-he is super, super sweet. He is eager to please, once we bonded and he could be taught there are other rewarding options available to him other than going nuts over things. He is very gentle with children and friendly with people. He is a happy dog, even though he has moments of being unsure or anxious he recovers very quickly from them. His social skills with other dogs are PERFECT! It's amazing to watch, he knows how to handle every situation with another dog perfectly. When to ignore and diffuse, when to assert himself, how to do those things clearly and perfectly. It's awesome. He picks things up quickly, even though he has a short attention span.

Temperament-High energy level (yes-couch potatoes danes can be high energy). Excitable, friendly, gentle, confident, solid in that nothing phases this dog very long, I can't imagine anything so traumatic that it would change his personality. Once I can get him properly socialized and well trained because of his solid temperament there is nothing this dog won't enjoy doing and nowhere I wouldn't take him that dogs are allowed.

And anything else you'd like us to know-Lucas was an outdoor dog before I adopted him. He lived on a ranch and his job was to keep coyotes off the ranch to protect the livestock. He did it very well. A little too well as he'd jump the fence and keep going through the desert chasing the coyotes. His previous owner said he was untrainable but I didn't believe it. This dog, because of his size, disinterest and mistrust of people, his over excitability, his requiring different communication style, and his complete lack of house manners was my most difficult dog to date. I can't even begin to describe, but let's just say I've spent a year now getting him to the point that he has enough attention to me calmness of mind to even teach anything that will be reliable. I have turned him into an average dog rather than a complete wild beast who is unsafe due to size and excitability. I am very proud of him and looking to step up his training at this point.

tylerthegiant

Ah, well he's totally worth it! Someday when he reaches his full potential (and I know it's there-the best is yet to come) instead of being the some-times laughing stock of my neighborhood, or the crazy dane lady, or the pitied dog owner people will be envious of that remarkable dog. I wouldn't give back my worst day with him for anything. I'm crazy in love with this dog. I have told him many times I'm not sure anyone else would put up with him, but of course he can't hear me.

MaryK

Honored Member
You're not a crazy Dane lady but one very special person who's taken a wild dog and brought out the best and yes, I think everyone will be VERY envious of you and your model canine citizen!:) , Lucas and you have already come a long way and I' sure we'll be hearing more on Lucas. He sounds a lovely, lovely dog!:love:

btw I'm sure he does 'hear' how much you love him, in his own special way!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Wow Lucas is beautiful and stunning. He sounds like a really smart boy. I love how half of his face has markings, while the other side is white. I love great Danes, my neighbor breed Great Danes( sadly she passed) I used to hang out with the pups a lot. I actually almost got a blind and somewhat deaf one because the owner put down any pup with disability.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Wow Lucas is beautiful and stunning. He sounds like a really smart boy. I love how half of his face has markings, while the other side is white. I love great Danes, my neighbor breed Great Danes( sadly she passed) I used to hang out with the pups a lot. I actually almost got a blind and somewhat deaf one because the owner put down any pup with disability.
So sad, but then I guess that's how you eliminate those unwanted traits. I was reading somewhere about Border Collies and how, early on in the development of the breed, they would cull any dogs that drew blood on livestock because they wanted to eradicate that hard mouth entirely. Pretty harsh by today's standards. Now I guess they would just be neutered/spayed most of the time. At least I would hope so.:(

tylerthegiant

Yes, the "lethal whites" (the double merle gene that creates the impairments-it's called that because many of them die in utero) are often culled at birth. Lucas overcame an obstacle just in being born. The world would definitely be a less interesting place w/o him. I think he's wonderful. He is a handsome fella, isn't he? :love:

sara

Staff member
Yes, the "lethal whites" (the double merle gene that creates the impairments-it's called that because many of them die in utero) are often culled at birth. Lucas overcame an obstacle just in being born. The world would definitely be a less interesting place w/o him. I think he's wonderful. He is a handsome fella, isn't he? :love:
Actually, that's not true. The lethal white gene is coined from the term used with horses, where the foals with the lethal white gene do either die in utero or shortly after birth. When used to describe the double merle gene in dogs, it's because breeders tend just to kill them. "Lethal White" dogs are NOT unhealthy, nor are they more likely to die, except by human interference. Alot of deafie owners consider the term derogative as it's an excuse breeders use to kill pups even though they're perfectly healthy, except for a little deafness or blindness.

NOW, in Danes, there IS a double Harle gene, in which babies with the double harle gene die in utero, early enough that they are re-absrbed. The merle and harle genes in danes are rather confusing. as you can get a "double merle" from a harle to merle mating (called merlequin) as harle comes from the merle gene... confusing as heck, and dangerous for the pups!!!

sara

Staff member
oh, and he's one GORGEOUS dane!!! I am so hooked on doubles! The dane I rescued, fostered and transported was such a gorgeous guy, with the sweetest disposition... I'd love a dane someday!!!

tylerthegiant

Sara, thanks! I know there is a lot of misinformation out there about the deafies. Some of the info I found stated that deafies have cognitive and social problems, are prone to bite when startled, a bunch of hooey as far as I could tell from Lucas and other deafie owners. Tracked down the source of information for that particular article and wouldn't you know it? It was a harl breeder, think they might have been justifying culling the whites? Hmmm.....

Are you able to provide me with any of the sources of information you referenced? I'd love the read more about the breeding that creates these conditions in Danes.

Lucas is a testament to why putting down a deaf dog is ridiculous, no animal could enjoy life more than he does and he sure gives me a lot in my life. He definitely gets attention wherever we go.

Your dachshunds are so darling, I love doxies, they are such funny little dogs with so much personality! I mean, just look at them, how can you be around a doxie and not just feel happier?

sara

Staff member
Yeah, My fav site for info about doubles is the Lethal White Project, also there is another Aussie site that's got fantastic info about it, but most of what I learned I got from the Deaf Dog Yahoo Group, there are so many, very knowledgeable people on that group, that have so many awesome links to share... But I think I have some of them bookmarked... let me see what I can find for you :)

sara

Staff member

sara

Staff member
Oh and thanks for the nice comments about my Bookends... They're funny little munchkins, for sure! Mouse was rescued by a lady who rescues and fosters danes... she was fostered with 8 danes until I could drive through the mountains to go get her... She certainly developed a LARGE personality because of it! LOL

tylerthegiant

That first article is where I read about all the behavioral issues for deafies.

"Social instability & inadequacy. Dogs with sensory defects are often unable to interact with their own species as well as with humans with full & satisfactory success. Such pups may well be identified, isolated & treated as different right from the start by the dam & the other littermates. Many develop poorly, fail to adapt & have multiple problems coping with normal daily actitivies; they are often described as "shy" or "'spooky" & the bite incidence for such animals is high. Some are picked on, most have trouble with normal events, esp. those involving more than the immediate family (the vet, boarding, etc.), while others need another pet constantly with them to cope with the world at large & suffer tremendously when this animal is not near them. Death by automobile is a common end for such dogs, but most are simply given up to rescue when they become too huge a burden for the family who bought them as a pup. Many will never be placed due to their poor social skills. Of course there are the sucess stories--but you cannot plan on being one of them necessarily. Without early idenfication, owner-support & quality training the prospects are poor. Which is why sensory deficient dogs so often end up in rescue/re-homed. Even breeders who make them do not necessarily know how to cope with them."

Very biased observations IMO. I just don't hear most of this with any consistency from deafie owners.

But the info on the genetics is great!

sara

Staff member
Yeah, exactly, I don't like the site because of that biased, uninformed crap, but the genetics info is spot on, which is why I posted it :)

blacknym

Experienced Member
He looks like he could be a handful... Good in you for taking this challenge. He is a handsome boy!

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Huh.. I didn't know that dogs were pts for having unwanted traits. I always assumed that the breeders just sold them with a spay/neuter contract like the rest of the dogs who don't have the correct traits to be bred. That's kinda crummy.

Lucas is gorgeous. When I was reading about him though, and you mentioned his loud bark, I realized that I can't recall ever hearing a Great Dane bark. Now I'll be on the lookout for that when I'm at events!

tylerthegiant

You can literally hear him all over the neighborhood, and when he's inside, people think he's outside. If you've heard an English Mastiff bark, it's pretty close.